My new budget Grainfather-esque setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a grain bag with this setup I got the mesh steel from http://www.geordi.com.au/ it was only thirty bucks cut to size and all, but just make sure you ask to see there off cuts they have all sorts of shapes and sizes a lot cheaper than buying a hole sheet.

I already have a sheet I got from Rs online. I like the idea of the wire/rod to hold it up. Is it 2mm? I am in the west so I will have to shop around for that or I could just get a bit thicker and drill a bigger hole.

nosco said:
Im thinking of using the same mesh as thebigwilk. Do you think it would work with a motorised mash stirer or would too much grain fall through?
Motorised mash stirrer ?
Now you have my attention pics and description please.

Ive got nothong yet. Since i now have a motor from a bread maker for my mill i have a spare electric go cart motor. I also have an aluminum (i hope its just aluminum ) 30cm fan blade, some 10mm ss rod and a spider coupler and a rough idea that may or may not work. If i get it started ill make a thread.

Well i managed to pick up a cheap 38L pot off eBay, cheaper than 2x19L BigW pots :)

Started modifying it today for the malt pipe:
20150726-215945-iPhone.JPG

Hi Takai,

I am thinking about getting one of those 56L pots, (I am nowhere near you so wouldn't have been able to get the one you sold anyway).

Considering you are using one to make a recirculating system, is it safe to assume you are happy enough with the build quality? And do you reckon you would be able to do double batches in it?

Have you used the handles with the pot full?

I am BIAB for now, but may well end up following your lead with the malt pipe....

Cheers, Matt

They are reasonable quality, bit thinner than a lot of other pots, but still quite reasonable. Also means they are excellent for prototyping.

However I havent used the handles with it full, lifting 60kg of boiling liquid isnt my idea of fun. The handles are there to get the empty pots with all the other gear nested inside of them up and down the stairs.

Yep fair call... that's alot of burning potential. I did my first mash last night using a Big W pot, and removed the pot from the stove so I didn't scorch the doona that I threw over it. I guess I will have to figure out another way to not burn my insulation.....

I've got the same pot. I couldn't lift if full. I can get a double batch biab. I just go a big grain bill and then top up before boil. Nothing high gravity though.

Fuckin sweet... I just ordered one anyways :) now I've gotta get a burner.... but there are plenty of threads on that already...

Yeah I did think bout that.... but being limited to a 10 Amp circuit is well... limiting!

Okay just bought a 38L pot from Evilbay, time to make a proper malt pipe.

Had the briefest of moments to impulse buy the 82L to replace my current pot.

Matplat said:
Yeah I did think bout that.... but being limited to a 10 Amp circuit is well... limiting!
I just use the keg king element. Steps are quick enough for me. Whack the lid on and gets up to boil in about 1/2hr. It's just so easy though.

Is that just the 2200W element for $40?

Finally got around to working on this again.
Built the control box:
20150808-194337-iPhone_002.JPG

Installed element and hardware:
20150808-194338-iPhone.JPG

Now currently repassivating and leak testing:
20150808-195115-iPhone.JPG

Where did you get the element adaptor from? I can only find em in the us

Latest posts

Back