Orfey's Hobgoblin Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a fantastic recipe, haven't brewed it in a while, but i got MO malt, and will have a 1187 yeast cake after this mild ale i'm brewing - have to brew this one again. Man, i am chewing through this MO malt and styrian goldings...

haz, just be aware that when top cropping, that the yeast you collected will want to work it's way through the small amount of wort that would have been scooped up with it, even at cold fridge temps. Lots of healthy yeast and a little tiny bit of wort will work it's nuts off, even in the fridge. So make sure that you either vent it, or cap it in such a way to allow it to vent, untill it calms down. Otherwise you'll open it for your next brew, and it'll gush out. ;)

Just bottled 23L of this fine beer. The dregs in the bottling bucket tasted great - plenty of caramel-malt flavour, but still an appreciable hop presence. Malt and hops were quite separate tastes, but 2 months in the bottle and i expect that flavours will be well integrated. I followed orfy recipe and got 85% efficiency, so OG was 1060. I used Ringwood yeast (Wyeast 1187) and finished OG 1014. So finished above target ABV but thats not really a problem.
Will provide some tasting notes later on....
hazard

Its 7am and you got me wanting a beer before I go to work..... Shame on you :icon_drool2:

I brewed this back in June this year. Initially I was disappointed with the overly overt roast character from the (I think) black malt, but after almost 4 months in the bottle, it is starting to mellow, and drinking very nicely.

I'd like to experiment with the same recipe, without the black malt, and using WY1469 ( I have some starter splits left), rather than WY1968.

Anyhoo, this is what I'm currently drinking. I put a couple of longnecks away in my wine cellar to see how they age over say 12 months or so.

23 litre batch.
5000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.91 %
250.00 gm Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (170.0 EBC) Grain 4.60 %
100.00 gm Crystal Dark (260.0 EBC) Grain 1.84 %
40.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 0.74 %
30.00 gm Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 0.55 %
20.00 gm Black Malt (Bairds) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 0.37 %
20.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)Hops -
30.00 gm First Gold '06 [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (20 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
28.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (20 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
23.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops
Starter WY1968

Just bottled 23L of this fine beer. The dregs in the bottling bucket tasted great - plenty of caramel-malt flavour, but still an appreciable hop presence. Malt and hops were quite separate tastes, but 2 months in the bottle and i expect that flavours will be well integrated. I followed orfy recipe and got 85% efficiency, so OG was 1060. I used Ringwood yeast (Wyeast 1187) and finished OG 1014. So finished above target ABV but thats not really a problem.
Will provide some tasting notes later on....
hazard

After 3 weeks in the bottle, I tried my first Orfy Hobgoblin Clone last night. I was not disappointed! Tastes very close to the real thing, the colour looked good, and the head lasted all the way to the bottom glasss (though this wasn't long). More hops than I would have thought, but not unbalanced. I'll have a few more over the weekend, but really I should let them age a bit longer ...

I'm currently buidling a starter of WY1469, in readines for brew day next Monday.

This is the plan, it's also an opportunity to use up some bobs and bits:

23 litres

3300.00 gm Maris Otter (6.0 EBC) Grain 60.55 %
1500.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 27.52 %
250.00 gm Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2Grain 4.59 %
250.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 4.59 %
100.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.83 %
50.00 gm Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
35.00 gm EKGoldings [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 18.6 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
28.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #WY1469) Starter

Single infusion mash 68C for 90 minutes.

Orfy's Hobgoblin - 23L
4.8kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
0.15kg Chocolate
Mash at 69 deg for 90 min

15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles FWH
15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 30 min
15 g Styrian, 15g Fuggles 0 min

although i've only tried a couple of bottles i love this beer and will definitely give this a go, would 1968 be OK for this ?

any other tested variations of this recipe would be gladly received also :icon_cheers:

cheers

Dave

although i've only tried a couple of bottles i love this beer and will definitely give this a go, would 1968 be OK for this ?

any other tested variations of this recipe would be gladly received also :icon_cheers:

cheers

Dave

Dave,
I havn't tried this recipe but would suggest to give it a good diacetyl rest if your mashing at 69 and using 1968. I do love 1968 but can be a diacetyl bitch.

Brad

Dave,
I havn't tried this recipe but would suggest to give it a good diacetyl rest if your mashing at 69 and using 1968. I do love 1968 but can be a diacetyl bitch.

Brad

Brad,
I meant to snip the 69*C, will most likely mash @ 67/68, thanks for the diacetyl tip, I've only used it once in an Irish Red

Cheers
Dave

I'm currently buidling a starter of WY1469, in readines for brew day next Monday.

This is the plan, it's also an opportunity to use up some bobs and bits:

23 litres

3300.00 gm Maris Otter (6.0 EBC) Grain 60.55 %
1500.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 27.52 %
250.00 gm Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2Grain 4.59 %
250.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 4.59 %
100.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.83 %
50.00 gm Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
35.00 gm EKGoldings [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 18.6 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
28.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #WY1469) Starter

Single infusion mash 68C for 90 minutes.

Just brought a bottle of this back from UK and tried it. My powers of analysis aren't very sophisticated, but there is a really dark taste to this beer that in my mind suggests black malt, but i've noticed it isn't in all the recipes, and warra, you've left it out of this attempt after previously using it. Is the chocolate malt sufficient to give the hobgoblin's dark edge?

[Just spent 10 days in the UK - heaven on a hand pump. Interesting that the highlights for me were mostly beers with big reputations - Marston's pedigree, HSB (the Bear in Oxford), Old Speckled Hen (at the turf tavern in oxford) being the best three.]

Just brought a bottle of this back from UK and tried it. My powers of analysis aren't very sophisticated, but there is a really dark taste to this beer that in my mind suggests black malt, but i've noticed it isn't in all the recipes, and warra, you've left it out of this attempt after previously using it. Is the chocolate malt sufficient to give the hobgoblin's dark edge?

[Just spent 10 days in the UK - heaven on a hand pump. Interesting that the highlights for me were mostly beers with big reputations - Marston's pedigree, HSB (the Bear in Oxford), Old Speckled Hen (at the turf tavern in oxford) being the best three.]

I guess it depends on your own taste. I seem to be particularly sensitive to much in the way of obvious roast character, and I don't particularly like it.
That's why I left it out of subsequent brews. Even after maturing a bottle of the first batch for over 12 months it was still too much for my taste.
Obviously, it doesn't bother other people., and it may not bother you.
I'm personally inclined to think the dark character in Hobgoblin comes from chocolate malt, rather than black malt.
Others may have more detailed knowledge than me as to the probable make up of Hobgoblin.

>.<

You are all deadset legends. I had one of these, and could not for the life of me remember the name until I saw this thread. No question now about what my first AG is going to be. For those that haven't tried it yet, do so, it's amazing! Surprised it's so simple. Wicked!

EDIT: What did people find re the bitterness? Needs more @60 minutes? Move the schedule back 10 minutes? I don't remember it being overly hoppy on the nose. Well balanced. Malty. Toffeeish. Delicious. But not fruity or flowery.

EDIT2: If this can be believed then warra is right and it's just the three malts:
http://www.wychwood.co.uk/hobgoblin/beers?...fbpage=1#noload

>.<

You are all deadset legends. I had one of these, and could not for the life of me remember the name until I saw this thread. No question now about what my first AG is going to be. For those that haven't tried it yet, do so, it's amazing! Surprised it's so simple. Wicked!

EDIT: What did people find re the bitterness? Needs more @60 minutes? Move the schedule back 10 minutes? I don't remember it being overly hoppy on the nose. Well balanced. Malty. Toffeeish. Delicious. But not fruity or flowery.

EDIT2: If this can be believed then warra is right and it's just the three malts:
http://www.wychwood.co.uk/hobgoblin/beers?...fbpage=1#noload

Oh Tanga you're such a brew-tart, I thought Kieren's Porter was gunna take your AG cherry? :p
MO pale and Heritage Crystal sound good to me. It's from MO too, could be good?

Oh Tanga you're such a brew-tart, I thought Kieren's Porter was gunna take your AG cherry? :p
MO pale and Heritage Crystal sound good to me. It's from MO too, could be good?

If it's anything like the original it will be. For a beer like this I'd dress up and style my hair. :wub:

So I've been looking at doing this recipe. The Carapils is actually 0.20 kg in the original recipe, not 0.25.

Has anyone no-chilled this? Got recommendations for doing so? I was thinking of doing the method I read about on here (can't find it now) where I only add the bittering hops, let the temp come down, then do a 4 L mini-boil and add the aroma and flavouring hops to that, then add it to the fermenter with the cooled wort. Yay / Nay? How say you?

Bump for those who didn't wake in the night.

Buying the ingredients from Nige now. Dark chocolate I presume? Heritage crystal?

So I've been looking at doing this recipe. The Carapils is actually 0.20 kg in the original recipe, not 0.25.

Has anyone no-chilled this? Got recommendations for doing so? I was thinking of doing the method I read about on here (can't find it now) where I only add the bittering hops, let the temp come down, then do a 4 L mini-boil and add the aroma and flavouring hops to that, then add it to the fermenter with the cooled wort. Yay / Nay? How say you?

Known as the the 'Argon Method' - it is a very good method to secure the late additions goodness. Put entire cube worth of wort into the ferementer and into a fridge set at 4oC. Leave 24 hrs to cool to 4oC. Next take out 4 litres and boil it, once boiling add you 20 min additions, 10, 5 or whatever late additions you want. I found it handy to put a seive over the ferementer and chuck the boiling wort onto the 4oC wort. Stir and the whole lot equals out at about 18oC. Pitch healthy yeast. Set fridge to brewing temp. This is a great method if you have a fridge and temp controller for the fermenter.

Don't forget to allow for potential extra bitterness from the no-chilling. You can scale down the bittering hops to compensate. Some folks reckon a firt wort hop adds a smoother bitterness. Maybe a smaller first wort hop and you'll cover the bases?

Buying the ingredients from Nige now. Dark chocolate I presume? Heritage crystal?

Yes Heritage is a crystal made from Marris Otter. I don't think Nige sells it but Craftbrewer do. Their mail order system takes about a week. If the manufacturer only uses three malts, well MO Ale malt and Heritage count as only one because they are both from Marris Otter...
I agree with Warra about not liking the roast flavour, maybe try some Carafa Special T2 Malt instead of choc or roast? Could give the colour and taste but not acrid like roast or chocolate can be. Having said that I had a real HobGoblin the other night and could taste some roastiness to it.

Back