POLL: Do you keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keg or bottle?

• I only bottle my beers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horses for courses, I keg some and bottle others

• I use cans or something

• Total voters
I've just started kegging. Porters and stouts will still get bottled to age, but everything else will be kegged. So far I've realised that 3 is nowhere near enough kegs

Wolfman1 said:
I've just started kegging. So far I've realised that 3 is nowhere near enough kegs
Lol I started with 2, then got 2 more, then got 2 more.
I keep telling myself that if I get 2 more(total 8) that's all I need. But who am I kidding. The more kegs you've got, the more taps you can have, the more your beers age before they get on tap. Trouble is I need to build a collar on my chesty before I get another 2 kegs. It's a vicious cycle

i keg everything these days. every so often i will try to convince my self to do a couple of bottles if i brew something a bit special or out of the ordinary then think about cleaning and sanitising the bottles and change my mind quickly.

I've only bottled so far, but I have one of the 5L mini kegs on the way from the group buy and then I plan on buying one of the 9.5L keg King kegs and just swap the regulator between them. So I'll have 14.5L kegged and 8.5L bottled from each 23L batch.

There's something romantic about kegging.....

I'm kegging 100%. I used to make a few tallies as well but with cold crashing absorbing co2 the bulk prime or coopers pellets would over carbonate.

Kegs are set at 140kpa for 36hrs which achieves a great carbonation. I used to do 300kpa for 24hrs but I'm not I a hurry anymore. Usually after the 36hrs at 140kpa, I just turn off the reg and see how much it absorbs over the next few days.

Keg but just bought a counter pressure filler to be able to share a few bottles.

Keg everything to 19L kegs.
Run from keg to growlers if I need to take it fishing or to a mates.
Sometimes the keg comes fishing.
Kegs are the reason I'm brewing. Do not like bottling.

Yob said:
Big kegs, mini kegs... Kegs, kegs, kegs...

And an army of growlers...
That makes me think of a skinhead growler army.

Killer Brew said:
Answered only bottle but have recently kegged off my first beer. Not sure it is for me yet but will put another beer in once the Kolsch runs out. Might be more into it in summer when I'm more up for walking out to the shed to get a beer.
I find the same lack of motivation some evenings, as all the beer is downstairs in the "rooms" under the house.

mckenry said:
If I bottle, what will I do with this?
attachicon.gif
gallery_3054_1149_748309.jpg
Just post photos of your glory days, or 6 taps of soda water, soft drink and tonic water.

As for me, 3 x 30 litre kegs, 8 x 10.4 litre Junior Plus kegs, a racetrack 9 litre keg and 16 x 19 litre ball-locks and 2 X 18 (or 19) litre pin locks. Do I keg, or what?

Kegging was the only reason that I started home brewing! I couldn't and still hate thinking of cleaning and sanitizing bottles... I've only ever bottled 2 full batches. 1 and RIS and a WRDA clone that all the mates just love so was to give away. Started with 3 kegs now at 10x 19L, 2x 9.5L, 2x 5L, 5x 2L growlers and have built a stockpile of bottles (mainly swing tops) for the remainer.

Keg keg keg!!

TL:DR - keg. You can go backwards but not forwards.

Endless hours of bottle washing... Done with it, so done.

Since I started Kegging, I've always been disappointed with the results from bottling, malt flavor and hop forward beers.

The early years bottling kit beers probably benefited from months of conditioning in the bottle.

Les the Weizguy said:
<snip>
As for me, 3 x 30 litre kegs, 8 x 10.4 litre Junior Plus kegs, a racetrack 9 litre keg and 17 x 19 litre ball-locks and 2 X 18 (or 19) litre pin locks. Do I keg, or what? (edited for number of ball lock kegs)
</snip>
never happened unless you see the pics...

kegz.jpg

Showed that pic to to the boss Les and she said " no, don't even think about it, you have too many as it is ".
Bum

I'm still trying to get my head around this kegging stuff.... Do kegged beers actually benefit from conditioning as you would with bottles or are you best to get them in the fridge as soon as they're filled and purged?

From my limited experience you can condition (with priming sugar and all) them in the keg much like a bottle in fact its what I am doing right now.

But others heavily advocate putting them straight into the fridge and hooking them up to gas.

Having done both starting off with straight onto the Co2, I can't say I've noticed much difference except I do like a bit more age on my beers before I tap them.

Latest posts

Back