Brew In A Bag Competition Successes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

Everyone starts somewhere I guess ;)

cheers

Darren

heheheh, that's the nicest thing I think I've ever read from you Darren - almost like a compliment. Well done, feels good, doesn't it! :icon_cheers:

Cheers - Mike

Hey,

Everyone starts somewhere I guess ;)

cheers

Darren

I didnt think you would enter this thread Darren, but now that you have, I would have expected more from you

Ummmm, then again, maybe not :p

Well, hopefully a few more QLDers will enter the nats and we'll show them where the cow sits in the cabbage patch (cue frantic banjo music)

:icon_chickcheers:

You could put 10 brewers next to each other, all with the same recipe and ingredients, and you would have 10 different brews before you as a result - whether the systems were BIAB or not. What counts is knowing your system and being able to tweak it to produce the beer you want to produce. This takes experience and a willingness to take on feedback from other brewers.

If it pleases the court, your honour, I rest my case....

:beer:

Just an update on how my County Fair entries have been going. A first out of 4 with a taste based judges score and a first out of 2 with a BJCP score sheet. I do not remember the exact score but it was between the 45 and 50 point outstanding rating. It was by an Apprentice judge I do not know. I looked and seem to remember the other beer was in the 33 point range.

I know not big wins but the score sheet helps. Now the challenge is on to see if I can duplicate the recipe and results a second time.

Great results Katzke, anything over 40 is a brilliant result but over 45 you're in the wrong profession :icon_cheers: What style of beers are they?

Its probably getting too late in the year to do this
But y not have every BIAB person we know INCLUDING the all new ButtersBIAB to create a light and delicate TO style beer and enter them in just a single category and flood the judges with nothing but BIAB as their choice
Im not up to the understanding of how to get placings in the nationals but certainly that would get the attention of the Nay sayers

Or we can just give those nay sayers the finger and sit back and enjoy a beer on our stress free and easy brew days

Just a thought

Tom

Bit late this year but we could do a push next year! Was talking to Ross who explained the technicalities. To get into the National (around end of October??) you need to win first second or third in a class in the State comp. Then you can enter that class in the Nats.

So to do a flood you would need a number of BIABers getting up at state level in, say Australian Lager, Pilsener etc then go on to the Nats. I'm doing a first tilt at it this year and in fact I'm going to pitch my Aus lager that I brewed during the week with a Swiss Lager yeast and reckon it should scrape in, in time for the State comp (entries deadline 9 September). I've used Galaxy Malt and rice, mashed low, hopped light and hopefully the Swiss yeast will clean it up nicely. I also have a Czech Pilsener All Pilsener Malt all Saaz and Urquell yeast but it won't be presentable till beginning of September so if it has come good by then I'll put that in as well. Heres hoping :icon_cheers:

Enter the TTLL Ross and I consumed this morning. Just get a few out of the keg now before BigBurper rolls over!

Cheers

Chappo

BTW thanks for Sausage Rolls for smoko :icon_drool2:

INCLUDING the all new ButtersBIAB ...

Not gonna happen. Never entered a comp, probably never will enter a comp. I brew beer for my tastes, not to pigeonhole it and tick all the boxes on what others think it should be like. I like pineapple on my pizza....if I make a pizza for myself, I'll put pineapple on...I won't leave it off, just cos a whole bunch of Italian chefs that I've never met say it's wrong. ;)

Not gonna happen. Never entered a comp, probably never will enter a comp. I brew beer for my tastes, not to pigeonhole it and tick all the boxes on what others think it should be like. I like pineapple on my pizza....if I make a pizza for myself, I'll put pineapple on...I won't leave it off, just cos a whole bunch of Italian chefs that I've never met say it's wrong. ;)

NO BUTTERS NO!

Chef%20angry%20mad%20cook%20south%20park.gif

I've bumped the sausage roll recipe in the Beer Foods forum. Now I can't stop thinking about how little bits of pineapple would go in a sausage roll. Stop playing with my mind Butters :blink:

I'm doing a fair replica of the Landlord for the State Comp and will do a taste test in a few weeks, just a bit concerned that the current batch may have 'peaked' before then.

Hmm nearly beer o'clock. Nearly beer o'clock nearly beer o'clock................ :icon_drunk:

:icon_offtopic:

Definitely beer o clock here, thanks for reminding me!

Crundle

Great results Katzke, anything over 40 is a brilliant result but over 45 you're in the wrong profession :icon_cheers: What style of beers are they?

Both the same beer in 2 different fairs.

Kind of an odd brew. I have all this raw wheat to use up and do not care for Belgian beers so made up what I call an American Style Wit. It is a classic Wit recipe with US-05 yeast. I am sorry to say I ran out and am waiting on my UK Style Wit with Fuggles and S-04 yeast. I cut the gravity down to the OB range and mashed a bit higher for more body and the bugger is still kicking out a bubble now and then. It has been 2 weeks and I am ready to keg it. Just not sure it is ready yet. I guess it is time to dig out the sample tube and get a gravity.

Just an update on how my County Fair entries have been going. A first out of 4 with a taste based judges score and a first out of 2 with a BJCP score sheet. I do not remember the exact score but it was between the 45 and 50 point outstanding rating. It was by an Apprentice judge I do not know. I looked and seem to remember the other beer was in the 33 point range.

I know not big wins but the score sheet helps. Now the challenge is on to see if I can duplicate the recipe and results a second time.

Need to update to correct the score. I was confused for good reason. The score was 43 of 50 and they gave an additional 5 points for Presentation. The presentation points must have been a fair thing. So I remembered 48 points when it was only 43.

Instead of Outstanding my beer was just Excellent. I will take that.

See my correction on the score. Do not what anyone to quote incorrect info.

Latest posts

Back