Ozito For Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I have been searching and reading everything in here about powering my new mill. I'm buggered if I can find a 1400rpm motor anywhere locally and a new or refurbished one was going to start a over $130.

One of the threads I read was a guy who bought an Ozito from Bunnings for $99 that seemed to have a low enough rpm to do the job. Can't remember if it was driving a MM2 or a millmaster. Anyway I can't find that thread again. Have tried the google site:ausiehombrewer bit and putting the + sign in the search engine hear. Has turned up all good stuff but not that thread again.

From memory the OPer referred to bunnings as bunningtons if that jogs any memory. I'm off to the big smoke today and was considering getting one of these ozito hammer drills. I think he said it had a spade handle so may have been this model linky It has no reference to the drills rpm though from what I can see. I have a cheapie dynalink hammer drill and when I tried that the other day it is WAY too fast.

I've been into the Bundy bunnings a few times since to try and get some more info or even buy one but supposedly at $99 they can't keep em on the shelves.

Any help would be appreciated.
H

Henno
Ozita make paint/texturecoat mixers which are slow and powerful, would be ideal for grain. Not sure on price sorry.

I have an ozito lawnmower and ozito whipper snipper, both very robust and reliable. Ozito is a rebadged Bunnings 'house' brand exactly like ALDI have with their folksy 'fantasy brand' names like 'ocean rise' fish and 'cowbelle' cheese etc, however Ozito seem to be good quality but inexpensive. I'd go the drill.

Hi Henno

I recently posted this option in another homebrew site and reckon it may be a good option to slow a lekky motor instead of pulleys. Its a speed regulator for 240 volt motors that keeps torque up, but It only works on brush type motors.. any opinions?
By the way my ozito drill works a treat, but I found this speed controller by accident and thought it may put an old leccy motor I have had lying around to good use. Sorry i cant vouch for it, but maybe someone who has a bit of an idea could "bust my myth"

Linky- http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_111364/article.html

I'm about to put a motor on my mill too. Check this thread (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...28437&st=20) and look at what AndrewQLD has done with a 24V motor from Oatley Electonics. I have just ordered one of them and will put it all together in a coupleof weeks time. I have also ordered a speed controller module from Oatley and will be able to have variable speed by using a potentiometer.
Cheers
Tim

just brewed today heres my first attempt with this motor
absolute luxuary compared to the hand crank

IMG_1440_1_1.JPG

IMG_1441_1_1.JPG

As per the Monster mill site Linky, you risk too much flour with higher speeds.

QldKev

Kev, I made a mistake in my orig. post, my mill is a Mashmaster. Given others experience to date with this mill I don't think the cordless would cut it.

Kev, I made a mistake in my orig. post, my mill is a Mashmaster. Given others experience to date with this mill I don't think the cordless would cut it.

I think the mill speed should not increase too much for the Mashmaster (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Not sure of the amount of torque required for that mill. But for any motor you plan on running I would start with a small feed hole and enlarge this based on the load while crushing. Ie. If the motor doesn't slow much open up the feed hole more. With my 40nm drill I crush 5.5kg grain in under 3 minutes. A smaller feed hole would increase this time more, but have less load onto the drill/motor. I did post on here about having a larger feed hole than I currently use but the drill was bogging with the load when crushing the grain for a weizen. Just ideas.

QldKev

I recently got an ozito electric hammer drill for $30 to do the job. Has a variable speed which is great. At this stage I have one hand to hold the drill and another to pour the grain, but will probally make a system to lock in the drill to free up the hands.

On a related note, anyone think this would drive my Mashmaster Mill.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROTOOL-Festool-MXP...93%3A5|294%3A30

Speeds look OK but it looks like it's variable speed which leads me to think that like most other variable speed drives there still wouldn't be enough torque to get it up from standstill.

check this ebay item: 120446672959

you want a drill with a gearbox, and this one looks as tho' it might have one,

Peter

Hi Henno

I recently posted this option in another homebrew site and reckon it may be a good option to slow a lekky motor instead of pulleys. Its a speed regulator for 240 volt motors that keeps torque up, but It only works on brush type motors.. any opinions?
By the way my ozito drill works a treat, but I found this speed controller by accident and thought it may put an old leccy motor I have had lying around to good use. Sorry i cant vouch for it, but maybe someone who has a bit of an idea could "bust my myth"

Linky- http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_111364/article.html

Any further thought on this one. My 20 yo uni electronics suggests this should go close to delivering a high percentage of the motors rated power at lower speeds......... but it is 20 years old!!!!!!

Back