Orfey's Hobgoblin Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

Reaction score
Hobgoblin is one of my favourite beers, and I've found a recipe by Orfy on many sites - if the number of references to this recipe are proportional to quality then its a good one.

Orfy's Hobgoblin - 23L
4.8kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
0.15kg Chocolate
Mash at 69 deg for 90 min

15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles FWH
15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 30 min
15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 0 min
Nottingham yeast

Has anyone tried this recipe? Also I prefer to use liquid yeast - Ive got both 1469 and 1187 in the fridge - what do you think would be best?

On a different point - I always add water to the mash tun then add grain. I'm ready "How to Brew" at the moment and JP says add grain first, and water a gallon at a time. How do others do this?

Thanks, Hazard

I put the grain in and then underlet into the mash tun.

Works fine - only once when i had 2 much grain (16kg) for the 38ltr mash tun did i ever see a dough ball.

Hobgoblin is one of my favourite beers, and I've found a recipe by Orfy on many sites - if the number of references to this recipe are proportional to quality then its a good one.

Orfy's Hobgoblin - 23L
4.8kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
0.15kg Chocolate

Nottingham yeast

Has anyone tried this recipe? Also I prefer to use liquid yeast - Ive got both 1469 and 1187 in the fridge - what do you think would be best?

On a different point - I always add water to the mash tun then add grain. I'm ready "How to Brew" at the moment and JP says add grain first, and water a gallon at a time. How do others do this?

Thanks, Hazard

I add all the water first then and the gran

I plan to do this one too, must have done the same research - i've come up with an almost similar one, but modified to my setup.
I've got an 1187 in the fridge for this recipe. The reason why you've mashed high would be to compensate for the notto?
(Add water to warm up esky, then add grain) Is it anything like cooking a cake? Milk then dry mix? Dry mix then Milk? does it matter :S

Hazard Orfy is a valued member of Home Brew Talk and american forum just like this one.

I have not made this beer but his beers get highly rated, check out the forum and look in the recipe section or do a search their should be a thread on that recipe some where.

Home Brew Talk

Orfy's Hobgoblin - 23L
4.8kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
0.15kg Chocolate

Nottingham yeast

Thanks, Hazard

Hobgoblin is a great drop if you can get a bottle of it in good nick.
What's the planned OG, FG and IBUs?

Like GMK I underlet

Hazard

I brew a Hobgoblin, slightly different to Orfys.

Rocked up to a case swap with a full keg, went home empty!

Here 'tis for comparison

92% Maris Otter
5.5% Medium Crystal
1.5% black malt
1% chocolate malt

Fuggles at 60
Fuggles and Styrians at 20
Fuggles and Styrians at 0

Wyeast 1187 - Ringwood

OG 1.062
EBC 38
IBU 36

I plan to do this one too, must have done the same research - i've come up with an almost similar one, but modified to my setup.
I've got an 1187 in the fridge for this recipe. The reason why you've mashed high would be to compensate for the notto?
Actually, mash temp is straight from Orfy's recipe - I plan to make this next weekend, probably use 1187 as you do, what temp would you recommend? I must admit, with 200g of carapil in there, there seems less need to mash "high" as there should already be plenty of un-fermentables in the grist. Only one way to find out....

Hobgoblin is a great drop if you can get a bottle of it in good nick.
What's the planned OG, FG and IBUs?

Like GMK I underlet
According to Beersmith, OG 1055, FG 1016.
IBU is rather more difficult - depends on how you view FWH. Some say that it is equivalent to 20 min boil (eg John Palmer) although I don't believe that this is universal thought. Beersmith allows you to set any boil time you like. If I input 20min for FWH then IBU is 22 - seems a bit low. But then there should be heaps of hop flavour and aroma from FWH and late addition, so perhaps this is OK.

Dr Smurto, had a look at this recipe last night - I'm sure its a beautiful drop, and it seems to be a "super" hobgoblin. According to Beersmith, ABV = 5.8% (hobgoblin in the bottle is 5.2%), and EBC comes out 44 which I think is a bit dark. IBU 36 is also a fair bit higher than Orfy's IBU 26.

I think I'll stick with Orfy's for the moment, but this would be an excellent winter warmer so will brew this recipe early next year so its coming into condition for the cold weather - but then, with Global Warming, Melbourne is now the hottest and dryest capital city in Australia so maybe I should learn to make lager instead.

Since both you and Raging Balls use 1187, then this is what I'll use. I've got a starter going now, ready for Saturday brew day.

Thanks, Hazard

Dr Smurto, had a look at this recipe last night - I'm sure its a beautiful drop, and it seems to be a "super" hobgoblin. According to Beersmith, ABV = 5.8% (hobgoblin in the bottle is 5.2%), and EBC comes out 44 which I think is a bit dark. IBU 36 is also a fair bit higher than Orfy's IBU 26.

I think I'll stick with Orfy's for the moment, but this would be an excellent winter warmer so will brew this recipe early next year so its coming into condition for the cold weather - but then, with Global Warming, Melbourne is now the hottest and dryest capital city in Australia so maybe I should learn to make lager instead.

Since both you and Raging Balls use 1187, then this is what I'll use. I've got a starter going now, ready for Saturday brew day.

Thanks, Hazard

Orfys recipe is more of a drink now. Not sure about 26 IBU though, that seems very low. I'd up that to a minimum 30.

Mine, as you rightly point out, is a winter warmer and the 36 IBu will taper off with time. Not that this survived, the entire keg was drained at last years winter case swap!

Just dont tell the poms on that site you are using Wyeast Ringwood :rolleyes:

Orfys recipe is more of a drink now. Not sure about 26 IBU though, that seems very low. I'd up that to a minimum 30.

Mine, as you rightly point out, is a winter warmer and the 36 IBu will taper off with time. Not that this survived, the entire keg was drained at last years winter case swap!

Just dont tell the poms on that site you are using Wyeast Ringwood :rolleyes:
I'd agree, up the IBU. (but wait...butters, you don't like bitter beers! - wrong, I don't like unbalanced beers).

26IBU in a 1055OG hot mash fermented with notto....you're looking at, what, ~1014/1016 finish, give or take? 0.47BUGU, 0.9 - 0.92BV....very sessionable, good for young drinking. But I'm fairly sure hobgoblin is, whilst not bitter, is more bitter than that....30, or even 32 IBU seems to make more sense to me as far as bu:gu, and bv are concerned.

Orfys OG seems right, given the abv, I just think he's a bit short on his bitterness.

2c, obviously.

oh, re mash temp: particularly given the yeast choice, I'd say def best not to go too warm, or it'll finish too high. I'd look at probably 66, 67 max.

Thanks, Hazard

I've only ever had one hobgoblin so I don't feel qualified to comment on the recipe.

I add water then grain for two reasons.

1. I let the esky tun settle into temp (preheat with a litre or so of boiling)

2. (probably most important) - If the tap is open I will know straight away and lose maybe one litre of hot water. No skin.

I've brewed a couple of attempts at a Hobgoblin inspired ale.

To my taste, the addition of black and similar malts just makes it too roasty, which is not what I recall from actual Hobgoblin, although the chocolate addition is authentic. Still, whatever floats your boat, so go for it.

I think Orfy's malt bill will be pretty much on the money. I'm not convinced Notts is the correct yeast, I'd rather something like WY1469, WY1968, Wy1187 etc.

I've brewed a couple of attempts at a Hobgoblin inspired ale.

To my taste, the addition of black and similar malts just makes it too roasty, which is not what I recall from actual Hobgoblin, although the chocolate addition is authentic. Still, whatever floats your boat, so go for it.

I think Orfy's malt bill will be pretty much on the money. I'm not convinced Notts is the correct yeast, I'd rather something like WY1469, WY1968, Wy1187 etc.
Well I cooked up a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin on Saturday. Was a bugger of a day - got called out to pick up the wife half way during the boil, then after cooling, I had to drive my son to the shopping centre before I could pitch the yeast. In all, about 9 hours elapsed by the time I got the lid on the fermenter. But all's good in the end, I got 23.5L at OG1060, and pitched with 1187 slurry I had from my last brew. By Sunday morning I had a lovely thick head of krausen and gave it a sound thrashing as recommended by Bribie. Sundaly night I scopped up a jar full of yeast top use next time around (and thrashed again). Its still cool overnight in Melb,, so I've got it on the headpad with the Tempmaster set to 18 deg.
Looking forward to this brew!

They get a bee in their bonnet about the fact that its not TRUE ringwood yeast.(ie from the ringwood brewery).... and then 3/4 of them use S-04 anyway. <_<

Well I cooked up a batch of Orfy's Hobgoblin on Saturday. Was a bugger of a day - got called out to pick up the wife half way during the boil, then after cooling, I had to drive my son to the shopping centre before I could pitch the yeast. In all, about 9 hours elapsed by the time I got the lid on the fermenter. But all's good in the end, I got 23.5L at OG1060, and pitched with 1187 slurry I had from my last brew. By Sunday morning I had a lovely thick head of krausen and gave it a sound thrashing as recommended by Bribie. Sundaly night I scopped up a jar full of yeast top use next time around (and thrashed again). Its still cool overnight in Melb,, so I've got it on the headpad with the Tempmaster set to 18 deg.
Looking forward to this brew!

Sounds good mate. I MUST pull my finger out and brew another asap! I even have some 'ringwood' slurry in the fridge waiting for a date with a wort.

Latest posts

Back