Ozito For Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mentioning - I used an ozito electric drill last night on some copper work for my brewery, and the bit got stuck, with the motor running but stalled. Within 2 seconds massive amounts of smoke came out of the unit and set the smoke alarm off. These cheap drills have no stall protection, so I would not leave this unit unattended on a mill incase you do stall it, based on the amount of smoke i saw, it will likely set on fire very quickly.

I tried a variety of drills to drive my millmaster, all to no avail. Ozito being the first and cheapest option (700W hammer drill or there abouts). They can run at low speeds, but they also run at nowhere near there stated power at those low speeds. It wouldn't even crack a single grain dropped in whilst running at anything but full speed.

That's my experience with them anyway, I ended up getting a proper motor and gearing it down with pulleys to a nice 115rpm. It has enough torque to do anything, I reckon itd even crush another millmaster.

Windscreen Wiper Motor?
Just looking at the connection plug?

yes it is a windscreen wiper motor.
just used an ohm meter to find the 2 winding wires
not sure what the other wires are for but not needed

IMG_1673_1_1.JPG

I have an ozito spade handle drill (OZSHD1050WA) in combo with barley crusher: works great. From recollection the drill was sub $100 and had a three year warranty. It has the torque required and low rpm (often used to mix paint etc).

stakka82 said:
Bit of a gravedig, but...

Does anyone use an ozito drill similar to this for their mill? I just bought a malt muncher from KK and need a drill. Low speed high torque corded ozito drill with spade handle:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-1050w-spade-handle-drill_P6290127.aspx?search=high+torque+drill&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Is it just gonna die on me after the first crack?
I'm using this drill on my MiniMill.
Plenty of grunt even at snail speeds, works really well.

Been through 3 drills on my Victoria mill before finding this one. It's an absolute beast, and most importantly it handles the low speeds without shitting itself.

I use the Ozito 1050W drill, had it for over a year, works a treat with my monster mill.

stakka82 said:
Bit of a gravedig, but...

Does anyone use an ozito drill similar to this for their mill? I just bought a malt muncher from KK and need a drill. Low speed high torque corded ozito drill with spade handle:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-1050w-spade-handle-drill_P6290127.aspx?search=high+torque+drill&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Is it just gonna die on me after the first crack?
This is definitely the drill that God uses.

Highly recommended.

Hahaha Bribie. Awesome guys, just the set of responses you want. And bloody quickly too!

Will be buying this on Saturday, then I'm in business.

Freakin noisy though mate. Makes me feel like a MAN!!

I bought one of those 1050W beasts on the recommendation of AHB and using it on my mill is poetry in motion. I'm convinced I could crush a grain mill, in my grain mill, using this drill. It's basically like the grain isn't even there. I used a cheap cordless drill before and it would clonk out every few seconds, had to shake the mill around, pour the grain out, try again ... The Ozito doesn't even give a shit. Grain flows through like water.

The only issue I have with it is that it is huge and heavy as hell. You want some kind of rest or something to balance it on unless you're a masochistic body builder.

So are these definitely working on the original MillMaster?

Maybe I'm just having a mental blank here, but why would it matter which mill it was? Aren't grain mills all basically identical except some are mysteriously $150 more expensive than others? As long as it has a protruding rod where you'd normally turn the handle, just stick the drill on there instead.

So is this drill really the cheapest option? I already have a cordless drill so whatever I buy will be on permanent attached-to-mill duties. Is there not some little motor out there that does what we want without the $90 outlay and inconvenience of the drill?

I thought I saw some of you guys using 24v or 12v dc motors?

I've never seen one of those motors you're talking about cost less than $90. Normally it's much more. If the motors were so cheap, we would all have them instead of drills. :p

But maybe somebody has a link to a grey market eBay store or something.

I agree it is heavy and noisy. I have my barley crusher mounted on a lid to a plastic bucket (like most I guess). I just rest the drill on it side on a second bucket (with lid or I guess you could just turn the bucket upside down) of the same size and it frees up my other hand to pour more grain in the hopper etc and saves from holding the drill the whole time. The drill has an dial adjustable trigger so you set the maximum rpm, then just use a rubberband to hold the trigger down and you don't even have to hold the drill. Simple but effective. Might get some ear muffs.

You know you can lock the trigger on without having to use a rubber band right? It's a feature of the drill.

slash22000 said:
Maybe I'm just having a mental blank here, but why would it matter which mill it was? Aren't grain mills all basically identical except some are mysteriously $150 more expensive than others? As long as it has a protruding rod where you'd normally turn the handle, just stick the drill on there instead.
Nope, not all mills can be handled by the same motor or drill, simply because their rollers are larger and heavier and probably some other physical factors I'm not familiar with.

And some mills are more expensive simply because they are bigger, better and built to last a life time and don't bog down after a few years because of some design failure (non geared rollers spring to mind).

No mystery.

Back