New Little Creatures Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa

Reaction score
From the Little Creatures website:

Winter conjures up all kinds of amazing imagery... hiding from the cold reality of the outdoors, nestled into a great big couch in front of the fireplace with a beer that warms you up from the inside out...

With the winter solstice approaching, our flavour loving palates started drifting to the thought of winter warmers and the great tradition of European spiced ales. With the help of a local spice merchant we began the process of figuring out just how we could satisfy this craving...

White pepper, ginger, all spice, pimento, cinnamon and more landed on our bench and our imaginations went wild trying to determine which of those would give us just the right balance of spice and what mix of hops and malt we would choose to bring it all together.

In the end in was allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg that caught our fancy... With a mix of Belgian specialty malts, UK Sovereign and Challenger hops for gentle bitterness and a dash of dark muscovado sugar to deliver a warming molasses character, we have crafted an ale rich in flavour and complexity with plenty going on. In honour of the upcoming solstice we've called it "Day of the Long Shadow" and suggest this beer is best savoured long into a cold winter night, sipped slowly while solving the elusive problems of the world.

Day of the Long Shadow will be heading around the country from June 25th. Try it first at our brewers' shout on Monday June 25th from 4pm here in Freo or from 4.30pm over at the Melbourne Dining Hall.

Stay tuned for details of where to find it near you...

Can not wait for this one. Hopefully it should be good :D

Should be a good hit, ima try for a pallet :D

Massive beer, like drinking a pint of wine. Strong spice notes.

IMG_20120626_00066.jpg

Just sitting down and enjoying one of these now. Strong spices with a bit of dark fruits and all round a nice drop. Good to see something different.

Sounds quite nice wonder when it will reach Cairns.

Got a couple of Quiet American from Dans last week but was not overly fond of it.

Grabbing one at the sail and anchor now, quite tasty. On first bite the spices hit and I wasn't sure, but then half way through.... warms the belly and I like...

And another Aussie success story sold to the Japanese ..... Sad :-(

best they not destroy the Pale Ale ...

And another Aussie success story sold to the Japanese ..... Sad :-(

best they not destroy the Pale Ale ...

The upside (if there is any) is that the Japanese are really starting to get into craft beer and microbreweries.

For a place that you can buy beer out of a vending machine and it's all yellow and frothy, that's a big jump.

My brother brought me back a few cans from Shiga Kogen (which is just a dodgy ski resort), and for them to be making a decent witbier and porter is a big jump. Apparently they had blueberry porter and a decently hoppy beer that 'tasted like one of your beers'.

That wouldn't have happened 5 years ago. So maybe this is Kirin recognising even through it's own people where the market currently is.

I'm not sticking up for conglomerate beer - but expressing some sort of hope that they might respect LC and WR enough to keep them doing what they do.

Tried it on hand pump @ The Archive last night. No thanks, style aint my glass of beer.

Tried it on hand pump @ The Archive last night. No thanks, style aint my glass of beer.

I may be forced to detour via Archive on the way home tonight and see for myself.

allegedly Ferry Road Wine & Beer in Southport has it. Maybe give them a tingle?

https://littlecreatures.com.au/stockists?po...p;beers%5B%5D=1

That stockist map is really starting to shit me! Last couple of single batches i have ventured to dotted places and they look at me like i am speaking Japanese!
Went to a couple yesterday same thing...

Now that they are going to have all the extra Japanese financial backing, they could send out some simple paper flyers same as the on-line ones to the stockist in advance to stick on there counter or something.

That stockist map is really starting to shit me! Last couple of single batches i have ventured to dotted places and they look at me like i am speaking Japanese!
Went to a couple yesterday same thing...

I went to a liquor store on the stockist map yesterday looking for this beer, went to the fridges at the back and couldn't find it. Turned around and was about to leave when I noticed a few unopened cartons of it sitting on the floor amongst some other Little Creatures beers. I went up to the counter and asked about it, thinking that they'd been set aside for someone. But the guy there looked as if he didn't even know what I was talking about, or even knew that it was there in the first place. Got 4 of them in the end for $6.50 each.

Picked up a six pack yesterday at the Unity in Balmain.
I didn't mind it, went well with my curry.
I was pissed after the first pint...

Back