Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nick.

Im only hostile to those who attack me. Notably the majority of it comes from QLD

tnd

Be like the Ninja, Daz ... the Ninja only chooses a worthy opponent.

EDIT: wait! I just checked my address - I is from QLD!

Where's my Samurai and my funny crab-toe shoes...

G'day folks, my name is Steve and have been brewing kits and some with add ons for around five years now.

I've been looking around this place for a while and read this thread a few times. (the first few pages)

Ive got an old keg and some viole for a bag and will begin with some small BIAB brews on the stove top to get the hang of it before looking to make myself a keggle.

Cant say enough about this forum its great.

Cheers and happy brewing, Steve

While I get the gist of it,I haven't actually ever read the first post ! :p

I think the only post I have read on the first 30 pages was the first post :icon_cheers:

What a mission - I've just finished reading all 36-odd pages of this. Once my eyes stop bleeding I can't wait to get cracking on this. I've done a handful of Kits n bits, this thread has inspired me to try AG. Thanks Nick for the awesome guide, and to all the contributors.

I like the idea of 9-10L brews, it lets me learn quicker and I like variety. Once I get my temp-controlled fridge sorted, I'll move out of the cupboard under the stairs (which worked well in winter) and get me some AG happening.

:beer:

What a mission - I've just finished reading all 36-odd pages of this. Once my eyes stop bleeding I can't wait to get cracking on this. I've done a handful of Kits n bits, this thread has inspired me to try AG. Thanks Nick for the awesome guide, and to all the contributors.

I like the idea of 9-10L brews, it lets me learn quicker and I like variety. Once I get my temp-controlled fridge sorted, I'll move out of the cupboard under the stairs (which worked well in winter) and get me some AG happening.

:beer:

Temp control is very important in summer. Do a couple of AGs and then start looking into liquid yeasts.

@steve - welcome. It'll be the best thing you ever tried.

@King Nothing - temp control is the biggest key - especially if you are starting in summer. Otherwise it'll be nasty.

Goomba

Thanks Nick.

Im only hostile to those who attack me. Notably the majority of it comes from QLD

tnd

Even though my post is a little :icon_offtopic: I felt the need to share anyway.

I love you daz (in a man type of way (no-homo)) but as I'm from NSW this probably doesnt help much.

Daniel

Hey Nick

Nice guide. I've been reading and re-reading your steps on my flight path to doin this
stovetop AG. I have been steeping gains and doin the hop boil with my last few coopers kits
so I'm ready now.

I wanted to ask about using coopers (cpa) bottle yeast, I've done up a starter with
250ml wort and is foaming up nicely. Would you or others happen to know/recommend what
size I can step this upto next... would 400-500ml be ok to ferment this 9ltr batch size ??

Thank you

Andrew

Hey Nick

Nice guide. I've been reading and re-reading your steps on my flight path to doin this
stovetop AG. I have been steeping gains and doin the hop boil with my last few coopers kits
so I'm ready now.

I wanted to ask about using coopers (cpa) bottle yeast, I've done up a starter with
250ml wort and is foaming up nicely. Would you or others happen to know/recommend what
size I can step this upto next... would 400-500ml be ok to ferment this 9ltr batch size ??

Thank you

Andrew

9L batch, I would step it to 500ml then a liter, then pitch

Was wondering about what would work well to crush the grains, should I buy a coffee grinder like this one:
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/62298

Note: I've only brewed one batch of beer and not looking at spending $100s on a mill lol.

I to started out with this thread and went down the path of a coffee grinder. It didn't last the life of crushing my 1st brew. Ended up crushing with a rolling pin (Fark there's some good memories). I know it's worked for some but I don't think that the odds are in your favour from my experience. Just buy your grain from one of the site sponsors (I use Craftbrewer). They'll crush your grain to match your recipe and vac seal so went you dough in, open her up and your on your way. 2c

Greg

+1

Milling your own grain is only needed if you are buying 25kg sacks. If you are buying by the kg ... get it crushed for free.

That said - if you have a blender that crushes ice, it'll murder grain. But be prepared to wait longer (squeeze harder) for the bag to drain, and deal with doughball city.

Back