Off Flavour During The First Few Beers From A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but after my kegs have been standing for a few weeks at room temp after fermentation, placed in the fridge, gassed and then tapped I find that the first 1 or 2 beers taste off. Now I know to expect a bit of trub the first few, but this is when the beer is clear!! (still the first few out of the keg tho). Or is it my taste buds getting used to the flavours.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I going gaga?

Diggles

Hey Diggles,

What does the off flavour taste like? Can you smell it too? or is that different to the taste?

I find the the first few are always a little different, would not say off, but I expect that, since the first few are picking up a heap of sediment. I cracked a Keg tonight, the first was different, but by the 3rd it was fine. This is normal for me, and on some occasions I have had some that are shit, and have left for a week or two and are then great. Also the other thing if your anything like me, I normally give the first few a lot of attention to "see how it turned out", so you notice it more.

Maybe some stale crap in the beer lines?

Fear

Hey Diggles,

What does the off flavour taste like? Can you smell it too? or is that different to the taste?

I find the the first few are always a little different, would not say off, but I expect that, since the first few are picking up a heap of sediment. I cracked a Keg tonight, the first was different, but by the 3rd it was fine. This is normal for me, and on some occasions I have had some that are shit, and have left for a week or two and are then great. Also the other thing if your anything like me, I normally give the first few a lot of attention to "see how it turned out", so you notice it more.

Maybe some stale crap in the beer lines?

Fear

I thought the off flavour was Diacetel, but then seems to disappear after the first few beers. I think you're right in the fact that one concentrates on the first few more than the others. I'll have to remember to purge a few before critiquing next time!

Diggles

May also be something from the tap/lines washing out, affecting the flavour. Maybe the first beer anyway

Back