My new budget Grainfather-esque setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
takai said:
The main thing im considering changing is the mash recirculation feed, as i wonder if it could be optimised so that it spreads the wort out over the grain bed better.
Im not sure that would really matter.
If you are doing a full volume mash, there should be wort above the grain, so its as distributed as its going to be.
The 'fresh' wort will partially mix with the wort sitting above the grain, and filter through evenly.

At least this is my theory, I have much the same setup as you, just bigger (82/56L)

Yeah, that is my current thought too. Im going to put a camlock on it for better cleaning ability anyway so ill experiment with other wort delivery methods as part of that.

Finally got around to modifying the return:
14249910_10154324336210944_8144272543491126082_o.jpg

Put a camlock on the inner skin of the malt pipe, predominantly to aid in cleaning, and then made a new recirculation arm. Time to see whether hot side wort aeration is a thing...

Slight update. Moved house, so a bit more room and no need to lug it up and down the stairs now. So i built a brew stand and a new controller for it:
20170506-225424-iPhone.JPG

Still fundamentally the same, still pumping out large quantities of beer :)

Latest posts

Back