No Chiller Method Disasters and Successes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren ,When It comes to preaching " No Chill" you will always remain unconverted .

the only analogy I can draw from this Darren (in the nicest possisble way)

is that you are a "Water Wasting Wort Chilling Heathen"

Pumpy ;)

Hey Pumpy,

Lets see your water bill mate :eek:

Happy to compare mine as a no-chiller (Yes counterflow).

If you are not on mains water an estimate of usage will do!!

cheers

Darren

PS: Anyone else want to compare water bills if No-chill is such a winner??

EDIT: Ooops, who just flushed that toilet?

Hey Pumpy,

cheers

Darren

Well Dazza me old mate, I was contemplating kicking off a new thread about personal water consumption as determined by your last water bill, reason being, a footnote on my bill said I was an above average user.
May do it tomorow when I'm sober.

Point Taken Daab

Pumpy ;)

Daab, Pumpy,

Good points but we must keep it in perspective though. Coolships were used prior to the availability of pressurised mains water :huh: .

Since that time 99.9% of breweries have changed to counterflow cooling. Those that didn't have not survived ;)

The common theme?? Cooling.

Rapid cooling, dates back to the early 1800's when they realised you were less likely to get sick with a chilled wort but also produced a more palatable beer everytime that everyone enjoyed.

Why worry about 100 or so litres of water to chill your average batch of beer (4 hours)? A single toilet flush uses at least 7 litres of water.

Pumpy, maybe that is how lowly you rate your beer??

cheers

Just looked at the results of the NSW state champs and the said No chill Old Ale won me Grand Champion beer B)

I took these pics when i poured a glass a month or so ago to test its head retention properties.

20 min later and the main head had colapsed into a cats bum looking pooper hole that was quite amusing. Its was solid enough to lift out and sit on the sink.

looks like No chill is Ok then.

I have just set up a second 50 liuter kettle. When i brew 50 liters of "pour dowm your throat" beer for the keg im going to make something experimental or out there in an esky and boil them both at the same time :)

Cant afford $120 for another copper coil so i will make 25 liter batches and no chill em.

cheers

English_Old_Ale_1__832_x_1248_.jpg

English_Old_Ale_2__832_x_1248_.jpg

Daab, Pumpy,

Good points but we must keep it in perspective though. Coolships were used prior to the availability of pressurised mains water :huh: .

Since that time 99.9% of breweries have changed to counterflow cooling. Those that didn't have not survived ;)

The common theme?? Cooling.

Rapid cooling, dates back to the early 1800's when they realised you were less likely to get sick with a chilled wort but also produced a more palatable beer everytime that everyone enjoyed.

Why worry about 100 or so litres of water to chill your average batch of beer (4 hours)? A single toilet flush uses at least 7 litres of water.

Pumpy, maybe that is how lowly you rate your beer??

cheers

.....do'nt the commercial boys use big scary plate chillers?

You sure there not mutated botulism spores growing in the middle of your beer Tony. ;) :D

Cheers
Big D

Hey Pumpy,

cheers

Darren

Darren , There is no stopping you on your Crusade of the Templars , thrashing with your sword to eliminate the Elucidated bretheren of the No Chillers

Pumpy ;)

Just looked at the results of the NSW state champs and the said No chill Old Ale won me Grand Champion beer B)

Good work Tony, :super:

have you posted the recipe anywhere?

cheers Ross

I took these pics when i poured a glass a month or so ago to test its head retention properties.

20 min later and the main head had colapsed into a cats bum looking pooper hole that was quite amusing. Its was solid enough to lift out and sit on the sink.

I have just set up a second 50 liuter kettle. When i brew 50 liters of "pour dowm your throat" beer for the keg im going to make something experimental or out there in an esky and boil them both at the same time :)

Cant afford $120 for another copper coil so i will make 25 liter batches and no chill em.

cheers

Hey Tony,

Well done, great to see someone making an award winning no-chill.

You must keep in mind I never said it couldn't be done, but simply that with a failure to supply sufficient new containers you cant keep it doing it.

Heat resisient bacteria will eventually dominate your re-used fermenters and everything will have a belgian flavour.

Pediococcus species build-up in the mashtun does cause tastable infection although it originated prior to boil, dispelling the myth that "turning" your cube will kill all.

Keep using the same old cube to no-chill and see what happens ;)

cheers

Darren

nope........ do you wnat it?

It tastes like shit for the first 12 months but gets better.

Will be good to see how it goes when i enter it next year :p

I will stick it in the recipe database when i get a chance.

It had a heap of caramalt in it which made it yukky at first but i was after caramel when it matured....... looks like caramalt is for more than aussie swill :)

brewed it with 1338 european ale ( i think thats the number)

cheers

Darren , There is no stopping you on your Crusade of the Templars , thrashing with your sword to eliminate the Elucidated bretheren of the No Chillers

Pumpy ;)

Yeah yeah Pumpy,

Just post your water consumption when you get it

cheers

Darren

Well done Tony.Hope you do post the recipe.
Unfortunately i think this thread and the other no chill thread are coming to a very abrupt ending soon.

Cheers
Big D

nope........ do you wnat it?

It tastes like shit for the first 12 months but gets better.

Will be good to see how it goes when i enter it next year :p

I will stick it in the recipe database when i get a chance.

It had a heap of caramalt in it which made it yukky at first but i was after caramel when it matured....... looks like caramalt is for more than aussie swill :)

brewed it with 1338 european ale ( i think thats the number)

cheers

What was the style Tony? IBU.?

Looks quite dark too

cheers

Darren

English Old ale.

Cant remember the specs

Will dig them up and post them somewhere else more apropriate.

cheers

Cool Tony,

This was a disaster thread which yours was obviously not.

Please make sure you post your recipe for old ale in this thread too!

cheers

Darren

cheers

Hey Tony congrats on the win. And a NC Botubeer to boot. The beer in the pic looks like it's a boy, do you think it would have boy germs Darren :lol:

Cool Tony,

This was a disaster thread which yours was obviously not.

Please make sure you post your recipe for old ale in this thread too!

cheers

Darren

Remember the method is sometimes as important as the recipe, daz.

Darren, it's come to me in a flash.
The answer to every no chillers dreams. I'll make a cube out of silver, pop a little silver cathode inside and connect it up to a car battery. The Silver ions interrupt DNA production preventing reproduction and accelerating the death phase of bacteria and viruses, so we could no chill our wort safely, without fear of any infections from Darren Bugs. Shit load of gas and lead waste but safe beer and no water wastage.

Eureka, I'll make a fortune, how about it Craftbrewer, MashMaster etc, would you stock my silver cubes, silver's cheap at present, maybe I could get them made in China, producing a shit load more waste. But they may retail for less than AU$1,000.00 Wadda ya think, am I onto something????

Copper ions work in a similar way destroying the algae and bacteria so maybe they were onto something using copper lined coolships. The use of copper may upset Darren and other copper nazis so will stick with the more expensive alternative. They'll sell - look how expensive stainless steel is and it can be found in abundance in every brewers kit.

We creative types suffer due to our gift, and wake in the early hours with ideas such as this whirling around in ones head. 4.30am so what, I'll sleep later. I'm so excited at the thought of this inovative concept that I just have post my idea and tell Darren.

Latest posts

Back