Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Ya, fair enough. I know the regular posters know his gig but I can see newbies getting railroaded by the bs posts he puts in this thread. I don't think that is fair.

Lol. Ya, fair enough. I know the regular posters know his gig but I can see newbies getting railroaded by the bs posts he puts in this thread. I don't think that is fair.

This thread seems to be a bit like a Zombie wearing kevlar and driving a tank. Not sure anything can kill it.

When I see it bumped again I take a deep breath and prepare for the PMs. :D

I got a weird/stupid question.. this is hypothetical and probably not related to BIAB, but...

just say I did everything all the steps, minus the Bag, and let the whole lot cool right down, then poured it through an old (sterilised) pillow slip and squeezed it out.. would this work?? or pour it through some other type of strainer.. (just thinking is all)

the bags just there to make moving the grain easier, right?

please dont killme for thinking.... :(

I got a weird/stupid question.. this is hypothetical and probably not related to BIAB, but...

just say I did everything all the steps, minus the Bag, and let the whole lot cool right down, then poured it through an old (sterilised) pillow slip and squeezed it out.. would this work?? or pour it through some other type of strainer.. (just thinking is all)

the bags just there to make moving the grain easier, right?

please dont killme for thinking.... :(

You could do that - but then you'd have to clean the pot before transfering the wort back into it for the boil. It would be messy and an extra step.

If you are squeezing but not rinsing the grain (sparging) - then you can simply lift the grain bag out, put a rack on the pot rim, put a container with some holes in it (collander etc), plonk the grain bag in, and walk off for a while while it drains.

That's what's irritating me about this choad.

Deliberate derailing of probably the most informative thread on this forum - and not good derailing (like boobies or funny pics), for no other reason than one-eyed arrogance.

You can guarantee this is the type of person that doesnt' like to share knowledge in the sense of actually sharing it, only to give enough out to confuse people and justify his pathetic existence. Of all his attempts at being informative, none have actually contained information written in such a manner that someone will read it and go "aha, I get that". It's just crap.

This thread got me onto AG brewing, as it has many.

The irony being, is whilst this idiot wants to sing about doing things "his" way - most people that start off BIAB, often do pick up a drill, whack some copper manifold in an esky and head down the 2V or 3V road.

BIAB - for some - is the gate that opens to that road, and no-one should be aloud to spread FUD and derail this. For some, it's a simple, cost effective manner to make beer - after all, it costs less for a couple metres of swiss voile, than for a new drill, and cracked grain from a retailer (mine anyway) isn't any more expensive - it's only bulk buy grain that's cheaper. I think paying $3.50 for my base malt - cracked - without having to store 25kg of it is a fair price and t_n_d can go tie a reef knot around his own neck if he don't like it.

I'm very possessive of this thread - out of gratitude for what it got me started doing and on behalf of those newbies yet to come - to whom I want to get this information and do well.

Goomba

If you mean active threads then you may have a point, otherwise, this is absolute tosh.

I'll pay that one.

The first 10 pages or so were very informative - based on that I made that comment.

Based on the next million posts, probably not.

I've pointed newbs on this forum to it and they "got it". I've pointed mates to it and they "got it".

Sure, it doesn't deal with the intricacies of brewing (hell, I still had to research the effect of hop additions, i didn't follow the recipe in question, had to find out how to whirlpool to limit hot break in the fermenter) - granted, but in terms of "get yourself this stuff, do it, and then the theory will make more sense" - it's a great thread.

I'm not strictly BIAB now - but I wouldn't still be brewing if not for this thread - craft beer would have ruined my palate for home brew (whereas, now it's the other way around :D )

Goomba

If I'm galactically drunk while brewing, sometimes I use this thread to remember how to do it. :D

EDIT: I mashed in a couple of brews ago without the bag. About a year ago I was doing a 15 minute APA ... stuck the HUGE whack of hops in at the start of the boil.

If I had more vessels I'd have twice as many ways to burn myself.

I know what you meant Raja. This thread is probably the most important on the website. The most helpful and the one that will get the most people brewing in a better way.

I think it upsets a 'scene' of brewers that are more focused towards $10,000 home breweries and brewing competitions and other elitist crap.

The good thing about darren is he is totally transparent, unlike some other people that will drop little hints about the good old days of wine and roses when there were better posters here that have now gone because they don't like having 'n00bz' around.

But the funny thing is that's bullshit. Bring back butters and the air lock threads of doom I say!

Sorry for shitting up a good thread Nick but I had to get that out.

After all this fun has been had I hope the mods delete the crap, so newbies actually read the whole thing. After the fun though, not before....

After all this fun has been had I hope the mods delete the crap, so newbies actually read the whole thing. After the fun though, not before....

I like the organic nature of threads. Worts and all.

Thread and let thread.

Informative for two reasons:

1: The original intent of the thread.

2: Dickhead spotting.

I'll admit I haven't actually read the whole thread, carry on...

"BIAB - for some - is the gate that opens to that road, and no-one should be aloud to spread FUD and derail this. " - Goomba

You know i was considering starting a poll (well i ain't sure how to): BIAB was my gateway to . . .

I also thought it would have been interesting to poll all members (say by adding the functionality in their personal info - can't see it currently) to see their primary method of brewing.

I made my first beer with a pot and a collander. Crushed my grain in a food processor.

As I had the saucepan and the collander, I made the transition for FREE.

tnd

Latest posts

Back