Moving to Australia - no taxes on homebrew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Aussie voltage is 230v 50 Hz, as opposed to USA with 120v 60 Hz. so you'd have a hard time getting a lot of things to run.

Funny, I always thought we were 240v - but I grew up in the UK.
My March pump I got off an auction site for $30 ran like a champ though, even on a transformer. It is retired now, sitting in a cupboard gathering dust.

tiprya said:
In terms of other ingredients, you shouldnt have any problems, unles syou want US malt - we don't get much of that, but lots of UK/German (and local) stuff.
Um... Full pint stocks 10 varieties of Briess malts, I'm pretty sure US malt isn't that hard to come by...

Bribie G said:
Aussie voltage is 230v 50 Hz, as opposed to USA with 120v 60 Hz. so you'd have a hard time getting a lot of things to run.

Funny, I always thought we were 240v - but I grew up in the UK.
We where 240 once measured years ago and was 250 v .

How are you planning on shipping the 30gal of sour beer? in a barrel? or bottling it first?

Shipping it in 6 X 5gal (20liter) kegs. I also have tons of sour beer in bottles, but we'll see if I can bring them...

you "might" get away with the full kegs I would check with the shipper

they are likely to say NO as the issue is if you get a leak and beer soaks everything there is going to be an insurance issue / claim

I have shipped homebrew across Australia in bottles in many house moves QLD->WA->VIC->NSW->QLD
it was in plastic crates that would contain any leaks and then in boxes and movers knew to keep boxes upright in the shipping container etc

they did not want to ship it but once the actual packers saw it they were happy with the idea
head office people on the phone were like NO from the start.....

the insurance risk was the issue for them...

Welcome

[SIZE=10.5pt]I’ll caveat the following by saying that I haven’t brought homebrew into Australia, but did ask a heap of questions of Customs last year before deciding not to bother (had hit our limit with a couple of interesting commercial brews & scotch so was forced to drink the homebrew).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Duty free limits should apply to homebrewed beer brought into the country in accompanied baggage (2.25 litres of alcohol per person over 18 years of age). Duty is imposed on everything if you exceed the limit. Unaccompanied baggage does not qualify for duty free allowances. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If you ask, Australian Customs may tell you that the duty free concession only applies to store bought beer, but they then don't seem to be able to answer why that is the case (at least I didn’t get an answer). Might be an idea to bottle it and add labels as they only seem to glance at the bottles, if they look at all. Just don't try to go over the limit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Airlines can be a right PITA on taking homebrew on International flights and you need to be within your weight restrictions, so it’s a decent idea to check with them in advance rather than rock up and be refused. It can't go in hand luggage, but boxed and bubble wrapped should be fine (took 4 cases of long necks to the UK last time we went without issue; they have a sensible 16L of beer per adult duty free limit).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Make any airport you travel through on your way to your final destination can screen liquids in your baggage or they might remove it. [/SIZE]

Yeah, I'm not planning on bringing 240 liters of beer via plane. I'll put the kegs in in a shipping container with all of our household stuff.... so this would be unaccompanied goods.

Welcome to the forum.

You'll love the Far North if you're into a tropical lifestyle. There's a growing community of brewers up there with an active home brew club.

Supplies won't be hard, the fishing is excellent and the lifestyle relaxed. an hr north is the start of some magnificent rainforest areas and 30 minutes to the south is, well, not much really. :ph34r:

Bit of info from the relevant departments:

Excise equivalent goods
Excise equivalent goods (EEGs) are imported alcohol, tobacco and fuel that, if produced or manufactured in Australia, would be subject to excise duty.
From 1 July 2010, responsibility for the administration of EEGs that are warehoused moved from Customs and Border Protection to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
There has been no change to legislation and the ATO has responsibility for the administration of EEGs under delegation from Customs and Border Protection.
A quick reference guide is available to help you work out which agency to contact in relation to EEGs. Refer to this link:
Taken from here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cwupaRgoSqkJ:www.customs.gov.au/site/ExciseEquivalentGoods.asp+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Based on that, you won't have to worry about paying excise on your home brewed beer.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the states and look forward to a new adventure down under.

Martin

Liam_snorkel said:
just try not to get eaten by a saltie or stung by one of these :ph34r:
Or even worse, one of these
XcTpoig.jpg

Never understood why people would be afraid of drop bears when we have funnel webs, mouse spiders, white tails, redbacks, great white shark, bull shark, hammerhead, grey nurse, sting ray, stonefish, cone fish, salt and fresh water crocs, blue ringed octopus, scorpion fish and Ivan Milat.

Mardoo said:
As one yank to another, you'll get your head around celsius once it hits 44 degrees at 70% humidity :blink:
Bahahahahahah

Brooa said:
Or even worse, one of these
XcTpoig.jpg
I think the Government where forced to act upon Dropbears.....Being a native species, all they can really do is to warn people of the dangers.

Makes them Black Bears in the US look like kittens

manticle said:
Never understood why people would be afraid of drop bears when we have funnel webs, mouse spiders, white tails, redbacks, great white shark, bull shark, hammerhead, grey nurse, sting ray, stonefish, cone fish, salt and fresh water crocs, blue ringed octopus, scorpion fish and Ivan Milat.
I'd go for all of them if it meant I could avoid the scariest of them all - Tony Abbott in a pair of budgie smugglers.

manticle said:
You might want to watch this documentary before heading away from any major cities

wolfcreek.jpg

manticle said:
FFS, stop scaring the shit out of people who want to move here.
Ivan Milat is locked up,
hirschb, it's safe here now,all the other things Manticle mentioned are just an annoyance......so long as you stay out of their way :)

hirschb said:
Yeah, I'm not planning on bringing 240 liters of beer via plane. I'll put the kegs in in a shipping container with all of our household stuff.... so this would be unaccompanied goods.
Umm, you spell liters we spell it litres.
......gas is petrol,in cars.
A tinny is both a can of beer and a dinghy ( both are made from aluminium ) not tin.
So grab some tinnies chuck em in the Esky ( picnic cooler) then bung that in the tinny and we'll piss off fishing..........;)

Back