Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always number every box, including the Senate paper. I start from my least favourite candidate and work back up to my number one choice. Takes a bit of time, but I see it as my democratic right to make my own choices, and not be treated like some voting fodder for the parties to horse trade with as they like.

And I always refuse to accept the "how we want you to vote for us" handouts before I go in.

Careful. Apparently you'll end up with Brian Harradine as the pope or somesuch.

I'm not a roman catholic, so that will never happen !

I sometimes find people writing utter bollocks as humorous. Worked this time too.

Yep certainly do remember it. Still just trying to get my head around why if our media and pollies seem to think that boat people are the single biggest issue facing Australia at the moment. I'd really love to hear about some of the other real issues facing us from both sides. (Not saying boat people is a non issue, just way down the list IMO)

manticle said:
I spend my time on the ballot paper making sure australians against further immigration, christian democrats, family first and other backward looking, reactionary geese are listed at the bottom. Always difficult trying to work out the least preferred.
Doesn't that still leave someone at the top?

Good to see the libs have got all the murdoch papers in their pocket. Cant wait for the liberal spin and bullshit to spew out each day from his papers.

Balanced coverage my ass.

Bridges said:
Yep certainly do remember it. Still just trying to get my head around why if our media and pollies seem to think that boat people are the single biggest issue facing Australia at the moment. I'd really love to hear about some of the other real issues facing us from both sides. (Not saying boat people is a non issue, just way down the list IMO)
My understanding is that the issue is so hugely prominent because several marginal seats in which immigration is a hot-button topic are poised to swing the balance of power in Parliament should they be won by one side or the other.

How fucked is it that refugees and asylum seekers are caught up in the disgusting show of political one-upmanship. We should all feel ashamed that we allow both parties to engage in this bullshit. All they want is a better life.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How fucked is it that refugees and asylum seekers are caught up in the disgusting show of political one-upmanship. We should all feel ashamed that we allow both parties to engage in this bullshit. All they want is a better life.
Try telling that to the average punter though.

I just don't get it, my family came here by boat in the 70's for a better life, I'm sure there is a bloody significant percentage of the population with similar heritage regardless of what point in time that migration happened, why the **** is it an issue that people want that same oppertunity, absolutley staggering in this country.

The other part that irks me, we have such a stupidly low population by area that it's not like we're going to run out of room, or even bloody jobs for that matter, more people means more jobs are required, even if it's just the service industries. I know a lot of Australia is basically uninhabitable, but there is a shit load of low population areas on the coast line.

Bah, the whole "boat people" rhetoric pisses me off so much, it's the worst form of thinly veiled racism in this country, and there are more than a few examples.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Too ******* right.
Really shitty with both sides' perspectives on this but labour should be pretty ******* ashamed of their current policy.

manticle said:
Too ******* right.
Really shitty with both sides' perspectives on this but labour should be pretty ******* ashamed of their current policy.
Labor is simply trying to sway the swinging voter and the "centre right". He knows that, when faced with a choice at the ballot box, most lefties will vote for him regardless, even if they don't agree with him on this issue because he knows they will never vote for Abbott. There is a large percentage of the population who are unsure of who they will vote for but think Labor is too soft on certain issues, especially "border protection". He has also nullified Abbott's "stop the boats" slogan.

I agree that the policy decision is a blight on our country but IMHO it is just for the election. I'm not sure too many of the grass roots members would be in favour. It will probably be broken up by November if Rudd wins.

I used to get really wound up by politics. Now I just shake my head and sigh.

2jqnt.jpg

wakkatoo said:
oooh, you are in trouble if billygoat sees this. He does love them goats! :p
We should put his type behind fences, with the rest of those goat arrivals.

Latest posts

Back