Next meeting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beermeupscotty said:
Here's a little list of things which was used last meeting, which I've slightly modified for next meeting. Feel free to take a geez and add anything you like (and re-upload).
Can't see attachment

Evening all,
Haven't been on for a while. A combination of being too knackered after work, which is crazy at the moment, even working evenings and weekends to get this iPad and TabletWeb app out on time (I work in Sportsbet IT on middleware), and this forum occasionally appearing to be down.
Anyway, great stuff getting the hops. If we also get some grain from TR, there's a pretty obvious idea for a brew competition there.
Also, good idea New_guy starting the head count forum. Do we know how flexible the GN are about the numbers? Given everything going on with the TR thing and the hops on Facebook & stuff, I must admit I'm starting to get a bit worried about the numbers.
And beermeupscotty, thanks for the agenda document. I was going to suggest we have an agenda. However that's a lot to get through in one night. I'd actually be inclined to start with the question of club structure, and whether people want a constitution and committee or not. Perhaps we can have a speaker for (carniebrew?) and against (TimT?) and then maybe a vote? If the vote is for a constitution and committee, then I guess the next thing (not necessarily on the night) would be to see who wants to be on the committee. Then we can sort out an AGM and election. etc. etc.
Either way, there are plenty of proactive people in the club willing to work to keep this going.

Kevin Hawley said:
Evening all,
Haven't been on for a while. A combination of being too knackered after work, which is crazy at the moment, even working evenings and weekends to get this iPad and TabletWeb app out on time (I work in Sportsbet IT on middleware), and this forum occasionally appearing to be down.
Anyway, great stuff getting the hops. If we also get some grain from TR, there's a pretty obvious idea for a brew competition there.
Also, good idea New_guy starting the head count forum. Do we know how flexible the GN are about the numbers? Given everything going on with the TR thing and the hops on Facebook & stuff, I must admit I'm starting to get a bit worried about the numbers.
And beermeupscotty, thanks for the agenda document. I was going to suggest we have an agenda. However that's a lot to get through in one night. I'd actually be inclined to start with the question of club structure, and whether people want a constitution and committee or not. Perhaps we can have a speaker for (carniebrew?) and against (TimT?) and then maybe a vote? If the vote is for a constitution and committee, then I guess the next thing (not necessarily on the night) would be to see who wants to be on the committee. Then we can sort out an AGM and election. etc. etc.
Either way, there are plenty of proactive people in the club willing to work to keep this going.
Hi Kev
Should be good for 25-30 people so prob ok (as long as bags of green herbal material are note strewn everywhere) :)
Good plan - let's vote on basic club structure and if you're not present you don't get a vote

New_guy said:
Hi Kev
Should be good for 25-30 people so prob ok (as long as bags of green herbal material are note strewn everywhere) :)
Good plan - let's vote on basic club structure and if you're not present you don't get a vote
Just re- read that - I wish to rephrase as

"Those that are not present cannot participate in the vote"

Agenda! I like it.

The idea of hearing the pro's and con's of either having a committee or not and placing a vote on the issue is great, and fleshing out the result with more discussion on the chosen path sounds bang on, let's not drag this out (yes I know lets not rush it either).

I suppose what I'm saying is that either way of the vote we should be prepared to discuss it further on the night allowing actions to be completed for the next meeting.

Yes that sounds a bit YAWN but it does need to be done...

My 2p :D

We may just want to run un-incorporated for a few months and see how everything pans out, it's only when we're starting to look at official-type events/functions that formal incorporation would make some sense. No hurry for it while we're just a bunch of blokes catching up at the pub to talk about brewing over a few crafties. If we decide this looks like something that's got legs, and we want to start running brew comps, club outings and the like, that'll probably be the time to formalise things.

I look forward to an open chat about it at the next meeting to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am sorry if I missed this - but what are the rules for bringing your own home-brewed beers to a pub to share ... ?

Forever Wort said:
I am sorry if I missed this - but what are the rules for bringing your own home-brewed beers to a pub to share ... ?
We get the room for free but general rule is buy a beer or 2

beermeupscotty said:
Here's a little list of things which was used last meeting, which I've slightly modified for next meeting. Feel free to take a geez and add anything you like (and re-upload).
can see doc - appears you cant see file attachments when using the tapatalk phone app
list looks great

New_guy said:
Have you ever been to a pub where you BYO?
It makes sense that at brew club meetings you taste beer club members have brewed. It also makes sense that you don't drink beer from home at a pub. The meeting is in a "function room" and a pub. Therefore the conflict, the question.

I thought it was a fair question, for reasons stated, but it's good to have it clarified.

It would make sense for us to select venues where we can bring our own brews in future (unless we're specifically checking out a specific brewery/pub etc.). Can't remember if we were avoiding that side of things for this meeting because we wanted to focus on club organisation related discussion or not...

For all reasons stated above we need to have robust discussion around where we have our meetings. We need a mixture of venues so we can do everything we want to do.

OK, so we are getting a room for free in a great pub, and this is absolutely great for our discussions of how to get the club organised.
I appreciate it's a homebrew club, and we will definitely book a venue for the next meeting where we definitely can bring our brews (I have a cracker of a 90/- I want to share) but unfortunately, if the Great Northern do not want us to bring our own homebrew, then we must respect that.

Sorry guys. No homebrew to be brought to this meeting.

In future, we'll maybe have a policy of only booking venues where we can bring our brews. But please respect the wishes of the Great Northern proprietors for this meet.

Thanks

So, popped into TR tonight (their new Chuckanut collaboration Marzen is a beautifully biscuity malty, but balanced cracker of a brew) and spoke to Marcus. Someone will be at the meeting on Tuesday. Could be just Sam, we'll see.
But we spoke again about the offer to be paid for the Community Day stuff in e.g. ingredients. As we're getting some hops from Temple, I was thinking maybe grain. Marcus was suggesting we discuss maybe coming up with a mix of grains we would like, in specific ratios. Basically a recipe grain bill, but on a big scale. This can be base malts and speciality, or just one or the other. If it's a commercially available malt or grain, they can probably provide a quantity of something similar. The quantity on offer will depend on what grain bill we want to go with. Then perhaps we could have a competition based around process? Who can make the best beer with the stipulated ingredients (perhaps adding your own speciality malt or other hops may be allowed, we can discuss).
So we can maybe put this down as an agenda item for Tuesday? Then we'll let TR know, and then we'll work something out for distribution to those who want to participate (OK, haven't completely thought this through yet, but we'll work something out).

Latest posts

Back