Mountain Goat Steam Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad I found this after chatting with you about it today. will be brewing this soon...as i no chill,im thinking of just cube hopping, rather than adding hops in the whirlpool.

I no chill. I did whirlpool today.

Hit every mark and I am drinking a steam ale now tastes exactly as my house smells.

I had flame out, waited 10 minutes, hops in and hop stand for 15 cubed and in to the pool. Will report back!

Hit every mark and I am drinking a steam ale now tastes exactly as my house smells.

I had flame out, waited 10 minutes, hops in and hop stand for 15 cubed and in to the pool. Will report back!

Hey sly
How did you work out the hops required to give you 28ibu ?
So this has no kettle hops at all??
Also what was the 10 minute wait after flame out for ?
Cheers tate

tateg said:
Hey sly
How did you work out the hops required to give you 28ibu ?
So this has no kettle hops at all??
Also what was the 10 minute wait after flame out for ?
Cheers tate
I ended up going for 22.5 IBU's.

There are no kettle hops at all so the hops were all added in the whirlpool (or hop-stand). Where shortly after flameout they are added and whirled and left to sit around 95-90degrees. As Isomerization continues until about 80degrees you need to factor in some bitterness being created.

I got a recommendation from a pro that 12% utilisation for whirlpool hops is a decent estimation. Assuming the SG of 1.044 that is similar to a 12-15minute addition. So I used that + beer smith to come up with my IBU's for the batch.

It came out (for my system), like this:

Recipe: Mountain Goat Steam Ale TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Pale Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 5.1 EBC SRM RANGE: 9.8-27.6 EBC
IBU: 0.0 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 30.0-45.0 IBUs
OG: 1.044 SG OG RANGE: 1.045-1.060 SG
FG: 1.010 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.015 SG
BU:GU: 0.000 Calories: 427.1 kcal/l Est ABV: 4.5 %
EE%: 80.00 % Batch: 65.00 l Boil: 78.80 l BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
34.34 ml Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
34.00 ml Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

Total Grain Weight: 11.50 kg Total Hops: 258.00 g oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.06 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 3 87.5 %
1.44 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 4 12.5 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 57.01 l of water at 57.5 C 55.0 C 15 min
Saccharification Heat to 67.0 C over 15 min 67.0 C 45 min
Protein Rest 2 Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C 10 min
Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 4 min 78.0 C 10 min

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG Est OG: 1.044 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
35.00 g Citra [11.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
35.00 g Galaxy [13.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
35.00 g Motueka [6.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Dry hops:

Code:
51.00 g               Citra [11.90 %] - Dry 3.0 days          Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
51.00 g               Galaxy [13.90 %] - Dry 3.0 days         Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
51.00 g               Motueka [6.90 %] - Dry 3.0 days         Hop           8        0.0 IBUs
:)

Thanks sly
So after flame out you let it sit for 10 min then add the hops and whirlpool for 15 min then chill?
Also how soon do you dry hop

Cheers

I cube. If you chill then throw them in 5 minutes post flame out and leave for 20 then chill.

I dry hop for 3 days.

Got an update on how this is going? I'm looking to brew something similar for Australia day... possibly subbing the wheat for a certain, stereotypical aussie breakfast cereal

Got an update on how this is going? I'm looking to brew something similar for Australia day... possibly subbing the wheat for a certain, stereotypical aussie breakfast cereal
I wouldn't do that, it will turn into concrete! Google it and see.

I bottled this last night, didn't want to keg it as the cube I gave to my mate disappeared in one night!

Smelled amazing! Tastes amazing too! Needs some time to mellow due to the Galaxy and Citra dry hop (2.5 days) as they are crazy hops.

Would go .5 galaxy, 1g Motueka, 1g Citra on dry hop next time (did .7 each)

This beer will disappear in seconds when my mates get their hands on it!

carpedaym said:

Edak said:

If you want to put in a novelty Australian breakfast cereal, go with a small amount of Uncle Toby's oats.

Edak said:
Thanks for that. I had been doing my homework and was going to throw rice hulls in, which I understood would alleviate the problem... could be wrong though... I guess I'll see!

Liam_snorkel said:
If you want to put in a novelty Australian breakfast cereal, go with a small amount of Uncle Toby's oats.
Hmm that's a good idea. I was pretty keen on weet-bix, but I'll look into it. I also ready Uncle Toby's has shredded wheat, which is 100% wheat, no salt added. Anyways, getting off-topic now.

Still OT - I used some of the Uncle Toby's shredded wheat in a BIAB mash for a CSA clone. From memory I used most of a box without issue. If you're not doing a full volume mash it might be a different story but I think it'd be fine.

Back on topic: great info in this thread, I've never brewed with no hops in the boil, the idea of it makes me nervous but I'm keen to give this recipe a crack.

On a trivial note, I thought a steam ale was a beer brewed with lager yeast at ale temperatures. Does anyone know why MG call this a steam ale?

because they felt like it. maybe for a laugh because it's an ale fermented cool (as it says on the label) instead of a lager fermented warm.

Latest posts

Back