Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so basically i can get a 22lt Ag recipe and sub about 2kg of the base malt with the ldm and leave the hops and spec malts the same?

Exactly.

I reckon the substitution is about 60% ... so if you take out 2kg of base malt, you need 1.2kg of LDME or 1.5kg of liquid. But that's a rough guess. I think there is spreadsheets/software that would have an accurate figure.

thanks cant wait to give this a try. Anyone know any good partial american amber and pale ale recipes?

thanks cant wait to give this a try. Anyone know any good partial american amber and pale ale recipes?

I know a good amber recipe!

Mash:
2kg ale base malt
300g Caramunich
30g Chocolate

Hops:
40g Willamette at 45 minutes
20g Willamette at 10 minutes

1.5L pale liquid malt extract at flameout

US05 yeast

I had some recent success with a pretty good Amber Ale that ended up going to Nationals in the Spec class.
Something like this

OG 1060 OG
100% BB Ale
10% Special B
mash at 65C

Chinook @ 60 24 IBU
Cascade and Amarillo @ 30 20 IBU

Cascade @ 10 2g\L
Amarillo @ 10 2g\L
Dry hop 2g\L Amarillo

US 05 @18C

Full size recipe here

I would rather use natural fabric then synthetic.

I'd say less crap will come out of polyester than cotton. If you picked and spun the cotton yourself then you'd know it wasn't full of herbicide, pesticide, bleach, contaminants etc. Otherwise you're better off using something synthetic because although it's made from chemicals, it's inert. PE is also a very simple chemical - more simple than the chemicals that make up cotton.

Natural is not always safe. The assumption that it is can be false. There are a million natural chemicals that will kill you in 30 minutes.

But give it a go and report back if it works. Try to find organically grown, non-treated cotton though - from a western country where they don't lie about its origin.

all I know about this Butter muslin is that it is made to be used for making cheese at home, I thought it would be safe in that case.. prehaps I was wrong..

Its not easy to get swiss voile, and I saw that muslin on one of the sponsored sites. the only other thing the have is a BIAB bag for 100Ltr and only have the equipment and ability to make a small batch like your 9Ltr recipe.

Cheers

Cb sell grain bags for seven bucks, not the you beaut one for 25. The seven dollar take a few kg of grain easily.

all I know about this Butter muslin is that it is made to be used for making cheese at home, I thought it would be safe in that case.. prehaps I was wrong..

Its not easy to get swiss voile, and I saw that muslin on one of the sponsored sites. the only other thing the have is a BIAB bag for 100Ltr and only have the equipment and ability to make a small batch like your 9Ltr recipe.

Cheers

Its easy to get swiss voile...spotlight do online, mail and phone ordering. Swiss Voile White - PLU: 1200206 Key No:17

http://www.spotlight.com.au/shop-at-home/faqs

Yeah, this thread has been going around for ages.

Why would you use a "muslim bag" when you could simply drill a hole and put some fittings in the pot?

I say pussy whipped original poster.

cheers

TND

Shut up about your silly girlie braid. whatever braid is supposed to be, or what possible use.

Latest posts

Back