No Chiller Method Disasters and Successes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have gone back to middle ages, where they realised that chilling was essential to make good beer :D

I happen to know that one of the place getters in the recent Anawbs was a no-chill beer.

Well, back on topic, I'm at 100% (touch wood) with no infections in over 20 NC batches. Certainly not claiming that there aren't issues, but for me, it's cheap, effective, and most importantly, quick. As long as everything is clean, I can so no issues as far as safety etc when using the appropriate (ie: food grade) containers...

All person opinon of course, but I am, along with many others, happy with this method. And as Zizzle states, it has been used to make award winning beers! Here's hoping many more are brewed in the future using NC!

Cheers

So I believe another dimension should be added, who believes their brews should be circumcised, should we only circumcise no chill?

Perform the Bris Milah with a cube spanner perhaps? :lol:

Warren -

This is just 2 cents worth.

"Treat a mans opinion like you would treat his dog, if you like it, tell him so but he shouldnt expect you to take it home."

"We often dont have a choice in what happens to us, we do have a choice on how we act, choose carefully, dont just react."

oops thats 4 cents worth :D

Cheers Steve

I just don't understand all you White No Chill Cubers. Can't you see where you're going wrong?

If only you got yourselves some Blue No Chill Cubes, all your problems would go away and people would respect you. :ph34r: :unsure: :huh:

I've had them hanging around as long as six weeks before pitching. The result? Some of the best beers I've ever brewed, IMHO. Not suggesting the wait had anything to do with the good outcome, but I don't think it caused any problems.
Not trying to start a war here, but I wonder if anyone has done a side by side, ie, chilled half and NC the other half. As I have made some great beers NC method, but maybe if I did not NC them they would of been exceptional beers? Who knows?

Steve

I think there were a couple of people who did the comparison early on in the no chiller thread - from memory they didn't note any significant difference

Cheers

Not trying to start a war here, but I wonder if anyone has done a side by side, ie, chilled half and NC the other half. As I have made some great beers NC method, but maybe if I did not NC them they would of been exceptional beers? Who knows?

Steve

fwiw, here's the voice of considerable experience (and the author of several highly regarded books on homebrewing, including this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-British-...e/dp/1852491388 ).

"Graham Wheeler" said:
"iowalad" said:
I think Graham in his book Brew Your Own British Ale suggests that leaving the wort overnight to coolas an option. He points out that crash cooling gives better cold break.

I left it overnight once. I can't say I noted anything wrong with my beer. It was one of my early brewing attempts (extract).

I've done it many times; I don't think it really hurts the beer. I used to put the hot wort into a clean and disinfected brewing bucket, fit the lid and either cover the airlock hole with a bit of sticking plaster or fit an airlock. The airlock must be one that works in both directions though, because air is drawn in as the wort cools - some airlocks don't work backwards. I used to use those glass dual-bubbler things, but they don't seem to be available these days. There are some horrible-looking plastic things which should do the same job.

It is no different to what old-style commercial breweries used to do, with their coolships in the attic and external 'refrigerators'. Until the last few years, Excise regulations meant that the cooled wort could be hanging around in an open fermentor for twelve hours waiting for the Excise man to turn up before the yeast could be pitched.

(iirc the Hook Norton Brewery still use coolships to coole their wort to pitching temperature, an example of which is in a the picture I posted above, I presume they are no longer lead lined :D ).

Last edited by a moderator:
(iirc the Hook Norton Brewery still use coolships to coole their wort to pitching temperature, an example of which is in a the picture I posted above, I presume they are no longer lead lined :D ).

Doubltessly they replaced the lead with botulism spores.

fwiw, here's the voice of considerable experience (and the author of several highly regarded books on homebrewing, including this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-British-...e/dp/1852491388 ).
I've done it many times; I don't think it really hurts the beer. I used to put the hot wort into a clean and disinfected brewing bucket, fit the lid and either cover the airlock hole with a bit of sticking plaster or fit an airlock. The airlock must be one that works in both directions though, because air is drawn in as the wort cools - some airlocks don't work backwards. I used to use those glass dual-bubbler things, but they don't seem to be available these days. There are some horrible-looking plastic things which should do the same job.

It is no different to what old-style commercial breweries used to do, with their coolships in the attic and external 'refrigerators'. Until the last few years, Excise regulations meant that the cooled wort could be hanging around in an open fermentor for twelve hours waiting for the Excise man to turn up before the yeast could be pitched.

Must be an old book when i went around the Hook Norton Brewery two years ago they had a nice new Heat exchanger and the coolship no longer used was copper .

Pumpy :)

DSC03589.JPG

DSC03587.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubltessly they replaced the lead with botulism spores.

Hey PostModerator,

Perhaps the lead killed any spores ;)

Neither lead, heated plastic, or unintentional microbes are desirable in beer :angry:

cheers

Darren

Must be an old book when i went around the Hook Norton Brewery two years ago they had a nice new Heat exchanger and the coolship no longer used was copper .

Pumpy :)

Hey Pumpy,

You mean these guys did it twice? Made a steamship out of copper then went the ultra-efficient counterflow heat-exchanger!! :eek:

If it is only water efficiency we are after then the only solution is to brew bigger batches :D

cheers

Darren

Hey Pumpy,

You mean these guys did it twice? Made a steamship out of copper then went the ultra-efficient counterflow heat-exchanger!! :eek:
If it is only water efficiency we are after then the only solution is to brew bigger batches :D

cheers

Darren

Darren ,When It comes to preaching " No Chill" you will always remain unconverted .

the only analogy I can draw from this Darren (in the nicest possisble way)

is that you are a "Water Wasting Wort Chilling Heathen"

Pumpy ;)

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I mentioned the Hook Norton coolships as an aside, they aren't referenced in BYORA (not that i'm aware of anyway). The coolships were shown on the Hook Norton website up until fairly recently, it's a shame they have gone but it goes to show that airborne contamination isn't always such a huge issue, particularly if you are pitching loads of active yeast. I often read accounts by US homebrewers who are happy to only pitch they yeast that comes in the smack pack or vial and suggesting that they are happy to wait 72 hrs before worrying abut re-pitching where as I tend to start to consider my options at around 6hrs. I wonder if these people are the same people who insist that wort must be chilled? Admittedly warm wort is more susceptible to bacterial infection but coolships were used by commercial breweries up until fairly recently and there are people out there who regularly use the no chill method as the norm. Some of them might not recognise an infection if it came up and bit them in the nuts but when you have people with considerable experience such as Graham Wheeler happy to allow the wort to cool naturally it certainly adds a lot of weight to the argument that the no chill method whether it be in the boiler or fermenter isn't all bad.
Personally, as I mention in the quote by SJW, I like to chill the wort so I can get the yeast pitched and everything done and dusted as soon as possible, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it if I had to leave it over night before pitching though.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I mentioned the Hook Norton coolships as an aside, they aren't referenced in BYORA (not that i'm aware of anyway). The coolships were shown on the Hook Norton website up until fairly recently, it's a shame they have gone but it goes to show that airborne contamination isn't always such a huge issue, particularly if you are pitching loads of active yeast. I often read accounts by US homebrewers who are happy to only pitch they yeast that comes in the smack pack or vial and suggesting that they are happy to wait 72 hrs before worrying abut re-pitching where as I tend to start to consider my options at around 6hrs. I wonder if these people are the same people who insist that wort must be chilled? Admittedly warm wort is more susceptible to bacterial infection but coolships were used by commercial breweries up until fairly recently and there are people out there who regularly use the no chill method as the norm. Some of them might not recognise an infection if it can and bit them in the nuts but when you have people with considerable experience such as Graham Wheeler happy to allow the wort to cool naturally it certainly adds a lot of weight to the argument that the no chill method whether it be in the boiler or fermenter isn't all bad.
Personally, as I mention in the quote by SJW, I like to chill the wort so I can get the yeast pitched and everything done and dusted as soon as possible, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it if I had to leave it over night before pitching though.

Point Taken Daab

Pumpy ;)

Darren ,When It comes to preaching " No Chill" you will always remain unconverted .

the only analogy I can draw from this Darren (in the nicest possisble way)

is that you are a "Water Wasting Wort Chilling Heathen"

Pumpy ;)

I've seen the water drums at Darren's myself. He ain't wasting nothing buddy..... :p

I recon No chilling is fine....... im not foing to read all of the argument or comment on any of it.

I made a beer and put it in a cube. It sat in the cube for 2 months before firmenting.

It was a 7% English Old Ale

Its been in the bottle for somewhere between 1.5 and 2 years and is fantastic.

No botulism, satanisn or nazism spores to be seen.

cheers

I've seen the water drums at Darren's myself. He ain't wasting nothing buddy..... :p

Ok domonsura just make it 'Time waster '

These Anti No Chill posts are being proliferated for some reasons unkown to me other than being anti something .

It is a proven method used commercially to great success in Fresh wort kits

Pumpy :D

Latest posts

Back