Mountain Goat Steam Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would definately like a look at the IPA

IPA

BB Ale 76%
BB Wheat 16%
Simpson Pale Crystal 8%

Mash at 66˚C, 2.5g CaSO4 p/litre/liquor in Mash.
Sparge at 75˚C
Target 65BU
Pride of Ringwood at boil – 60mins.
1 g/l Cascade into Whirlpool - note utilisation on whirlpool will add further bitterness.
Starting Gravity – 14.5˚P
Terminal – 3.2˚P
Ferment at 21˚C, using Fermentis US-05.
6.2%abv.
4.3/4pH.
Dry Hop during ferment – at 4˚P, 21˚C – 2.0g/l Cascade (US) and 2g/l Galaxy.
Dry, pellet hops into the top manway after yeasting off.
Chill, filter bright.

Wow, I can't see the whirlpool at 1g/l adding a lot of IBU, remarkable that maybe 75% of the IBU from that beer come from POR...

I would have assumed the reason for that was cost, but then they're banging in a combined 4g/l dry hop of cascade and galaxy...

Would not have picked that at all.

I sent him mine for feedback, and here's the reply:

Nice looking recipe!

Here's what we do:

Organic Pilsener Malt - 87.5%
Organic Wheat Malt - 12.5%

No hops in the kettle.

60 min boil.

OG 1.044
FG 1.010

Approx 2-3 grams/litre of beer in Galaxy, Citra & Motueka hops - depending on alpha acids and oil contents - in the whirlpool.

Dry hop depending on flavour/aroma post fermentation - at least 2g/l depending on oil content and your dry hopping methods.

We aim for 22BU.

Neutral ale yeast.

Don't filter.

Bottle.

Drink!

Lemme know how it goes...

Cheers,

Dave Bonighton

The fact that they take the time to reply in detail and openly offer their recipes and processes gets a big thumbs up.
I agree, Dave is incredibly generous when it comes to information regarding MG recipes. There should be a thread 'From The Goats Mouth' where everyone puts the info they've received into the one thread. I have info on the Rapunzel recipe, it would be great to combine that with their standards and a few other rare/cross breeds, I know I've seen the info on their Double Hightail floating around here somewhere.

Definitely. They are my favourite brewery because of this. When I pay for beer it is nearly always Mountain Goat. Unless it's some micro stuff that I want to try.

Also another thing of note is that their beer recipes are living things, the steam ale recipe has evolved over the years.

stakka82 said:
Wow, I can't see the whirlpool at 1g/l adding a lot of IBU, remarkable that maybe 75% of the IBU from that beer come from POR...

I would have assumed the reason for that was cost, but then they're banging in a combined 4g/l dry hop of cascade and galaxy...

When I made it (I am a major all grain rookie) the flavour was pretty good and I dropped the POR bittering to 50. Definitely could have used more bitterness but I didn't want to be too risky what with my lack of skills. All of the flavour was cascade and galaxy and that delicious malt bill

Thanks for that. Doesn't seem a lot of hops in the boil for the IPA. I'll give it a go for sure.

stakka82 said:

Just a noob here, but I've heard that hop utilisation is much higher for larger volumes. So, the recipe may need to be adjusted for homebrew volumes.

Just a thought

pressure_tested said:
IPA

BB Ale 76%
BB Wheat 16%
Simpson Pale Crystal 8%

Mash at 66˚C, 2.5g CaSO4 p/litre/liquor in Mash.
Sparge at 75˚C
Target 65BU
Pride of Ringwood at boil – 60mins.
1 g/l Cascade into Whirlpool - note utilisation on whirlpool will add further bitterness.
Starting Gravity – 14.5˚P
Terminal – 3.2˚P
Ferment at 21˚C, using Fermentis US-05.
6.2%abv.
4.3/4pH.
Dry Hop during ferment – at 4˚P, 21˚C – 2.0g/l Cascade (US) and 2g/l Galaxy.
Dry, pellet hops into the top manway after yeasting off.
Chill, filter bright.
Can I just clarify, this is the recipe for MG IPA ?

I have had this beer and recently too, it doesnt taste like POR nor Cascade, its definatley has Galaxy and Citra, exactly what the package and website says....Im confussed??

Pratty1 said:
Can I just clarify, this is the recipe for MG IPA ?

I have had this beer and recently too, it doesnt taste like POR nor Cascade, its definatley has Galaxy and Citra, exactly what the package and website says....Im confussed??
It does say dry hop with Galaxy.
Recipes change over time, might have been the current recipe at the time.

You won't taste POR. Why would you?

He sent me that recipe less than 2 months ago

The citra thing I can't explain unless they haven't updated the website and you've got old bottles?

Brewed it yesterday, used a 15 min addition of Galaxy flowers as well and dryhopping with galaxy and cascade.

Looking forward to it.

So do you interpret that there are two dry hop additions. One during ferment and one after ferment?

I just did one addition after ferment and I wanted more aroma. I made two mistakes with that one addition though. Didn't convert pellets to flowers (I used flowers so should have upped the amounts) and I also couldn't find anything to sink the hop bag at the time. (I brew at a mates house in the basement and no one was home)

In an issue of Beer & Brewer last year they had a recipe for Mountain Goat Steam Ale. I love that beer and took down the recipe, I think Dave was in the issue and put the recipe together.

30L

6.5kg Pilsner Malt
1.0kg Wheat Malt
Mash @ 65 for 60mins
Sparge - how ever you like
25g Pride of Ringwood @ 60mins
33g Cascade 0min
33 Citra - 0min

Ferment @ 18 using US05

Im going to give this a go soon.

Now I'm confussed.
Firstly, I dont know who talking about the Steam or the IPA.
And now we have 2 steam recipes with complete different views as far as hopping shedules and ways to achieve IBU's.

Yes. Bugger the talk about the IPA off in to another thread.

Steam ale receipe posted by my and alternative version by Tex083.

To clear it up for all.

Mountain Goat Steam Ale Recipes

#1 - From mountain goat founder 9/13:

Here's what we do:

Organic Pilsener Malt - 87.5%
Organic Wheat Malt - 12.5%

No hops in the kettle.

60 min boil.

OG 1.044
FG 1.010

Approx 2-3 grams/litre of beer in Galaxy, Citra & Motueka hops - depending on alpha acids and oil contents - in the whirlpool.

Dry hop depending on flavour/aroma post fermentation - at least 2g/l depending on oil content and your dry hopping methods.

We aim for 22BU.

Neutral ale yeast.

Don't filter.

Bottle.

Drink!

Lemme know how it goes...

Cheers,

Dave Bonighton

#2 - From Beer and Brewer 2012
nb - adjusted to be scalable

86.5% Pilsner Malt
13.5% Wheat Malt

Mash @ 65 for 60mins
Sparge - how ever you like

.8g/L Pride of Ringwood @ 60mins
1.1g/L Cascade 0min
1.1g/L Citra - 0min

Ferment @ 18 using US05

My comments:
Not that far off each other really. But if you did 1g/L of Citra, Motueka, Galaxy in Whirlpool would achieve around 22 IBU as they are high AA.

All Mountain Goat recipes are living things, the Steam Ale used to be 28 IBU and use Cascade instead of Motueka IIRC.

Latest posts

Back