My Other Hobby....fishing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snagler

Reaction score
Feb_Holiday_2007_054.jpgAs I see it beer and beach fishing go hand in hand, so I thought I would start this new thread on your biggest or best catch.

Here is mine, caught a few months ago off the beach whilst holidaying at Crescent Head NSW

30kg / 66pound caught on 20pound mono line

Oh.... Forgot to mention it is a Mulloway (jew fish) for those non anglers

Nice idea for a off topic thread.
Man that is a monster :super:

My biggest fish were also mulloway of the beach, no pics though. Funny thing was even though they were the biggest fish I have ever caught the two I did catch were both under size both of golwa beach here in S.A and nowhere near the size of that monster of the sea you got there.

Bliiiiiing! my kind of thread.

God daaaamn that one massive jew! still yet to catch a jewie (dont think we get em that big down here in Vic)..

I own a 4.5mt half cabin with a suzuki 2 stroke 50 on the back and an aux motor. We usually fish Port phillip bay but am damn tired of catching small flatties. This year we will prob sell it so i can get somthing a tad smaller i can launch and retrive by myself.

Here she is : Just Browsing
JustBrwosing.jpg

Down in Vic its all bout the elusive snapper, gummys and king geirge whiting. Heres a couple of pinkies i pulled out of bass straight

Image012.jpg

Want to start fishing Western Port bay more as well as some freshwater. Cant wait till this cold weather piss's off so i can get back out.

Bliiiiiing! my kind of thread.

God daaaamn that one massive jew! still yet to catch a jewie (dont think we get em that big down here in Vic)..

I own a 4.5mt half cabin with a suzuki 2 stroke 50 on the back and an aux motor. We usually fish Port phillip bay but am damn tired of catching small flatties. This year we will prob sell it so i can get somthing a tad smaller i can launch and retrive by myself.

Here she is : Just Browsing
JustBrwosing.jpg

Down in Vic its all bout the elusive snapper, gummys and king geirge whiting. Heres a couple of pinkies i pulled out of bass straight

Image012.jpg

Want to start fishing Western Port bay more as well as some freshwater. Cant wait till this cold weather piss's off so i can get back out.

Actualy Vic is a good a place to catch Jewies as any where. The Barwon River is one of the meccas of Jewy fishing. A live baited mullet in the Barwon river can yeild some monsters. Beach fishing along many of the Western Victorian beaches ( like Aire River, around Geelong, Glenelg River etc) can result in a hook up.
Often very slow going, many trips for no result in the cold of winter but if you hook up they put on one hell of a show.
Cheers Chris

View attachment 14298As I see it beer and beach fishing go hand in hand, so I thought I would start this new thread on your biggest or best catch.

Here is mine, caught a few months ago off the beach whilst holidaying at Crescent Head NSW

30kg / 66pound caught on 20pound mono line
My Dad and most of his family live at Crescent Head. I remember Pop catching a few jewies back in the old days off the beach.

That's a nice one.

Tony thats not a boat thats a charter!

damn i love squid.

Actualy Vic is a good a place to catch Jewies as any where. The Barwon River is one of the meccas of Jewy fishing. A live baited mullet in the Barwon river can yeild some monsters. Beach fishing along many of the Western Victorian beaches ( like Aire River, around Geelong, Glenelg River etc) can result in a hook up.
Often very slow going, many trips for no result in the cold of winter but if you hook up they put on one hell of a show.
Cheers Chris

Yer i know they can be caught in Vic just seems like too much hard work down here, im sure the reward would greatly outweigh the cold nights but i'd rather go for a crisp fresh morning fish, but hey thats just me.

Heard (read : read on fishnet) some were pulling jews in from around the docklands. Seen that pic of winga and his jew on fishnet? massive...

Still my favourite fish to catch by far are snapper or KGW. KGW have to be some of the best sportfish ever, they just pull and pull for their size.

Went down to Kilcunda few months ago for some salmon but didnt turn a rell all day.

Mako off Bermagui

makojump3.jpg

Nice catch mate, sure u would've had a awesome time feasting on that!

Tasty looking gonzo! When im over in SA next you taking me out?

Hey great idea for an off-topic thread! Something about fishing and beer that go so well together.

Here's one of my better efforts from a year or two back:

Cobia2.jpg

And a mackeral who won't be harrassing any baitschools anymore:

Cooran1.jpg

Is it the weekend yet?

hennospaniard.jpg

This is me with a spaniard I got a few years back off the Gold Coast. It went about 38kg, my wife weighs 40! Now I want to get one that is over 40.

andrewtealeaf.jpg

This is Andrewqld this Anzac weekend. We got onto a few different species of trevally this one is a tea leaf. That day we also got a small amberjack. As much as people poo poo the trevally when eaten fresh in a good beer batter they are not to be sneezed at.

I don't know how I missed this thread till now. Maybe you will be sorry I find it :D

Picture_152.jpg

Picture_123.jpg

COD.jpg

I'll find some more latter :rolleyes:

I mainly fish the Murray now. Catch plenty of yellas, silvers and undersize cod. Haven't caught a large cod yet, but been in the boat when one was caught. 1m+ cod. Magic fish, too special to keep.

I keep a shrimp and yabby tank for bait.

Fished a lot in westernport when I was a kid, lived at the hastings jetty and marina (when it was just built) on weekends, school holidays and when I snuck out at night.

We go to Port Vincent once a year and go crabbing and chasing KGW.

Fresh water fishing is the go. I live about 5 mins from the boat ramp.

I'll dig out some pics.

Hi, I fish from my kayak, just came back from 5 days fishing from it, caught heaps of surface fish [macks etc] and a few reef fish [cod etc] great fun being towed around on light gear.
I am on this Australian Kayak Forum forum, my user name is Lureme, have a look.

Hi, I fish from my kayak, just came back from 5 days fishing from it, caught heaps of surface fish [macks etc] and a few reef fish [cod etc] great fun being towed around on light gear.
I am on this Australian Kayak Forum forum, my user name is Lureme, have a look.

Link was sus( old 404 error)..too much info. dont know if Ive fixed it

interesting hobby though.....never thought about fishing from a kayak

Latest posts

Back