My Other Hobby....fishing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice necro.

I went to Coffs last week for a Spanaird and a good spotty out of a mates boat...

spanish3.4.13.jpg

This tasty little fella went 35lb.

Awesome thread guys. Living in Broome for 18 years I was spoilt with fishing. Lots of Barra, Spanish macks, sailfish, Blue bone, you name it. Anyway that was over 5 years ago and since I moved back to melbourne I haven't done much fishing.

SWMBO has never caught a fish so this weekend were going camping to Port Albert so I hope to be able to post a pic of her first catch on here.

Anyone here fished Port Albert before and can give me some tips?

Here is a short video clip of my mate catching a bluebone at Quondong North of Broome. (Check out the catch in the tub)

http://youtu.be/Gi86-YKdJfs

We usually lure fish for these fellas round home in the rivers....

bigcod1net.jpg

Awesome thread, and nice mulloway, Fish.

This was a couple of years ago up near Tamala station on the way to Steep Point, W.A. We caught some 85 cm pinkies that trip, but I lost all the pics on a hard drive crash. I know, heard that before ;) Hoping to head up that way again this year.

4686_1165788028666_3994233_n.jpg

Truman said:
SWMBO has never caught a fish so this weekend were going camping to Port Albert so I hope to be able to post a pic of her first catch on here.

Anyone here fished Port Albert before and can give me some tips?
Have not technically "caught" a fish out of Port Albert, but do however have an anecdote:

Was down there probably 5 or 6 years ago, more wanting to wet some line than catch anything. An hour, maybe two passes, and just getting to the point of frustration, when a family with two young boys comes along and sits themselves on the next jetty, maybe 20 mt away. Within minutes they're pulling in fish left, right and centre.

After a half-dozen, the older of the boys, maybe 7 years old, starts yelling out top of his voice "I'm the king of the Trevally, I'm the king of the Trevally! Woo-hoo!". Have never wanted to commit infanticide so badly in my life.

So, take home lesson, fish from the outer-most jetty at Port Albert, and choose the right bait.

Edit, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. Yeah, I sound like a grumpy old man.

WarmBeer said:
Have not technically "caught" a fish out of Port Albert, but do however have an anecdote:

Was down there probably 5 or 6 years ago, more wanting to wet some line than catch anything. An hour, maybe two passes, and just getting to the point of frustration, when a family with two young boys comes along and sits themselves on the next jetty, maybe 20 mt away. Within minutes they're pulling in fish left, right and centre.

After a half-dozen, the older of the boys, maybe 7 years old, starts yelling out top of his voice "I'm the king of the Trevally, I'm the king of the Trevally! Woo-hoo!". Have never wanted to commit infanticide so badly in my life.

So, take home lesson, fish from the outer-most jetty at Port Albert, and choose the right bait.

Edit, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. Yeah, I sound like a grumpy old man.
So many of your threads come across as authoritative, in-control, knowledgeable...while I feel closer to you as a human being due to your honesty, I feel a little deflated also...

Lecterfan said:
So many of your threads come across as authoritative, in-control, knowledgeable...while I feel closer to you as a human being due to your honesty, I feel a little deflated also...
Lecterfan, just remember, a glass of water in between alcoholic beverages. Advice I have not heeded tonight and will continue to eschew. I am indifferent to any strong desire to attain the impossible.

haha, no the big B and I have an understanding...

jyo said:

This was a couple of years ago up near Tamala station on the way to Steep Point, W.A. We caught some 85 cm pinkies that trip, but I lost all the pics on a hard drive crash. I know, heard that before ;) Hoping to head up that way again this year.

Nice pinkie! i can see you had a full head of hair back then too!!!

Some of my other fish...

IMG_5250.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

CAM00239.jpg

425642_10151307501529684_1344493584_n.jpg

284773_10150257764074684_524699683_7295801_1590048_n.jpg

Trying to think what else i have in this comp, i know i have a cobe and a GT somewhere...

cobia36lb1.jpg

Fought the GT wearing a moon boot, two days after getting the cast off my broken ankle.

biggt40lb1.jpg

Found a half grown snapper too...

6kilosnapper1.jpg

jyo said:

Nice bait fish Jyo.....
I wouldn't get out of bed early for that.........
BBB
18022_280409072095387_1910501790_n.jpg

Bada Bing Brewery said:
Nice bait fish Jyo.....
BBB

yeah you can keep your neighbour fish mate.

fish13 said:
yeah you can keep your neighbour fish mate.
It's a mother in law fish up here in Gero ;)
I don't even bother taking photo's anymore as all we catch are dhuies ...... it's a pain.
BBB

grrrr i have caught 3 dhuies in my time. I hope to hit jurien bay again for a baldchin

fish13 said:
grrrr i have caught 3 dhuies in my time. I hope to hit jurien bay again for a baldchin
Well it's just about right time - all months without an "R", dhuies come in close to bred. Seriously though - that is all we catch. Occasional poxy pinky, baldy's here and there and the odd coral trout.
Back in the good old days we would go down to African reef (15nm south of Gero) and just load up with 8 dhuies per man. No use going so far now with this shit 2 per boat restriction. 8 per person was stupid, 2 per boat is stupid - should be 4 per boat and then it makes the trip worth it....
my 2c
BBB

yeah but we have to fish for the future you know.....

But the new changes to the fish bag limits makes a little sense. Although i think a huge pinky or dhuie is more than a feed for a family of 6.....

But you did you eat that rubbery *******???

Bada Bing Brewery said:
Nice bait fish Jyo.....
BBB

Back