Next meeting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

Free Hops Give-Away !!!!

Manticle handed me 2 boxes of hops from Temple Brewing on Saturday, to distribute at the next MM Meeting.
The boxes were surplus hops that had been sitting there for several months, and Temple were keen to offload in a charitable fashion as they would no longer be within their Quality Control restrictions (obviously Temple only use the freshest hops!).

The 2 boxes are:
5kg Horizon
5kg Select (GR)

They are each in a single massive vac-sealed foil bag.
So we can either split hops into whatever and everyone can vac seal at home, etc; or if we can bring a few vac sealers, we can do it all at the meeting.
Obviously the latter would be preferred, esp for those without vac sealers.
I can bring a vac sealer, but i'm not sure how it'll handle divvying up 10kg of hops by itself in one hit, and i definitely don't have enough vac bags for the task. So it'd be good if maybe a few of us can bring their vac sealers to cover what's required.

So basically, there will be 10kg of free hops to be given away at the next Merri Mashers Meeting, on the 25th of March, at the Great Northern, 7pm onwards.

Obviously, a big thanks to Temple Brewing for such an extremely generous donation to the Homebrewing community.

EDIT: changed POR to Horizon. Doh! It pays to check the label

That's amazing! I'd happily take some free hops and i'd be quite happy to simply store in foil and a clippy bag rather than be using up someone's vac seal bags.

technobabble66 said:
Hey,

Free Hops Give-Away !!!!

Manticle handed me 2 boxes of hops from Temple Brewing on Saturday, to distribute at the next MM Meeting.
The boxes were surplus hops that had been sitting there for several months, and Temple were keen to offload in a charitable fashion as they would no longer be within their Quality Control restrictions (obviously Temple only use the freshest hops!).

The 2 boxes are:
5kg Pride of Ringwood
5kg Select (GR)

They are each in a single massive vac-sealed foil bag.
So we can either split hops into whatever and everyone can vac seal at home, etc; or if we can bring a few vac sealers, we can do it all at the meeting.
Obviously the latter would be preferred, esp for those without vac sealers.
I can bring a vac sealer, but i'm not sure how it'll handle divvying up 10kg of hops by itself in one hit, and i definitely don't have enough vac bags for the task. So it'd be good if maybe a few of us can bring their vac sealers to cover what's required.

So basically, there will be 10kg of free hops to be given away at the next Merri Mashers Meeting, on the 25th of March, at the Great Northern, 7pm onwards.

Obviously, a big thanks to Temple Brewing for such an extremely generous donation to the Homebrewing community.
Great!!

But I think we would outstay our welcome at the GN if we proceeded to divvy up 10kg of hops in there private dining room

@New_guy: Based on noise or mess? Or do you think it's more the look of dividing large quantities of a mysterious green herbal product that has a slight resinous aroma?
That's all ok, but what other option would suit?

Just saw Mant's post.
Do you think it'd be ok if we just divvied it into ziplock bags? It'd be fairly quick & quiet.
Between 25 people, it's about 200g of each per person, assuming everyone wants some. Wouldn't need to weigh it either, just by sight should be fine.

Actually, if i got organised, i could probably divide it up myself the night before. I just need to buy 50-odd ziplock bags, 200g into each.
For the cause!

Thanks for jumping on manticle's generous hop offer, with the club in mind, technobabble66.

If the hop distribution is to take place on that night, I reckon a pre-division would work best. Happy to kick a few bucks your way to cover the cost of the bags/time. If you were a bit closer to me, I'd be happy to chip in on the divvy work too but it's a bit far for what's involved, I think.

Shouldn't take long to divide but chuck him a dollar or so each to cover bags (or let Stu take his pick of the hops).

Suggesting, not ordering of course- don't mean to be telling you all how to run your own hop distribution. If GN isn't an option for hop division (and I don't think they'd mind if you are buying their beer) do it at Temple. Then you can thank Renata at the same time.

I'll take some POR. Coopers dark ales are the go!

technobabble66 said:
Just saw Mant's post.
Do you think it'd be ok if we just divvied it into ziplock bags? It'd be fairly quick & quiet.
Between 25 people, it's about 200g of each per person, assuming everyone wants some. Wouldn't need to weigh it either, just by sight should be fine.

Actually, if i got organised, i could probably divide it up myself the night before. I just need to buy 50-odd ziplock bags, 200g into each.
For the cause!
TB66, I'd be happy to help out with the split up. I suggest we do it on my back deck next next to my kegerator in case we get thirsty....

technobabble66 said:
@New_guy: Based on noise or mess? Or do you think it's more the look of dividing large quantities of a mysterious green herbal product that has a slight resinous aroma?
That's all ok, but what other option would suit?

Just saw Mant's post.

For the cause!
Based on mess and 10kg of a green herbal substance being distributed into small packages by a bunch of blokes in a pub........

In Carlton North? Surely no one would bat an eyelid! Could be worse - it could be sodium perc we're dividing...
Mind you, given the activities of some infamous Carlton locals, maybe white powder would be more acceptable than green herbal pellets...
:lol:
Point taken, though.
I might take CB up on his offer & we'll divide it earlier. So we'll just be a bunch of blokes passing around little ziplock bags with green herbal pellets in them, rather than dividing on site. Quick & discreet!

technobabble66 said:
In Carlton North? Surely no one would bat an eyelid! Could be worse - it could be sodium perc we're dividing...
Mind you, given the activities of some infamous Carlton locals, maybe white powder would be more acceptable than green herbal pellets...
:lol:
Point taken, though.
I might take CB up on his offer & we'll divide it earlier. So we'll just be a bunch of blokes passing around little ziplock bags with green herbal pellets in them, rather than dividing on site. Quick & discreet!
then we will fit right in :)

Apologies. My Bad!!

The POR is actually HORIZON pellets

I've fixed the original post, but for those who never read old posts, i'll mention it here. :)

Sadly, it's not the Aussie stalwart i'm sure we're all looking forward to, but on the bright side, Horizon is meant to be a great clean bitterer, with some mild floral & citrus for flavour/aroma qualities

Never tried horizon, but it reads like it similar to GR Magnum as a great clean bitterer, but also has a little flavour/aroma potential if you wanna try some late.
Super stoked to pick some up (for free!!) :lol:

Back