Next meeting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomsaleius

Reaction score
Evening all,
Just thinking. TRB is definitely a good occasional meeting place, and there's no doubt Phil wants to maintain the association and relationship with the club, but we mustn't abuse that relationship and make a nuisance of ourselves. I don't think they were assuming we'd be there keeping the staff on late one night every month. I had hoped to pop in tonight to discuss what we do going forward, but unfortunately didn't get home from work in time.
I think a hall or community venue would definitely be good, and I'm still hoping to contact the Carlton Railway Station Neighbourhood house. But I think that might be better for a weekend thing. Probably same for Ceres, which TimT has suggested. Also, I definitely think we should keep it close to public transport, so people don't feel they have to drive.
I know this will be controversial (as will any proposal), but for the next meet-up, I was wondering if maybe the Temple Brewery might be good. Not because it's a brewery. I definitely don't think we should be just going from brewery to brewery. But just because I think the upstairs room would be a good place for a meeting and discussion. I'm sure there will be no problem with bringing our own brews along too.
Also, brouhaha, I looked up the place you suggested, and the location isn't too bad. Is that easy to get to off the 19 tram, or still a bit of a walk? Thanks for the suggestion.
Anyway, let's get people's thoughts.. Ding ding, round one.

Hi Kevin,

It's pretty close to the 59, 57 and 55 but the 19 is probably 10-15 minute walk depending on the amount of homebrew consumed. It's a good space, but I understand it may not be the best for everyone. Anyway I work there so if you'd like me to ask about using the space, just shout out.

I've never been to Temple Brewery (TB) but so long as they have a suitable space and don't mind us primarily discussing brew club stuff - sounds good. I'd be happy to buy their beer if it's available and made it more worth their while..

Another alternative is that we find a potential 'clubhouse' (i.e. monthly meeting place - probably not a brewery), or set a few options, and test out somewhere which we'd actually be thinking of meeting at regularly. That way we'd at least get a feel for one possibility and potentially save an extra month of deliberation. If it were no good, that's one possibility crossed out. If the venue suited then we have a spot.

But TB sounds fine to me. I don't have any suggestions but I might ask my community-involved family in Northcote if they know of a meeting place or two in the area and report back.

brouhaha said:
Hi Kevin,

It's pretty close to the 59, 57 and 55 but the 19 is probably 10-15 minute walk depending on the amount of homebrew consumed. It's a good space, but I understand it may not be the best for everyone. Anyway I work there so if you'd like me to ask about using the space, just shout out.
temple is closer to 19 than it is to 55, closer to 1, 8 and 96 than either.

I think we should give Alehouse another go - if we are going to discuss club admin why not go there and avail ourselves of some of their beer and food?
I don't think it's a night to be bringing along our beer as we want to nut out some plans so this would make logical sense.
Number 1 & 8 Tram stops out the front and I have been many times and never found it to noisy and as it's a Tuesday night I wouldn't expect it would be to busy.
If everyone had a beer or 2 each this would be good business for them on a possibly quiet night.

Were you at the Alehouse last time, New_guy?

It was a good first meeting and all, no doubt, but the venue really made things difficult - mainly on account of the noise (and it was a Tuesday). Might be ok for a small gathering but trying to have a discussion amongst 15-20 people was nigh impossible.

beermeupscotty said:
Were you at the Alehouse last time, New_guy?

It was a good first meeting and all, no doubt, but the venue really made things difficult - mainly on account of the noise (and it was a Tuesday). Might be ok for a small gathering but trying to have a discussion amongst 15-20 people was nigh impossible.
Fair call - no I wasn't but I have been plenty of times and thought that May have been related to other things happening that night
Maybe the great northern ?
http://greatnortherncarlton.vic.my.local.mobi/app/functions/684561/36/
Website says free function space for up to 30 people if we buy food / drink

I am happy to follow up if people are interested

Actually the Great Northern is a great place, with an excellent beer garden. I'd be happy with that option.
Also, I forgot what day it is today, and I'm not paying hiked prices for roses, so will be popping into the bottle shop for some fizzy fermented grape juice tonight, and the upshot is I probably won't make it into TRB again today. Will send them an email when I get a chance probably, just to get some clarity around how frequently we can come around and make a nuisance of ourselves.

I don't mind the Great Northern suggestion either - if we can get a quiet space!

Why don't we go somewhere near Merri creek? Terminus has private room upstairs, two front bars, 86 tram out the front and Clifton Hill Station (both Epping and Hurstbridge lines).

And probably the best selection of craft beer on tap north of the Yarra.

And it's easy for me to actually get to… lol

First Tuesday. I don't mind a pub - but will they be playing music (ie, making it very hard to hear?) I haven't been in the Terminus or Great Northern so wouldn't know.

Spiesy said:
Why don't we go somewhere near Merri creek? Terminus has private room upstairs, two front bars, 86 tram out the front and Clifton Hill Station (both Epping and Hurstbridge lines).

And probably the best selection of craft beer on tap north of the Yarra.

And it's easy for me to actually get to… lol
No to mention one hell of a steak ;)

TimT said:
First Tuesday. I don't mind a pub - but will they be playing music (ie, making it very hard to hear?) I haven't been in the Terminus or Great Northern so wouldn't know.
Doubt it. There's two front bars, and a quiet, usually deserted upstairs.

Okay - I gave the Great Northern a call - they have a private dining room we can use free of charge - but they do expect us to sample some of there 22 beer taps.....

It appears that Tuesday Nights are popular the first available Tuesday is 25th March and we have a booking for:
Tuesday 25th March @ 7pm in the private dining room at the Great Northern Hotel
644 Rathdowne Street, North Carlton

Here is there info:
Great Northern Beer http://www.gnh.net.au/beer.htm
Great Northern Functions http://www.gnh.net.au/functions.htm
Great Northern Food http://www.gnh.net.au/food.htm

If everyone wants to do something else or go somewhere else no drama I will cancel the booking - as this is a private dining room I expect that we should be able to talk easily and other groups use the room regularly (thus the popularity)

.... but they do expect us to sample some of there 22 beer taps.....

Oh the sacrifice!

Thanks New Guy! Personally I don't mind last Tuesday of March - though it depends on what others think?

When we polled on meet times, the poll was somewhat limited (first two weeks of February), but the first and second Tuesday of the month (at 7 pm) were the most popular days (and both equally popular). Without doing another poll it seems a fairly safe bet that later in the month would be just as popular.

Oh yeah.

The only other thing I was going to say was a regular last-Tuesday-of-the-month meet would of course clash with Christmas celebrations for a lot of folk. (I'm pretty sure most of us aren't Muslims....) On the other hand, in December I think the event should be a Christmas drinkies anyway, which can happen anytime.

And by having a semi-regular meet last Tuesday of the month we avoid the thorny 'should we hold a meeting on Melbourne Cup night' issue....

TimT said:
Oh yeah.

The only other thing I was going to say was a regular last-Tuesday-of-the-month meet would of course clash with Christmas celebrations for a lot of folk. (I'm pretty sure most of us aren't Muslims....) On the other hand, in December I think the event should be a Christmas drinkies anyway, which can happen anytime.

And by having a semi-regular meet last Tuesday of the month we avoid the thorny 'should we hold a meeting on Melbourne Cup night' issue....
I tried for 1st Tuesday - only available on last Tuesday

We could call this an "extraordinary" meeting to get ourselves sorted

Then start at regular intervals

Latest posts

Back