Mountain Goat Steam Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience of MG stuff is that quality varies considerably.

In terms of local brewers I have to say that Two Brothers have them beat hands down for persistent quality of beer hitting the taps.

I wonder if I can make a reverse stout by, say, making a piss weak lager and squirting some black ink into it. :)

Chinamat said:
My experience of MG stuff is that quality varies considerably.

In terms of local brewers I have to say that Two Brothers have them beat hands down for persistent quality of beer hitting the taps.

I wonder if I can make a reverse stout by, say, making a piss weak lager and squirting some black ink into it. :)
2 Brothers... really?

I love Mountain Goat beers, but the Steam is my least favourite.

Love the IPA. Really like the Hightail and the seasonal Surefoot Stout is always a winner.

You all realise that they contract brew everything that is consumed outside their Richmond brewery. This is why the packaging changed about 18 months ago.

Awesome thread and awesome information from the horse's mouth. Props to all contributors.

Idzy

Edak said:
You all realise that they contract brew everything that is consumed outside their Richmond brewery. This is why the packaging changed about 18 months ago.
This is correct, I think rare breeds and kegs of limited release are from Richmond too

I like this one. A nice quaffer

Have to say though, It seems a direct copy of Little Creatures 'white rabbit white ale'. Which I possibly like even more. In saying that, it's probably quite a popular style with many others doing the same thing. Definite showcase of wheat malt and I'm suprised to see a total of just 12.5% used. Actually would have picked around 50%

I like this one. A nice quaffer

Have to say though, It seems a direct copy of Little Creatures 'white rabbit white ale'. Which I possibly like even more. In saying that, it's probably quite a popular style with many others doing the same thing. Definite showcase of wheat malt and I'm suprised to see a total of just 12.5% used. Actually would have picked around 50%

sorry the 2 beers are COMPLETELY different.

MG Steam ale is Organic Pils / Wheat using citra, centennial and cascade ( i think ) with Us05

White Rabbit White Ale is a belgian witbier using coriander, zest and grains of paradise.

Lol. Lucky I'm not like a beer judge or anything. I'd embarrass my ego quite badly. Hmmm, interesting to find this. It's been a long time since I actually had a white ale and just automatically put the two in the same category soon as I tasted the MG. That's 2x new beers I can brew now!

Has no one noticed that this beer is actually a CREAM ale and not a STEAM ale??

From BJCP style Guidelines 2015:

1C. Cream Ale. Overall Impression: A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American “lawnmower” beer. Easily drinkable and refreshing, with more character than typical American lagers.

19B. California Common (i.e. Steam ale) . Overall Impression: A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing rustic, traditional American hop characteristics
Style Comparison: Superficially similar to an American Amber Ale

Mind blown????

Has no one noticed that this beer is actually a CREAM ale and not a STEAM ale??

From BJCP style Guidelines 2015:

1C. Cream Ale. Overall Impression: A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American “lawnmower” beer. Easily drinkable and refreshing, with more character than typical American lagers.

19B. California Common (i.e. Steam ale) . Overall Impression: A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing rustic, traditional American hop characteristics
Style Comparison: Superficially similar to an American Amber Ale

Mind blown????
Nah, as soon as I tasted it I knew it wasn't a steam. It fatigues my palate with it's sweetness, can only have two before moving on to something else.

From memory @Coodgee they called it that becuase it was the first beer on the commercial brewing gear which was heated with steam. Its a excellent refreshing beverage and if placed under bjcp cream ale would be likely.

I thought it was a little in-joke because it was fermented cool with an ale yeast as opposed to warm with a lager yeast.
I say WAS because who the **** knows now.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a go at coming up with a recipe for their Crossbreed Back to the Brewer Double Steam Ale? I tried this last night and its not bad. Very hazy like an NEIPA.

https://www.goatbeer.com.au/beer/rare-breed-back-to-the-brewer-double-steam-ale/

Their website says

OTHER INGREDIENTS

Wyeast California Common yeast.
I cant find this yeast. It doesnt exist on the Wyeast website. Would they perhaps mean the California lager yeast 2112?

Its 7.2% so was going to use the recipe in this thread and just increase the grain bill accordingley. They use cascade and also use experimental hop HSA 35 which from what Ive read is similar to either Hallertau Mittlefruh or Northern Brewer so will use one of those.

Steam.jpg

Latest posts

Back