Overflowing brew issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry5410

Reaction score
Hi, I started my first brew yesterday and have run into a few issues. I'm pretty sure the barrel I got is a little too small for the kit I bought as the mixture ended up filling the barrel almost all the way. It caused the beer to overflow slightly out of the airlock earlier today. I decided to take matters into my own hands, to try and avoid future clean-up jobs. I opened the brew and poured a small portion of it away (I assumed the leakage was due to the mixture level being so high that the gas escaping forced liquid out of the airlock). I noticed that a lot of yeast remained on the underside of the lid (there was still some on top of the mixture, however). I haven't scraped it off the lid into the mixture or anything like that as I didn't want to contaminate the mixture. Do you have any advice/ do you think the beer will turn out ok if I leave it as is - or should I scrape some of the yeast that got stuck onto the lid back onto the mixture?

I wouldn't bother trying to scrape anything off the lid, I'm sure it'll be fine. The majority of your yeast will still be suspended in the fermenting wort doing it's thing.

Sounds fine mate she'll be okay. If you're using the 25L water barrel from Bunnings like I am then I fill to the middle of the handle indents and no higher. A few litres shy of your 'proper' 23L brew but I don't miss it. I usually end up bottling about 50 stubbies so I'm happy.

Good rule of thumb is to fill to about 2/3 fermenter capacity. This will vary depending on the yeast you use, whether you are pressure fermenting and a few other things but generally you will have enough space for a 23L brew in a 30L fermenter.

Latest posts

Back