Hi - homebrewer moving to Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akx

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name's Alex. I'm moving to Sydney later this year from the USA (job relocation + wife's family are there + lived in Sydney in 2008-2009). So very exciting!

I've been brewing with a friend making all-grain batches. We've been splitting 38 liter batches, and I plan to step down to 19 liter batches when I get to Sydney (still trying to get my head around metric units here). I've got about 8 batches under my belt ranging from 4% grapefruit hef and session IPAs up to 9% belgian strongs.

I'm trying to sort out what equipment to bring, and what to purchase here vs purchase in Sydney. Since I've been splitting batches I'm missing some pieces. I'd love to hear thoughts from local homebrewers.

Bring:
Kettle, 38L Igloo cooler mashtun, 28L conical fermenter, propane burner, 2 pinlocks keg (19L and 4.7L), and all the little bits (2L flask, funnels, capper, tubing, hydrometer, airlocks, etc).

Still need:
wort chiller, hot liquor tank (I've been using round cooler type here)

Questionable:
glass carboys 19L and 24L (seems like I should leave them here, and get a carboy in Sydney if I need it)
I assume all my chemicals (gypsum, calcium chloride, etc) need to be left behind

Looking forward to making some good brews down under

Hey mate, everything is cheaper in the US. Try buying something from amazon and get it here cheap, you'll end up paying 4x the price to get it here. It sucks.

Buy your chiller and HLT there maybe, but it can all be bought here easy enough and there are many different options for a HLT, esky's are cheap.

Leave the glass fermenters in the USA and the 18th century where they belong. Plastic or stainless is the go. Also look into no chill, less gear and quicker brew day without wasting water.

Hi Alex,

Just be aware that we have different gas fittings here, so your propane burner will have to be modified or completely replace the hose/connector to suit our gas bottles.

As noted above, glass isn't very popular for fermenters over here. Most folks use plastic or stainless.

The chemicals should be fine, as they're not dangerous, but supplies can be found pretty cheaply over here if you decide to leave them behind.

Hi Alex - good to see you getting up to speed on metric as we gave up pounds, gallons, miles, roods and furlongs back in the 1970s although due to some imported equipment we still get a few hold-outs using PSI with regulators etc.

(Small tweak: litres, metres, kilometres).

Domestic malts are excellent - similar to your two row - and even though we are at the bottom of the planet we have ready access to Euro and UK grains such as Maris Otter and Weyermann malts for little extra cost.

You'll also be pleased with our new varieties of hops here including Galaxy of course. Sydney is excellent for home brew supplies, craft beer and brew clubs.

Remember to drive on the left, when you make friends here if they call you a C''nt it's a sign of endearment. You don't have to address police officers as "sir" and if visiting the numerous national parks, always remember to wear a hat to deter attacks from the drop bears.

Depends on the shipping method and the costs you're paying, I suppose.

Everything you need can be bought here, some things can be more expensive but Sydney certainly isn't some remote backwater.

Australia is the world's largest malting-grade barley exporter so plenty of that to go around. Just a shame we have less-than-world-class domestic maltsters.

Thanks all on the feedback. I had been wondering about the propane fitting... I may buy an adapter before I ship out. I googled 'no chill' - very interesting! We're just coming out of drought in California, so we always try to dump cooling water in the garden (lots of running around with buckets) but it does take a good 150L or so for our 38L batch. I'll have to learn more a out it and see how it works.

I'm definitely excited to find local ingredients. We typically brew with US malts and hops because they're just as good (just different) than European ones.

And drop bears!! I remember them from last time I moved to Sydney. Haha thanks guys.

It's not just the metric system you'll have to grapple with, but also spelling....Litre for example. Don't worry though, we don't send people to gaol or anything for not spelling correctly . Seriously, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy Sydney and the Aussie HB scene .

klangers said:
Australia is the world's largest malting-grade barley exporter so plenty of that to go around. Just a shame we have less-than-world-class domestic maltsters.
FWIW, I couldn't be any happier with Voyager and Gladfield malts. OK, Gladfield is from across the ditch, but at least it's antipodean.

Mardoo said:
FWIW, I couldn't be any happier with Voyager and Gladfield malts. OK, Gladfield is from across the ditch, but at least it's antipodean.
Yeah I was taking a swipe at JW and BB. I'm fully behind the little boutique maltsters.

+1 for Gladfield malts.

In terms of what to bring...

Leave behind anything that requires direct connection to mains power and isn't designed for 240V use or anything that uses gas. Even if you find gas fitting adaptors or step-down transformers, the entire system won't be compliant with Australian standards. That may not seem like an issue to you, but if there is ever any mishap and the insurance company twigs, you're screwed.

Given that you are planing on going to 19L batches, you should seriously consider buying something like a Grainfather or Robobrew when you get here. In particular, the 240V Grainfather should be a better experience than the US model, since the increased power rating gives improved boils.

Leave glass behind, but if you can get a good price on a stainless steel fermenter, bring that. If shipping costs are not a huge factor, you may want to bring a few spare corny kegs too. Ball lock is most popular here. Of course they are available locally too, if needed, but prices may not be as attractive.

No chill in cubes is the way to go. I'd probably save the money on chillers (Grainfather comes with one anyway) and put the coins towards a fermenting fridge.

If you're shipping all your gear in a container (or 1/2 container) bring it all.

When we moved OS for work, Mrs Wibble decided not to bring our huge kitchen pot because she hardly ever used it.
This meant I was pretty well stuffed when I first started brewing batches of ginger beer, and had to use 3x pots at a time.

I would be tempted to give your mineral salts to your friend.
They're not expensive, and easily obtainable, but how would they be classed on the cargo manifest?
- Food -> No!
- Chemical -> Please explain!
better than having your stuff delayed by a few days and a paper chase.

Thanks all,

Move date is next week! But we're shipping all the homebrew stuff which will take 10-12 weeks to arrive :confused:

I've traded my gas burner for an extra keg, so will be looking for one when we get there.

I was planning on taking my co2 but didn't think it through. Is it easy to refill there? Ok to ship if I depressurize and disassemble? How about my regulator?

Looking forward to new places, recipes and beers!

I couldn't get my 2.6 kg co2 bottle shipped from Melbourne to TAS (truck on a boat too - not even in the air) so I doubt it. Reg will be fine.

There are plenty of options for rental, purchase, refill and swap'n'go though so you'll be fine.

i am pretty sure (american co2) bottle and regulators have i different thread, so most place will not fill them plus no Australian compliance stamp on the bottle, i think you could take it and get a new valve and bottle check but they still might not do it as it is not australian standard stamp. some regulater you can buy new stems for( changed my harris from co2 to nitrogen)buy changing the stem

co2 bottles aren't so expensive that it's worth shipping them out and then potentially having nothing fit and/or having to re-comply them.

Don't faff about for a few dollars potentially.

I lease my bottle from BOC (British Oxygen Corporation) who have depots all over the country . Costs me about $4 a week which would buy you a coffee if you are lucky, and I lease a 10kg bottle that lasts just about forever. It's also handy because if you do want to move you can hand your bottle in then re-register at your new place, most removalists won't take gas on board so by the time you've packed your propane bottles etc in the car there's not much room for the mrs or the dog.

I just moved from US to Oz 1.5 years ago. Smart idea to ditch your old burner (retrofitting my Blichman burner here was a pain in the ass). You'll need to do the same for your CO2 and regulator.
Gladfield malts are awesome. I even get higher efficiency with them for some reason.
There are certain items that are hard to find here like particular fittings, airlocks, hopshots, narrow auto-siphons, oak spirals, etc... If there are particular items that you think you want to buy in the near future, browse some of the Oz home brew retailers and see what they have.
Last visit to the States I came back with a big box of liquid yeasts from East Coast Yeast, and The Yeast Bay, so if weird yeasts are your thing, you might want to plan ahead. You'll have no problem finding Wyeast and White Labs in Sydney, but many strains are not normally stocked in N QLD.
Also, keep in mind that the beer scene here is 10-15 years behind the States. Being a good homebrewer is helpful, as I can make better beer than most of the shelf turds for sale at Dan Murphy's.
And in addition to the drop bears, watch out for the Bunyips!

Thanks guys. We landed safely. Always fun flying 14h with a 13 month old.

Looking forward to getting our shipment so I can brew! I'll definitely be reading up in the other sections on local ingredients. I'm excited to find new malts and hops.

PS - was told CO2 bottle could not be shipped, so it was left. I did bring my regulator - we'll see if it can be converted.

If you need any motivation to brew head to your local and smash a few VBs then (after you finish throwing up) go to a quality bottle shop and cry at the prices of anything that's better than shit.

If that won't get you starting the next bulk buy, nothing will.

Back