Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd attempt on the weekend.
Way, way, WAY better!

Much finer grind, and used Nick's sparging method from the 20l stovetop thread.
Started with 2.1kg of grain, used 14L of water which ended up about 10.5L, to get 1.055. Watered down to 1.048 when transferring to fermenter.

Had a play with Brewmate, couple of questions re water quantities and efficiencies and so on, will post a separate thread later tonight when I'm home and can take some screenshots.

nick, the photos in the start of this thread aint showing anymore,

this is a valuable resource and so to are the photos, any idea what happened ?

Working ok for me....are you using your mum's dial up connection again donburke?
:p

Working ok for me....are you using your mum's dial up connection again donburke?
:p

my mum aint got any internet where she is, but that might explain the little red crosses that were showing up

appears to be working fine now, sorry about the false alarm

Haven't heard from our guru of the stovetop for a while... hope he's ok :unsure:

Which guru? Nick posted yesterday.
RdeV is going great guns but is bunkering down for the Candoo storm :ph34r: and is concentrating on circlin' the wagons and keepin' that powder dry.

G'day folks, my name is Steve and have been brewing kits and some with add ons for around five years now.

I've been looking around this place for a while and read this thread a few times. (the first few pages)

Ive got an old keg and some viole for a bag and will begin with some small BIAB brews on the stove top to get the hang of it before looking to make myself a keggle.

Cant say enough about this forum its great.

Cheers and happy brewing, Steve

I am with you 100% mate..... drinking the first BIAB 19L Stove top jobbie and it rocks!!! Maybe I used too much grain cos it has a kick.

4.250kg Weyermann Ale Malt
250g BB Wheat Malt
25g POR, 5g Centennial, 5 Cascade all boiled for 60 min

CB Swiss Lager @ 12C

Stuffed up the water volumes a bit and ended up with about 18L in the keg. Couldn't get Swiss Voile so used a fine Muslin cloth.

Shits over kits and is very like a Heinekin with a very slight fruity twist.

Just do it.... pretty hard to stuff it up.....obviously.... lol

What to brew next???

Cheers, Peter

just worked out I have now done 34 brews using this stovetop technique.

Only had one shit batch where I tipped it out, that was purely my fault ..I over hopped it by heaps.
I couldn't be bothered drinking it.

Did DR Smurto's untold JSGA yesterday morning and had it on its way fermenting by 8.30pm last night.

cheers
again Nick thanks for the info.

just worked out I have now done 34 brews using this stovetop technique.

Only had one shit batch where I tipped it out, that was purely my fault ..I over hopped it by heaps.
I couldn't be bothered drinking it.

Did DR Smurto's untold JSGA yesterday morning and had it on its way fermenting by 8.30pm last night.

cheers
again Nick thanks for the info.

Beer blending may interest you: eg. "Long Trail Brewing" company section of BYO article
http://www.byo.com/component/resource/arti...s-from-the-pros

"...We also sometimes blend beers to temper some of the extreme characteristics in a beer, like bitterness or alcohol levels..."

Just wanted to say Thank You to you Nick JD.

As I am a newbie to Extract and AG I really enjoyed the post and comments :)

Bumping this thread because it deserves to be bumped.

I've been planning to do a BIAB for quite a while, I just need to buy a gas burner first from BeerBelly as my POS electric stovetop struggles to boil even 5 litres. Planning a 9L Coopers Pale Ale-esque recipe, are there any floating around?

NickJD and others,

Many thanks for this fantastic thread, and the '20L Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager' thread.

It's taken me about six months of perpetual reading and re-reading and confusion and doubt, but I finally gave in and had a crack yesterday with a 9L SMaSH (JWH Pilsener and SuperPride.)

Some things that went 'wrong' for me: got halfway through the mash, went looking for the hop sock that I thought i'd bought, turns out I hadn't. :/ Decided that i'd quickly rinse out the voile bag once the wort (or wait, is it liquor at that stage?? meh.) went back on the stove after the mash, worked a treat.

Was very surprised to find that, after the boil, I had 6.5L of 1070, and panicked, but then found your helpful "how much water shoudl I add to hit a particular gravity" formula [back on about page 28 of this thread...]

Doing a taste at different points of the boil was very educational (and delicious!!) - the progression from super-sweet to quite bitter was very interesting.

I've written down all the figures I think I'll need, how can I calculate my efficiency?

Thanks again for your awesome contribution. :D :beer:

just checked my photos, apparently i used Simpsons Golden Promise, and not JWH pilsener. I always get confused at the LHBS 0_o

[edit]: hokay, so acording to their website, simpsons golden promise has an LDK of 308. I hit 1.070 after boil (volume of 6.5L), which gives a 'total gravity' of 455, and the 'potential gravity' is 616, giving a post-boil efficiency of 73%. Is that right?

I had 11L pre-boil at 1.058, which would mean... uh oh. Over-unity pre-boil efficiency. What have I done wrong?

Bumping this thread because it deserves to be bumped.

I've been planning to do a BIAB for quite a while, I just need to buy a gas burner first from BeerBelly as my POS electric stovetop struggles to boil even 5 litres. Planning a 9L Coopers Pale Ale-esque recipe, are there any floating around?

Try this.

CPA
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 9.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.000
Total Hops (g): 12.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 6.0 (EBC): 11.8
Bitterness (IBU): 31.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.900 kg Pale Ale Malt (95%)
0.100 kg Caramalt (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 63C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with WLP009 - Australian Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've written down all the figures I think I'll need, how can I calculate my efficiency?

There's a few online efficiency calculators, or BeerSmith will sort it all out for you.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about this sort of thing unless it's something you want to know.

i dont think I have really tried to calculate efficiency since I started brewing a year ago

This thread is legendary. I'm going to go for it. I like the small batch size, and low risk.

NickJD - bloody legend.

Big W pot - check.
Esky - Check.
Bag - picking one up tomorrow with some grain.
Bloody helpful tutorial - check.

I'm sold.

You wait Pickaxe, you got no idea. Prepare to be amazed at what that gear can do. :beerbang:

Back