NSW 2016 xmas case swap - tasting and recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
I'll get it going as there isn't yet a thread and I'm getting stuck into #12.

1480212397317.jpg

Fungrel's American Lawnmower

Crystal clear, medium straw colour, head stuck around for a short while, well carbonated.

Not a strong hop aroma but definitely one there. Slight citrus aroma.

Crisp, refreshing, moderate bitterness, dry, no residual sweetness that I can pick up, slight malt flavours.

My move back to my old place has continued to be the bane of my life, and after taking an afternoon break from dragging boxes and furniture upstairs, this is a perfect warm afternoon cool down beer.

Good work Fungrel! A well made beer.

Cracked #5, citrus lager. This beer is stellar, didn't get citrus at all in flavour or aroma until about 2/3 through then all of a sudden the grapefruit zest exploded, maybe it needed to warm up for those flavours to come through? Even before then this beer was nice and spritsy and had a pilsner vibe to it. It went down so good in this heat.

Always useful to have this on the tasting notes thread so I don't have to keeping looking at two threads

1.barls - cherry wit, rtd 15/12

2. Mikeyr

3. Fraser's BRB - ESB, force carbed so ready to drink

4. mattfos01 - Kolsch, give it another week, ready by 10 December.

5. Reman - Citrus Lager - rtd. (Off the keg so no dregs)

6.Contrarian - Brett saison ~5% rtd but will only get funkier with age

7. Nickr

8. Marksy

9. Welly2 - robust porter. Give it a couple of months

10. Paulyman - Gose (rtd)

11. FGZ - (orange lid 6/11 on it) Dark Bitter, drinkable now but wait a few weeks if you can.

12. Fungrel - American Lawnmower (Wheat) - Drink Soon

13. -skb RIS 12.5% it can be drunk now but should last a very long time in the bottle

15. Beamer - Pale ale best after 18/12/16

16. n87 - Saison WLP566. Keg is drinking beautiful, bottles need a little time to meld I think.

17. drclaybro. RIS 'czar's red' details on post #136[/quote]

Disclaimer, rookie palate.

12 Fungrel's American Lawnmower

After a crappy day at work, I broke my usual rule and cracked a beer on a school night. I regret nothing.

First up, this beer is a cracker. Perfect drinking for a hot afternoon and would work really well after mowing the lawn. Brilliant clarity and good colour. Well carbonated, if a little on the high side? Good aroma, struggled to put my finger on it, but I'm going with floral on the nose. Flavour of white stone fruit, well balanced with a slight sweetness on the end as the beer warmed up.

One note, you mentioned wheat in the beer description. Again, bit of a rookie, but I wouldn't mention the wheat as I had a very different expectation of the beer before pouring based on that descriptor. Wheat leads me to thoughts of cloudy beers which this definitely wasn't. Not a problem, just a difference between expectation and reality.

In all a fantastic summer beer, well done. Recipe? Particularly interested in the hops as I don't believe I've used them before.

American lawnmower.jpg

Funny you mention wheat.. It's style 16.1 American Wheat Beer (AABC) which is in no way related to European styles. Haven't found an Aussie beer that fits that style, or if i have it's called something like a Pacific Ale.

Mouteka is the hop you can't put your finger on. I'll dig out the recipe when i get time.

Must have been a really bad day, 2 beers on a school night.

5 Reman's Citrus Lager

Once again, disclaimer, rookie palate.

Poured well, good level of carbonation. Appearance, good colour, slightly hazy initially but cleared up nicely (haze possibly from citrus addition).

Like Paulyman earlier, didn't get a lot of citrus upfront when the beer was poured. Did get a slightly "pucker up" tartness initially that I associate with sucking on a lemon, however this was short lived and not necessarily a negative on a hot day. As the beer warmed up, the grapefruit really came to the fore and made for a really nice beer. Citrus flavours were well balanced by a good malt backbone without being inappropriate for the style.

In all, another great beer on a hot day, well done.

citrus lager.JPG

fungrel said:
Funny you mention wheat.. It's style 16.1 American Wheat Beer (AABC) which is in no way related to European styles. Haven't found an Aussie beer that fits that style, or if i have it's called something like a Pacific Ale.

Mouteka is the hop you can't put your finger on. I'll dig out the recipe when i get time.
Yeah and that's just my inexperience with the style, I'm used to Gernan wheat beers. Pacific Ale as a descriptor would fit for mine, but again, far from an expert.

I am yet to use motueka, although it's also in the citrus lager I had after yours and it came through very differently in yours (at least to me).

Had number 12, it did say drink soon...

This was another great beer, simple and a real quaffer on another hot day. Quite floral.

Number 5 and 12 would be great as a side by side. Same hop and similar grain bills I'm guessing. Really shows off the differences between a lager yeast and an ale yeast.

Two for two.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The citrus was much stronger early on and much like an IPA it's faded during the Lager. Might have benefited from dry hopping/zesting again before bottling...next time.

Fun fact, this was pitched with a passatta jar of yeast cake at 3c, rose to 22c(!) over the next 24 hours and stayed there til cold crash about 5 days later.

Being a school night, I had the usual 3 beers. :blink:

Fraser's ESB - nice brew. Went down very well. Thanks

Reman's Citrus Lager. Repeat others comments .. easy drinking beer. Very nice. 4 other people at the table tried it (a bit too much .. bastards) Good one. Thanks

Fungrel's Lawn mower. same four freeloaders demanded some. Was generous (finished up with two bottles .. no sharing next time). Good stuff!

Love case swaps!

#10 Gose from Paulyman

Was a bit worried by this one, the only other gose I have had was... not to my taste...

Cracked it open with the inlaws last night.

Poured a hazy light golden with ample tight head
Sweet malty goodness on the nose
Light malty taste, with a hint of salt on the back end if you look for it - Didnt get the sourness, either that or it was perfectly blended.

Overall, enjoyed this much more than I was expecting. I wouldn't be actively looking for this beer, but I wouldn't hesitate to crack it open if it was there.
Thanks.

I have drunk both my bottles of #12, and agree with the above. I did enjoy it quite alot, works well after a long day.

n87 said:
#10 Gose from Paulyman

Was a bit worried by this one, the only other gose I have had was... not to my taste...

Cracked it open with the inlaws last night.
Haha, I like the part where you weren't sure how this one would go so you cracked it with the inlaws :)

Beer 3 ESB cracked it tonight was my 4th beer so probably not in my. Eat form. After I cracked it realised was not as well chilled as I had wanted my stuff up, left the bottle out a little too long. I am no expert but was easy drinking but had a caramel taste wondering if crystal or the malt. In terms of smell I rally struggled due to having a bit of hayfever so could not smell anything.

fungrel said:
Can't work out who this one belongs to.. Any ideas?
11. FGZ - (orange lid 6/11 on it) Dark Bitter, drinkable now but wait a few weeks if you can.

Cracked number 12 free m fungrel as I did now th lawn today so it seemed appropriate!

Perfect beer for a hot arvo, light, slightly tart and very refreshing.

Cheers!

Beer 5 - citrus. I had a very busy day in the yard building a retaining wall (badly I am sure). So got home cracked number 5. I really loved this beer, refreshing and clean, not much citrus but just enough to add the crisp flavour.

My favourite so far and perfect after a hard day

10 Paulyman's Gose

Extra disclaimer, this is only my second gose and I was not a fan of the first (a commercial offering) because of too much salt.

Did a double brew day today in 38 degree heat. Then cracked this gose. I honestly don't know how to describe it, but I'll give it a go.

Poured well with good carbonation, great golden colour, slightly hazy but clear enough. Aroma was pleasant and immediately present, but I can't put my finger on what I was smelling (maybe some apple?). Flavour, drinks slightly sweet on the front and mid palate with almost a champagne dryness on the end and that's when I get the hint of salt.

The stand out for me on this beer is balance. It's just really well balanced with nothing being obviously out of place. The salt is definitely there, but not in a way that is a problem, in fact it probably enhances the finish if anything. Great beer on a hot afternoon, enjoyed it, well done.

Gose.jpg

Number 2 ESB.

Very clear, carb is low and to style. There's a nice assertive bitterness that balances the malt well. Hop flavour and aroma are low but present. Can't pick them out with my rubbish nose!

Nice beer, cheers!

#3 Fraser's BRB ESB

No reason behind drinking it other than I wanted a beer ;)

Pours a lovely dark golden with medium tight, slightly off white head that fades slowly.

Coffee up front and center aroma with toffee and cream bringing up the rear.

Coffee dominates the taste as well, with I think a touch of burnt sugar.

Relatively low carb, which I think is to style, with a creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, all that comes to mind is liquid tiramisu.
Great beer, maybe not the best for trying to quench a thirst on a hot day

IMAG0274_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back