POLL: Do you keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keg or bottle?

• I only bottle my beers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horses for courses, I keg some and bottle others

• I use cans or something

• Total voters
Just about to start kegging, but will keep bottling small volumes as well, as I usually make 25L batches.

JD

19 litre kegs, 18l kegs, growlers, Darwin stubbies, 750ml longnecks, 500ml swing tops, stubbies - if it can be refilled, it gets refilled around here.
Most batches go into a keg and a range of bottles, apart from RIS which only get bottled - far too dangerous to have that available on tap.

Just kegs for me. But occasionally I fill a growler or a large 1.5L grolsch bottle with the leftovers.

I'd also be interested to learn how many keggers pay close attention to the CO2 volume of the beer. Not me. 300kpa for 24 hours no matter what. Maby I should.
There surely must be some implications here for a traditionally bitter beverage like beer.

For instance, researchers have found that the carbon dioxide bubbles in Champagne transport volatile organic chemicals into the nose, stimulating all the olfactory sensations that are associated with a fine sparkling wine.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/biology-behind-beers-bite-youre-tasting-carbonic-acid-6c10962819

I don't know what the effect of CO2 on bitterness is, except that beers traditionally made with high levels of CO2 like wiezen also have low levels of bitterness.

It's not necessarily straightforward: it is usual to look for high levels of acid in sparkling wine base, they become flabby and coarse otherwise. Champagne is usually around 12 g/l CO2 (moussant). That's why it comes in heavy bottles with a punt. There's also a lower CO2 version, around 8 g/l CO2(cremant).

Dave70 said:
I'd also be interested to learn how many keggers pay close attention to the CO2 volume of the beer. Not me. 300kpa for 24 hours no matter what. Maby I should.
There surely must be some implications here for a traditionally bitter beverage like beer.
I don't pay attention to it, they usually get 45PSI for about 20-22 hours then after being left for a 6 or so hours, they're burped and hooked up at my usual 14/15PSI for serving. I find the carbonation level is fine, not too little and not too much.

I noticed in my big stout brew that its carbonation level is lower than the lager and red ale that were also in there at the same time, and they all were sitting on the same pressure.

Reman said:
I've converted to all keg, bottle from the keg if required. I even have a RIS aging in bulk in a keg! Will have to see what happens if I run out of kegs to age in.
get more kegs...

Yob said:
get more kegs...
Want to organise a bulk buy? :D

It should be possible to get brand new Keg King ball-lock kegs for about $100 delivered if bought in bulk.

I'd be interested in at least 3, maybe as many as 5.

If I bottle, what will I do with this?
gallery_3054_1149_748309.jpg

Well as of about 2 hours ago i keg, i also got 6 bottles (longnecks) from what was left in the fermenter

rps20160830_230339.jpg

rps20160830_230412.jpg

rps20160830_230452.jpg

Latest posts

Back