My new budget Grainfather-esque setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takai

Reaction score
Been piecing stuff together for a little while now to go recirculation on my BIAB setup. Things accelerated a little bit last week when i was able to pick up some of those cheap 56L pots at a good price. Ultimately ill probably discard that pot for a nicer MegaPot or similar from the US when i head over in November. But until then this will get me going for now.

Ill be making two of these at the same time as a mate is after one as well.

Take one 56L pot:
20150715-171638-iPhone.JPG

With a 19L BigW pot for comparison:
20150715-171635-iPhone.JPG

19L pot will become the basis for the malt pipe.

With two 4500W Camco elements:
20150715-171634-iPhone.JPG

Planning on doing a two point recirculation. Just waiting for the last few bits to arrive for that.

How do you control temp for mashing mate? Keen to see how you go when it's all planned out.

Im thinking along those lines too takai. Im a while off yet but ill be keen to see how you set up the malt pipe. Im also thinking of doing a cheap herms.

slcmorro said:
How do you control temp for mashing mate? Keen to see how you go when it's all planned out.
Will be controlled with a PID and RTD same as my current BIAB urn. Building a new control unit for it as well, just making it a bit neater than the last one.

Cervantes said:
Could you tell us where you got the pots?
Pots were from a seller in Brunswick, although i may have one for sale soon. Since posting that my mate saw the pic and almost had a heart attack on the size and is having cold feet :S

Mr B said:
Just reassure your mate than all too soon it will be too small..........
Ill let him deal with the WAF... I'm not going there. Very glad that my wife is very understanding and i have lots of bigger items that take up more $$$ and space to worry about ;)

takai said:
Take one 56L pot:

With two 4500W Camco elements:
9000W in a 56L pot is ridiculous over kill mate! half that would be over kill, 2400w will easily bring a single batch (23-30L) to the boil, 3600w will do it right smart and you'll need to back off for boil. 9000W is good for 1BBL (120L)

ED: I'm unsure of your knowledge regarding power, but you need to be aware each of those elements draws 23 amps, a standard out let in Australia is rated to 10 amps, trade use 15amps for some tools but not regularly found in a house. The 46 amps you want to pull would require a dedicated circuit/s and would cost more than the some total of your build to date. If the circuits are already available go for it!

MastersBrewery said:
9000W in a 56L pot is ridiculous over kill mate! half that would be over kill, 2400w will easily bring a single batch (23-30L) to the boil, 3600w will do it right smart and you'll need to back off for boil. 9000W is good for 1BBL (120L)
Ah i meant one for each pot not two per pot.... i see the confusion though.

Planning on using the 4500w dialled back to 2400w for domestic usage with an SSV-R. Should yield even lower watt density over the element, and makes for very cheap element replacements.

cool cool, wanna taste your beer before ya get killed playin with high powered wires is all ;)

I have the same 56l pot with a keg king 2200 element. Gets the boil up ok but could do with a bit more. I'm thinking about replacing my bag with a modified 38l pot. You think 19l will do for malt pipe?

Fylp said:
I have the same 56l pot with a keg king 2200 element. Gets the boil up ok but could do with a bit more. I'm thinking about replacing my bag with a modified 38l pot. You think 19l will do for malt pipe?
There are calculators on site for working out Malt Pipe size (it's a lil late a few to many brews later to go searching but pm me and I can sort you out) my brauclone uses a 32L MP and best fluidisation levels are around the 8kg of grain. I have done 10+kg but the mash is decidedly thicker and efficiency plummets. 38L would give you some big singles. 19L will just do a standard single I have a spare Big W pot if you want to try it out.

MB

Im planning on effectively a 38L malt pipe, two 19L pots welded together at this stage, although given the price of some cheap 36L pots on eBay i could be persuaded to go off the shelf.

Scratch that, making one setup now. My mate, ever the master tactician, 'freaked out' over the size and so convinced his wife to let him get a GF for better WAF.

I found it was easier to buy a stainless steel ( chinese pot ) for about $120 ... 32 litres from memory had some feet welded to pot to keep off the element

I will follow this build to see how you go .... best of luck

GalBrew said:
Isn't the Grainfather itself a budget setup?
Not as budget as it could be. When a mate was blathering on about how expensive brewing is i mudmapped a full recirculation unit for under $100.
Two plastic buckets, some stainless bolts, eBay hardware, kettle element an a LBP.

Latest posts

Back