Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I whack on a layer of gladwrap.

IMG_0557.jpg

Cover the intake (the cooling pot will suck in) with a paper towel.

IMG_0558.jpg

And sit it on the concrete in the garage so it's heat gets drawn out. By tomorrow morning it'll be ambient (20C) and ready to be poured into a fermenter with some yeast.

I'll continue on then.

To conclude this part: we've made a carton of beer for $6 and it's taken a sum total of about 1 hour (watching and doing) and 2 hours watching recorded MotoGP (go Stoner).

Great work so far. Tell me about the coffee grinder, how long did it take you to whizz that quantity? Reason I ask is that the vast majority of brewers who buy monster mills or Margas etc are 3V brewers and need close control over the crack, but as you point out for BIAB we can go as fine as we like with the crush. I wonder if it could handle say 4K in a reasonable time, or maybe use a couple of grinders in parallel.

:icon_cheers:

Edit: sorry should have read the OP more closely. 10 minutes. = 20 for a 4k batch.

Now you've got me thinking.

Why not just chuck the pot in a sink with some cold water? Should cool it down pretty quickly if you change the water a couple times?

Now you've got me thinking.

I slip into grinding mode when I've got the grinder going - my technique is to use the lid as a scoop and scoop up about 3/4 full, pour it in and then pulse for about 7 seconds. By then it's flour.

Pretty quick considering. No good at all if you want it cracked - grinders make dust. BIAB and dust are like beer and pizza.

Why not just chuck the pot in a sink with some cold water? Should cool it down pretty quickly if you change the water a couple times?

Could do, for sure. But I'm a lazy bugger. And I've never had an infection or a DMS issue (disclaimer: I don't do lagers this way), so I'd rather just do a two part with me doing ZZZZZZZ in between.

EDIT: I did say I wasn't going to use "brewing words", so I'd better explain the "DMS" thing: A stinky stuff like boiling cabbage is made when you mash, and it's got rid of by boiling. It's made while you cool though, and if you cool slowly it can be a problem. I haven't tasted or smelled it in my beer - so I just don't care. This process works for ales.

I cool my pot in the sink with running water, I just adjust it so that water in = water out. It's pretty hard to get it to drop below 40 degrees or so though.

That said if you used ice in some way that could work.

I'm also intrigued with the coffee grinder option.

Great article Nick.

Its good to see!

I started with a blue plastic bucket with lots of holes drilled in it. It was horible. Pictures like yours will encourage more people by them seeing just how easy it can be.

I used to boil in a pot and put it in the laundry sink full of cold water. replace the water as it warms up a couple of times the bre brew will be ready to pitch within and hour or so.

cheers

Great article Nick.

Its good to see!

I started with a blue plastic bucket with lots of holes drilled in it. It was horible. Pictures like yours will encourage more people by them seeing just how easy it can be.

I used to boil in a pot and put it in the laundry sink full of cold water. replace the water as it warms up a couple of times the bre brew will be ready to pitch within and hour or so.

cheers

And now you have a brew rig with more taps than a plumbing shop, ahhhh progress

Bags rule :ph34r:

+1 for chucking it in the laundry tub... and I also have a whole heap of ice bricks they use to cart blood/body parts (heaps better than normal ice bricks!!!!)

Then we dump the bag of grain into a green bucket. You can use a blue one, but I strongly recommend a green one.
damn! ive got blue and red :( no wonder my beer turns out shit.

nice job nick!

Yeah, great job. And the no chill in the pot is so easy. :icon_chickcheers:

Will have to compare wort clarity to the kettle with ya one day :)

HERMS rule! :icon_cheers:

By the time it gets to the kettle, oh, its already there , sorry.

Anyway by then my glasses are all foggy and clarity isnt an issue :rolleyes:

Great guide. Im gunna send this link to a mate to check out who i've been encouraging to give BIAB a go

well this has been one of the best articles i have read on AHB without a doubt, it is a pleasant change to actually see someone that has actually got back to grass roots beer making, i love all the high tech gear a lot of the guys have but i am going to try this because this is what homebrewing should be, cheap and easy .with hopefully good results. well done and thanks for your time and effort here nick.
fergi

Thanks heaps Nick, as a novice brewer still playing with kits i found your guide invaluable. Good on ya!

Last brew I also used the laundry sink to cool and had a load of washing on as well. I used the spin off water to cool it and just lifted the lid when it was enough water, drained when warm then re added water. Needed hardly any from the tap.

Don't always agree with everything you say but I do relate to your DIY spirit and tendency to experiment and think laterally.

Nice work.

Back