Mountain Goat Steam Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syl

Reaction score
Ok, had a good look on here and can only see very old threads so I hope I am not pissing anyone off with my lack of Google-Fu!

I am working to make a Steam Ale clone for SWMBO. She loves this stuff, I love Hightail and I have 200 litres of Amber/APA's already ;)

From their website, they have the following in it's blurb:

The Steam is a crisp, certified organic ale. We incorporate a slap of wheat malt in the grist make-up and ferment it cool. We use Cascade and Citra hops to give it a fresh, zippy finish. Great as the weather warms up. 4.5% ABV, 22BU’s.
Link

Now I am going to bump it to 28 as per the old recipe instructions I found years ago (it also used to say 28 IBU's on the Goat website!!!). So it is not exactly a clone.

I see that there was previously mention of Hallertau too, but that has been dropped of late as well. Purely left with a Citra/Cascade combo. The last thing was a galaxy dry hop, which seems quite dangerous, so I am going leaf and very late!

I am in the very early phases, just hoping anyone could shed some light? I emailed the brewery, but no response as of yet!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 75.10 l
Post Boil Volume: 67.60 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 60.00 l
Bottling Volume: 59.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 1 75.0 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 25.0 %

21.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 5.1 IBUs
21.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 11.0 IBUs

3.17 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.6 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

3.17 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 9 -
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

What do you guys think? Has anyone here made one previously and have some notes? I may have to buy a 6-er tonight and do some research!

I find that steam ale has a strong bready, biscuity malt flavour that I don't think would come from pilsner malt. I would try an ale malt instead. MO or GP perhaps? I am not entirely sure, could be a combo of ale and pils malts?

Had one at the Albion in Newcastle a couple of weekends ago, from what i recall very crisp very sharp, a fair amount of hop character but I wouldn't have picked it being dry hopped, just late/flameout/whirlpool?

Of course if you are a no-chill brewer like myself then dry hopping is a good compensator. I've also started experimenting with cube hopping at about 30-45 minutes after flameout and whirlpool when I'm transferring to my cube, trying to emulate the hops character of brews that are run through a heat exchanger etc... :unsure:

Also the Galaxy, I love it and use it a lot as late addition and dry hop in my own brews but didn't pick up on it in the Steam Ale... but I had a few under my belt already by that stage.... :chug:

Good beer, I wish you much success at providing SWMBO something that she approves of, and subsequently signs off on more brewery projects!!! :drinks:

I'd email the brewers. They might give you the recipe. They told me the full IPA recipe. Awesome brewery that support homebrewers

timmi9191 said:
Well I know for a fact they use US05. Want to at least keep that part! Also, why are people posting recipes in the hops section??!! Didn't think to look there!

pressure_tested said:
I'd email the brewers. They might give you the recipe. They told me the full IPA recipe. Awesome brewery that support homebrewers
Already have, waiting on a reply :)

BeerNess said:
Had one at the Albion in Newcastle a couple of weekends ago, from what i recall very crisp very sharp, a fair amount of hop character but I wouldn't have picked it being dry hopped, just late/flameout/whirlpool?

Of course if you are a no-chill brewer like myself then dry hopping is a good compensator. I've also started experimenting with cube hopping at about 30-45 minutes after flameout and whirlpool when I'm transferring to my cube, trying to emulate the hops character of brews that are run through a heat exchanger etc...

Also the Galaxy, I love it and use it a lot as late addition and dry hop in my own brews but didn't pick up on it in the Steam Ale... but I had a few under my belt already by that stage....

Good beer, I wish you much success at providing SWMBO something that she approves of, and subsequently signs off on more brewery projects!!!
I am no chill, so some light dry hop will be done! With the Galaxy I will be very gentle, I've had it ruin beers before. A handful of flowers per cube for a couple of days.

The SWMBO has been a champ of late, with the brewery now taking over a full room in the apartment: 200L of beer fermenting at the moment, 2 keg fridges, 1 ferment fridge, braumeister 50L, bookshelf of bottles/adjuncts and equipment! Half of the freezer is full of hops and the 15A is in the kitchen too :D

GalBrew said:
I find that steam ale has a strong bready, biscuity malt flavour that I don't think would come from pilsner malt. I would try an ale malt instead. MO or GP perhaps? I am not entirely sure, could be a combo of ale and pils malts?
I don't particularly get that strong malt at all? Previous incarnations I have seen flying around the net have always had 75/25 pils/wheat.

I find that it's not 'malty' in a sweet heavy sense. But has a biscuity thing that I don't get in any of my pils based beers. Maybe the organic malts they use taste a little different??

Any other feedback at all guys? I will knock this down on grand final eve (after the bulk buy !!!)

Spiesy said:
I don't get anything biscuity out of the malts myself... clean, dry and bitey...
Yes that's what I get, clean and quite dry so I will make sure I get it down as low as I can

I have had this countless times from the bottle and never been impressed.

Had it at the brewery and it was a very different beast, very enjoyable.

A delicate beer best served IMO.

I must admit I had some over the weekend and got no biscuity flavor out of the beer either. Very clean and mild malt palate.

Well Dave from Goat sent me the recipe, I don't know the ettiquette on this, whether I should post it or not. But I will definitely be dropping one down!

Post it, it means fuk all, he quite readily hands it out, if I had more grey matter or thought to write it down a few years ago it'd be posted already.. Send him a bottle of your version and in sure he'd appreciate it, you nay even get feedback

Latest posts

Back