Do You Guys Read Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.J.Kelly

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a quick straw poll for you guys - in general do you think home brewers read fiction (eg. thriller / adventure) books much?

It's seems from the other thread that most of you guys tend to move toward outdoor / restoration / building activities when you aren't brewing - but would there be any readers amongst you guys?

I'm asking because I've recently written a thriller / adventure novel about a family that runs a craft brewery in Sydney. I'm considering visiting a local Sydney home brew swap meet / festival / competition with a few reduced price books under my arm to see if people would be interested - but I'm not sure if this would be a worthwhile thing to do ( or if I'd get a frosty reception :huh: ).

Any opinions are welcome! Cheers, Matt

I read all the time but mostly classic Sci Fi.

Most of the brewers I have met can read (some of them can even do it without their lips moving) so try your luck.

More of an e book man myself these days.

If you can get Jack Thompson to narrate I'll be up for it.

(Is the secret hop Sorachi Ace?..)

Dave70 said:
More of an e book man myself these days.

If you can get Jack Thompson to narrate I'll be up for it.

(Is the secret hop Sorachi Ace?..)
Haha. I'll keep quiet on the secret hop for now! :)

It's in ebook format too - if you're interested I'm happy to send you (or anyone on this forum) a free digital copy. If you read on kindle / kobo / etc I can send it straight to your library.

Matt

I have read all the Ian Rankin books (plus heaps of other crime novels)just got delivery, and engrossed in the latest Rebus novel, no craft breweries in it, but plenty of pubs, some of which I have drank in. :)

I love a hard boiled book. Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, et al.
Hope the book is a great success.

Half way through the Game of Thrones set - it's a big read!

I read any book that has lots of pictures. The more pictures, the more likely I am to read them

...except technical manuals, call me weird but I really like reading technical manuals :ph34r:

I read maninly non-fiction at home (80% brewing/beer/history books) but only fiction while travelling for work.

In terms of crime novels, (I wouldn't say thriller) I really like Carl Hiaasen's books about the Florida underworld.
I guess Skinny Dip would be my favourite.

But also don't forget the excellent war+action+crypto book: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
This is my favourite book. You should read it so we can talk about it. ;)

Cover_of_Cryptonomicon_UK_Trade_PB_9780099410676.jpg
41FTgnV6dbL._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hmm, I kinda hijacked the thread. Sorry.

just reminded me to order some more books, just got Barlywine by Fal Allen and smoked beers by Ray Daniels

starting to get a decent brewing library going now :super:

I like to read the Gospel of the FSM.

I was told it was non fiction...............

Ducatiboy stu said:
I read any book that has lots of pictures. The more pictures, the more likely I am to read them

...except technical manuals, call me weird but I really like reading technical manuals :ph34r:
same... especially ones with pictures that move at around 25 frames per second and happen to be on the tv ;)

booker_h said:
I love a hard boiled book. Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, et al.
Hope the book is a great success.
Cheers Booker . :)

FYI everyone - a few people have PM'd me and I've sent the free ebook over to them. Happy to give out more if anyone wants - I'm trying to build up some awareness for it at the moment.

Matt

My reading has dropped off this year. I moved closer to my work so lost the travel time that I would usually read. Now I only really get a few chapters in when I get on the plane (a couple times a month). Currently re-reading Lord of the Rings (about 1/3rd of the way through Return of the King), after I re-read The Hobbit a while back when the movies came out.

I have the wheel of time series waiting in a box at home to read after I get done with this. I also like to space out some of the meatier books with a bit fast paced Matthew Reilly.

M.J.Kelly said:
I'm considering visiting a local Sydney home brew swap meet / festival / competition with a few reduced price books under my arm to see if people would be interested - but I'm not sure if this would be a worthwhile thing to do ( or if I'd get a frosty reception :huh: ).
That sounds like an alright idea, I think most home brewers would hear you out. Maybe get into contact with some of the home brew clubs in the Sydney area, they might have a meet or something you could go to or at least give you an idea of the events coming up etc. Brew club section is http://aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/35-brew-clubs/

I do enjoy reading but tend not to read a lot of fiction. I like fiction but get distracted by other reading material. Currently "IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale" has got my attention. It's a brilliant history of beer and IPA.

I read most nights, mostly brewing, chemistry, tech manuals for work. I don't get to read as much fiction as I'd like to, but I love horror, sci fi, bizarre and perverse novels, poetry and a tonne of William Burroughs.

Finished reading Woman in the window, got to 60% through it and couldn't put it down, usual red herring thrown in by the author
Just started reading IPA Brewing Techniques Recipes and The Evolution of IPA (as welly suggested above) Interesting reading about the history of brewing in the UK, makes one wonder what some of those early beers were like before the industrial revolution.

Back