Ozito For Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of the original MillMasters and run it with an Aldi $50 drill, I think it's 1050 watts.
It works fine, but it won't work very well from a standing start. I have to have the drill running before feeding in the grain.
That's probably because of the large size of the rollers and their width, and the fact there's quite a bit of weight to get moving.
If I reduced the feed in to a small area, I could probably mill from a standing start, but I'm happy with the fact I can mill 5 kg of grain in 30 to 60 seconds, depending on how fast I feed it in.

slash22000, I think i knew that but from recollection couldn't get it working properly with the grain. I'll try again and dispense with the rubberband if it works.

Arnie recommends it as well, heavy duty bit of kit.

TOTAL-RECALL-ARNOLD.jpg

These things have got some grunt & can twist ya wrist if ya not careful.
Confirmed. First time I milled with the Ozito, I was accustomed to my wee little cordless drill, the mill/grain had enough weight that the cordless would shit itself rather than shift the mill. Bloody Ozito just about catapulted my whole setup across the kitchen, almost sent me ass over heels like a bloody Judo throw or something.

Lesson here is, hold on tight, because the drill won't move, it moves everything else around it.

Do you guys run your Ozito at full speed?

I find full trigger pressure goes full speed no matter the setting, so I half-pull the trigger to get it to run at the slowest it will go without stalling.

Just wondering if I shouldn't bother and just chew through the grain as quickly as it goes?

tiprya said:
Do you guys run your Ozito at full speed?

I find full trigger pressure goes full speed no matter the setting, so I half-pull the trigger to get it to run at the slowest it will go without stalling.

Just wondering if I shouldn't bother and just chew through the grain as quickly as it goes?

All mills have a recommended speed range. Exceed this and you get more flour.

My Ozito spade died a few weeks ago. It was only six months old so I think it's just luck of the draw. I will be happily taking an exchange as it ran my three roller MM easily.

@ Tip, no not full speed. I tend to start up slowly and then run at maybe half speed. It handled 10 kg of grain pretty quickly without much flour. You will get a feel for it as you see the grist and as Qld kev says checkout your drills specs if you need.

Cheers

if you pull the trigger in full it runs fast
i lock my ozitio "On" and then dial in the speed (plus 3 clicks as the no load speed needs to be factored in) i want turning the "speed dial" on the trigger with no grain in the mill
i then it off at the plug at the wall leaving it "ON" at the trigger
toss the grain in and turn the plug back ON
then quickly adjust a click or two on the dial while running

these drills have a lot of torque !!

here is a vid of mine :)

That link to video doesnt work for me

When I got my Marga I took the crank handle, which has a winged end to fit into the driving "hole", to a local mechanic shop and they straightened it out, cut off to a few cm and it just lives permanently in the Ozito as a "drill bit". Stick the winged end into the mill socket and away it goes. I just stand there and hold it, not quite as fast as Maheel's mill but not bad for the money and gives a great BIAB size crush. I crank the speed down to a really fast Italian Mama making flour for her pizza and pasta.

marga.jpg

nice slippers Edak [piccie] or are they funky volly's?

I use a Taurus Aldi drill, similar, set up with a marga set in a plank, the plank sits atop the MT and just mill right into it

Drill.JPG

Hey crusty I have it bolted down so I don't have to worry about it ripping the mill off. If you look at the underside picture you will see the bolt had.

Cheers yob, they are some funky volley shoes I picked up in New York. I love them :)

Oh and a for the speed I use it as slowly as possible. I start it up with the trigger and press the hold button then adjust as slowly as possible.

Edak said:
Hey crusty I have it bolted down so I don't have to worry about it ripping the mill off. If you look at the underside picture you will see the bolt had.

Cheers yob, they are some funky volley shoes I picked up in New York. I love them :)
Cheers mate.

Edak said:
Oh and a for the speed I use it as slowly as possible. I start it up with the trigger and press the hold button then adjust as slowly as possible.
ahhhhh, so you have to dial down the speed AFTER you press the trigger.

I'll try that next time. I just thought the speed control on mine was stuffed

Back