My Other Hobby....fishing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be an avid kayak fisher on the gold coast. My yak had GPS, sounder and a sail for long distance trolling. Was worth more than a small tinnie, as every ******* pointed out to me. Just a different feeling being out at see mixing it with big fish while sitting on a small plastic vessel. The other upside was sneaking up into skinny water where boats can't go and chasing jacks, bream and flatties. I also used it for chasing bass on Hinze dam, never scored a saratoga though unfortunately.

A reasonable 16.5lb snapper I landed last Saturday.

88.jpg

Just to prove I was in British Columbia and not sitting in a prague pub

praha_canada_2008_395.jpg

Smoked salmon eh Tony? :D
Cant bring it back to Australia even smoked so we are canning some. The two ladies on the trip, Enid and Patty caught a 35lb and 25 lb respectively and those went to the canners, who assure us that it is our very own fish that come back to us, so we should eventually savour some genuine wild Chinook. Incidentally, that fish of mine was only 24lb so once again I was upstaged by herself.

Good news. I have just gotten home from my first offshore night fish in my little boat. We got a few trevally and then I put down a live yakka and caught a massive cobia. Back in the creek we saw a light on and a few guys having beers on a big charter boat. I asked if they had scales as mine would not measure this thing. The deck hand said he'd give me an estimate if we pulled alongside. He freaked when he saw it. Over 50kg probably close to 55 he reckoned. Teri weighs 40 so I have finally done it.

The guy cleaned it for us but we didn't have the freezer room for it so we swapped him for a coral trout.

cobe5.jpg

cobe3.jpg

sensational henno.

went up to coff's last week to visit dad and my bro. went out two times once at moonee and once at red rock only for a couple of bream :(

sensational henno.

went up to coff's last week to visit dad and my bro. went out two times once at moonee and once at red rock only for a couple of bream :(

i used to fish red rock a bit when i lived at sandy beach, ( just outside of woolgoolga ), moved to yamba and had some luck live baiting for jewies in the clarence, nowhere near as big as that crescent head monster though :eek:

Cheers
Yard

ive done a little kyak fishing, it is a really interesting experience being pulled around the water by the little bugger your trying to reel in. i will admit im not an overly big fan but i will keep doing it occasionally. i much prefer taking the boat out and chasing sharks, una mackeral which ever is on season. and can't go wrong with having a go at the crabs.

I have browsed this thread many times admiring nice fish etc, didnt think showing off very average catches was waranted but then this.
Took my son outside for the first time.Whilst on recent hols
22/12/08 Off Gold Coast 35kg on 15kg tag & release. Only a baby really but my first beaky. Big thrill Sore arms and kneecaps, loved every second.
100_3793.JPG
100_3786.JPG
:icon_cheers:
Daz

Well done mate. I gather it is a little black?

I'm after my first billfish at the moment but they have been a bit of a no show here this summer. Well at least they are in my little 4.2 tinnie. What size boat you got DKS?

Nice fish Henno.
I got a few big spaniards off Capr Trib last year whilst on holiday, around 35 kilo.
Headed down to Cape Jervois few weeks back and scored 14 snapper but only 38 to 55cm. Cant seem to get on to any big snapper this year.

Well done mate. I gather it is a little black?

I'm after my first billfish at the moment but they have been a bit of a no show here this summer. Well at least they are in my little 4.2 tinnie. What size boat you got DKS?

Thanks Henno
Yeh its a black but they still have some nice colouring when they arc up. Apparently these things are in numbers along the southern QLD stretch around Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast.

As for my boat well lets say its not really a boat more like 3m of scrap ali. But one day, one day, Ill get a real boat.

This fish was taken on a charter of course, the only way I could manage to have a crack at this type of fishing these days. (Like I said one day...mmmm). :icon_cheers:
Daz

This was our effort on the weekend. Pretty unusual to get an emperor at this spot. It is pretty close to shore. Bloody good eating as well. We did his head and flaps with loads of rock salt in the webber. I also had a piece of fillet. Yummo.

emperor.jpg

Nice one henno.

Just got my boat fixed too, butterfly valves on the carbys were all out of whack. Cant wait to take it out.

Get into those gummy sharks and port phillip snapper then Fents!

DownSouth_025.jpg

Nothing like the fish that have being posted before. But not a bad first catch for my little 6 year old. Brought it in herself she was convinced she got a shark.

A very memorable experience!

Latest posts

Back