Next meeting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Popped into Temple tonight for a pot and happened to get talking to Renata, Layed it all out, new club, told her its super early days for the club and we weren't planning on being a too regular burden. She was more than happy to have us upstairs, even thought monthly was fine. Also happy to provide glassware, but no Homebrew to leave the upstairs dining area, no contaminates in anywhere that could meet the brewery.

Catch is she's really only keen to have us on the Thursday night, provided there isn't a function on, and although she didn't say it, it'd be only fair that attendees grabbed a pot on the way upstairs. So Sounds like it could be a good deal for both provided we behave ourselves.

Perhaps thats a great way to time the night out once we are into a groove, Administration lasts only as long as the first pot!

cheers

New_guy said:
I tried for 1st Tuesday - only available on last Tuesday

We could call this an "extraordinary" meeting to get ourselves sorted

Then start at regular intervals
Hey thanks for this! Personally I'm quite happy to go with this date at the GN. Although I think we should try to settle down to a fairly predictable pattern eventually.
Also. thanks Charst for asking Renata at Temple. We'll keep that in mind for a future meeting.

Anyone object to the 25th March at the Great Northern?

Anyway, in the hope I'll be able to bring something half-drinkable to a future meeting, I'm tonight preparing for a brew day tomorrow. I also made sure to bring champagne and chocolate home, as my missus is taking the kids out of contamination range tomorrow, so not the time to upset her. Trying a new technique (well, new to me) which I've only read about, but will no doubt be discussing with you lot at some point, involving step-mashing half the bill and then single infusion the rest in the runnings. Probably crap efficiency, but you have to try these things. This is largely due to the size limitations of my Crown urn, and the fact I'm going for a nearly 9kg grain bill. So off to do some sanitising.

Thanks again.

Whilst I'm not sure what Carlton has to do with Merri Creek, I begrudgingly welcome the next instalment of our gathering ;)

Spiesy said:
Whilst I'm not sure what Carlton has to do with Merri Creek, I begrudgingly welcome the next instalment of our gathering ;)
Mate happy to can this and go with a better option - what do u suggest?

Charst said:
Hi all,

Popped into Temple tonight for a pot and happened to get talking to Renata, Layed it all out, new club, told her its super early days for the club and we weren't planning on being a too regular burden. She was more than happy to have us upstairs, even thought monthly was fine. Also happy to provide glassware, but no Homebrew to leave the upstairs dining area, no contaminates in anywhere that could meet the brewery.

Catch is she's really only keen to have us on the Thursday night, provided there isn't a function on, and although she didn't say it, it'd be only fair that attendees grabbed a pot on the way upstairs. So Sounds like it could be a good deal for both provided we behave ourselves.

Perhaps thats a great way to time the night out once we are into a groove, Administration lasts only as long as the first pot!

cheers
Maybe we could rotate between Alehouse , great northern , TRB and temple so we get access or great brewery venues but don't outstay our welcome ????

Spiesy said:
I don't think we should get too hung up on the Merri Creek connection. That's just the name we decided on. The original idea was just to have club that covers the northern suburbs. Well, Carlton is a northern suburb.

2ce0wsw.jpg
MERRI CREEK
It flows through, or forms a part of the borders between the suburbs of Wallan, Kalkallo, Donnybrook, Craigieburn, Wollert, Epping, Somerton, Campbellfield, Lalor, Thomastown, Fawkner, Reservoir, Coburg North, Coburg, Preston, Thornbury, Brunswick East, Northcote, Westgarth, Fitzroy North, Clifton Hill and Fairfield

Not too fussed about the date - so long as we get the regularity happening.

25th of March will be 7 weeks after our last meet, which would be very close (closer) to our potential fourth (April) meet. We could potentially squeeze another meet in before then but I guess it just depends how soon we want to get things sorted.

My main concern with using a public venue is noise. As mentioned, communication was a real challenge at the Alehouse so I think we should be sure to avoid that kind of situation, especially as we'll be focusing on making serious progress with the admin/logistics etc. on the night - but private rooms sound ace.

New_guy said:
Mate happy to can this and go with a better option - what do u suggest?
I was just taking the piss.

I had suggested the Terminus in a recent post, but whatever the majority decide I'm cool with. And it sounds like the Great Northern has got the nod, no worries.

Spiesy said:
I was just taking the piss.

I had suggested the Terminus in a recent post, but whatever the majority decide I'm cool with. And it sounds like the Great Northern has got the nod, no worries.
Maybe check out what Terminus has to offer???

25th of March will be 7 weeks after our last meet, which would be very close (closer) to our potential fourth (April) meet. We could potentially squeeze another meet in before then but I guess it just depends how soon we want to get things sorted.

If it works we could just stick with fourth Tuesday of the month - as I noted before that would allow us to avoid clashing with Melbourne Cup celebrations in November.

TimT said:

If it works we could just stick with fourth Tuesday of the month - as I noted before that would allow us to avoid clashing with Melbourne Cup celebrations in November.
Sure. Sounds good.

OK, sounds like no major objections to the Great Northern on the 25th. Happy to go to the Terminus another time.
Also, if there are no major disagreements, then 4th Tuesday from now? (However, what happens when we try to book the next place and find that the 4th Tuesday is not an option? Do we change again?)

(Oh, and got 1.097, which is still just around 70%)

Kevin Hawley said:
OK, sounds like no major objections to the Great Northern on the 25th. Happy to go to the Terminus another time.
Also, if there are no major disagreements, then 4th Tuesday from now? (However, what happens when we try to book the next place and find that the 4th Tuesday is not an option? Do we change again?)

Done

If next time we encounter a booking issue on set date, we find a different venue. Best to lock a date down to make things easy, IMHO.

Kevin Hawley said:

Once we make some decisions and can lock in dates we can then book our venue in advance
Happy to put my hand up to manage bookings

Yeah, but if I'd thought that calling ourselves the Merri Mashers was going to imply restricting our membership to just those suburbs bordering the creek, I would have definitely voted against it. It's just a name. Technically, as I'm in Brunswick (3056 - I live on the same street as the Thunder Road Brewery) and not Brunswick East (3057) should I be resigning my membership?

Anyway, I am about to post something in the general club area about a discussion topic for the next meeting. Please do not reply if you are not a member of a club other than Merri Mashers.

Thanks.

Back