Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzo

Reaction score
Hey guys

love my beer, especiall crafted stuff and have decided to start brewing my own.

I have absolutely no clue of where to start. Just started looking up starter kits but was wondering if anyone had any tips or reccomendations on good kits to start me off and get some quality brew?

cheers

All kits can be good, method and how its made is what matters.
Please read www.howtobrew.com, discuss.

Welcome and good luck.

This is a good place to start.

A few basic tips.

Ferment at 18 - 20 deg, not 27 as it says on your kit instructions. There are exceptions to this rule, but for now just try and do that.

Use malt extract and a some dextrose with your can. Not so much cane sugar.

Try a few different yeasts. Don't think you have to use the one in the kit.

Sanitise everything.

+1 for sanitising.
Cleanliness is next to godliness.
Welcome aboard and have fun!

Read as much as you can on this site, enjoy the brewing process!

Cooper's Canadian Blonde is easy one..and use a BE2 add on..makes a reasonable brew for starters..also dr Smuto's Golden Ale Kit version
KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Also get a copy Kit/extract spreadsheet

Brew a few kit n bits and go to an all grain brew demo. Speculate. Taste the results. Question the mega swill. Go forth and brew to your tongues desire.

I'd start with something basic like a coopers kit just to get your head round the process and the basics of home brewing. Then make your way on dry extract, and play about with hop, malt, grain and yeast variations.

It's great to drink something you've created yourself and your learn so much along the way. You'll make plenty of mistakes but you'll learn along the way. And one day you'll make a beer that you say to yourself 'I'd pay for that'.

It's an awesome pastime.

I love it, even the cleaning and sanitising!!

adryargument said:
All kits can be good, method and how its made is what matters.
Please read www.howtobrew.com, discuss.
Yeah, that site/book is almost useless for someone who has never brewed and wants to punch out a beer made with stuff from Big W/wherever. Way over-recommended to n00bs.

As discussed above, temp control and sanitation are the first two things to get on top of. Black Devil Dog's link has some great advice for both of these.

Welcome to the board and the hobby, kizzo!

+1 for

Good sanitising
Temperature control, grab an old fridge and a digital controller
Give beer time to mature and come together drinking it (most styles anyway)
Kits are a platform for good beer......what you do with them decides whether it'll be swill or excellence.
Good beers aren't hard - they're only a decision away.

Enjoy the site, read much, take on-board advice and brew often.

Martin

Latest posts

Back