Name the bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a bit late, but Bar None would have been pretty cool

The best pub in the world......

Edit: Might get a bit rough though I suppose.

malt junkie said:
Fatz,

you head south of the boarder; we'll get together and have a few brews like at barls' then we'll go to Foragers Drop, and Yob can explain whilst we sample a few light ales (like RIS). Hopefully there be a sour or two.

Mike
Pretty certain after the first few brews I won't worry about the name of the place ... And likely not worry next day anyway

Mr B said:
Its a bit late, but Bar None would have been pretty cool

The best pub in the world......

Edit: Might get a bit rough though I suppose.
There's a pub in Canberra called All Bar Nun.

Shows the Rugby on the big screen so I like it.

Bar None

few of those already, great name, agreed...

we settled on Foragers because its sort of what craft people do, search about for good morsels, venues, whatever.. good beer will travel ;)

we settled on that particular venue because out this way its not common to find a craft beer bar at all, the council doesnt really like handing out new licenses either so thats also good.. its situated above a craft beer bottle shop thats sort of new but doing good things in the area.. god knows, Ive given him enough money to support a second wife :lol:

we also settled on this venue because its 10 minutes from home.. win

I'll be working the venue up from scratch pretty much and wont initially be open 7 days, the plan is to open Thursday through Saturday and build it from there.. I'll be working city job Monday to Wednesday until we can build the bar up so I've really got my work cut out for me..

I do like a good challenge

Well, there you go, didnt know that. No point having something that is common.

Foragers is ace BTW, was just a musing about the other one.

All the best with it, super good times ahead

Cheers

Yob said:
the plan is to open Thursday through Saturday and build it from there.. I'll be working city job Monday to Wednesday until we can build the bar up so I've really got my work cut out for me..
...and on the 7th day, the RIS will be brewed.

Congratulations Jesse. A new venture that is a little less sticky than your previous encounters. I'm gonna miss those hop dealz that were so close to only to gain a new pit stop on the way home.

Midnight Brew said:
...and on the 7th day, the RIS will be brewed.

Congratulations Jesse. A new venture that is a little less sticky than your previous encounters. I'm gonna miss those hop dealz that were so close to only to gain a new pit stop on the way home.
Ive still got one big split in front of me... will miss the sticky stinky nights hunched over a vac sealer :icon_drool2:

Sure you'll get a fair few of us localsin on your first night, and thereafter. Sneaky pint or two on the way home at the end of the week sounds like a plan. Best of luck with it.

Just my 2c, but Foragers as a name just seems a little bearded, sandal wearing, camra member, and I'm not sure there's a lot of us in Mitcham or elsewhere locally. Plus there nothing that says 'local', and although it's your business, the more the local punters feel invested in its success, the better. I still astounded at the support the local footy team gets for each and every home game. That little stadium gets packed. In Sydney, at equivalent grade rugby league, you'd be lucky if you had to use two hands to count the crowd. It just seems to be the way melburnians are wired, they root for their team and I think you need to play to that.

As an extra two cents, if you're not going to do food initially, maybe think about lining up a selection of local takeaways that customers can order from that will deliver to your venue. If you line up just a few, you can probably come to an arrangement to clip the ticket on the way, might only be a dollar or so, important thing is that your customers will still be buying your drinks. Plus it gives you a massive point of difference in the food department from the crap offered over the road.

That is the plan BD, the joint is surrounded by food, I'd be foolish not to engage with the local traders, the Bitter Phew does the same thing in Sydney, Mmm blame Canada burger...and the great Britain hotel did the same in its day too, it works very well indeed...

We had all sorts of 'local' names but in the end the all felt a little naff.. I keep coming back to the spotted mallard as an example (was also for sale a little while back) of how a bar name need not be specific in its meaning.. what the actual **** is a mallard and why is it spotty?

A forager could also be a scantily clad Scandinavian also right?

Mardoo said:
Indeed there is a call for coffees. I spent about a quarter of my time as a bartender making coffees.
f

In the bar I own we dropped the coffee machine after the first weekend. We were constantly asked to make a coffee which took a considerable amount of time whilst the bar was lined up. It would have ended in extra staff to make the few coffees when required.
Not my cup of tea!

Back