Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I used an immersion chiller for the for the first time on the weekend, have been using the no chill method up until now, just wondering about the trub (congealed proteins and that not) that precipitates out of solution and whether or not it's OK to go into the fermentor or not. When using the no chill method it usually settles out in my cube so it never went into the fermentor, where as with cooling the wort rapidly the particles are smaller and somewhat suspended in solution.

Cheers

Aaron

I usually leave a portion behind but the trub is proteins and hops. Hops never hurt anyone and proteins add to head retention. I have poured the lot in previously with no issue, now I get a portion in but leave some behind. I wouldn't worry too much.

If you want you can use whirlfoc/irish moss/koppafloc and/or whirlpool which helps concentrate the break material and hop trub so it's easier to avoid and leave behind.

yeah i use Irish moss and now that i have a brew fridge will be adding gelatin and all that jazz, any idea on how you get around the percipitating problem when using a plate chiller ? would it get clogged as I'm thinking of buying a mashmaster one sometime after christmas

Aaron

This article provides a pretty decent explaination...

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backi....2/barchet.html

If you use an immersion chiller in your kettle, add some whirlfloc 15min before flameout, then chill, then whirlpool and drain through your tap... most of the cold trub and hops should be left behind.

Personally, I only NC now and have fermented directly in the NC cube.. or racked into a fermentor (leaving cold trub behind). Both method produce similar results.

yeah i use Irish moss and now that i have a brew fridge will be adding gelatin and all that jazz, any idea on how you get around the percipitating problem when using a plate chiller ? would it get clogged as I'm thinking of buying a mashmaster one sometime after christmas

Aaron

Sorry can't help. I chill in a bath full of frozen PET bottles.

The effect of irish moss is separate to the effect of gelatin and cold conditioning though. Irish moss is a kettle fining that helps coagulate the proteins which in turn makes it easier to leave break material behind.

Gelatin/isinglass and cold conditioning help drop out the yeast. Both have an effect on the clarity of liquid but at different points and for different reasons.

Latest posts

Back