Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've finally set up and wired my mill motor. followed the wiring diagram and I'm not having any luck with it.
When plugged in it turns on but the on/off and speed controller switch don't work. It kind of sounds like the power is pulsing.I'm at a loss as I'm not good with electronics. Any ideas?

1454841517609.jpg

1454841535520.jpg

1454841551103.jpg

I think I had the same problem when I was wiring mine up and it was because I am shit at soldering and the terminals at the on off switch were shorting. I had to redo it and make sure there was a gap between the terminals.

If it's not that then I'd be recommending getting a sparky to look at it.

I think the motor will only turn 1 way. So maybe if you have the pot wired around the opposite way?

Pretty sure the motor will turn in either direction but that can be changed by reversing the black and red wires to the motor, otherwise you would have to mount the motor a certain way for it to work and I don't think that's the case.

nosco said:

Nice job

Assume you have found it by now, however do you realise your bush is exposed?

Mine made its way out one time, jammed the mill up big time. All good when put back in though.

I've been told it's a problem with my power supply. Spoke to Shane at motion dynamics so maybe be able to sort it out. Other wise ill be buying another power supply from the ebay supplier he recommended.

Should I be able to power the motor on after I've loaded grain into the hopper? I usually turn the motor on first and then add grain, however last Saturday I forgot and added the grain first.. The motor wouldn't turn the rollers and the power supply led flickered on and off - assuming it was overloaded? I got the powersupply fro aliexpress > is meant to be 30amp.... Did I get ripped off or is this normal?

I am able to start my mill already loaded with grain, I don't have a massive hopper and have a 2 roller mill, not sure if either of those things would make a difference.

contrarian said:
I am able to start my mill already loaded with grain, I don't have a massive hopper and have a 2 roller mill, not sure if either of those things would make a difference.
Strange.... My hopper holds just on 10kg and I've got a MashMaster Mini.

Possibly is the power supply not producing what it says it is, should be able to measure it with a multi meter but I would know exactly how.

Will the mill run unladen? My bets on a dodgy power supply. You could measure the 12v output with a current clamp meter or ammeter but if you're not sure I'd leave it alone.
You could also fire up the controller with a 12v car battery to rule out the controller or motor.

Edit: think I'm confusing posts. Carry on.

Camo6 said:
Will the mill run unladen? My bets on a dodgy power supply. You could measure the 12v output with a current clamp meter or ammeter but if you're not sure I'd leave it alone.
You could also fire up the controller with a 12v car battery to rule out the controller or motor.

Edit: think I'm confusing posts. Carry on.
The mill runs unladen well, it runs laden as long as it's running at speed first. If the mill is powered off and grain is added, it won't power on and the power supply makes a 'pulsating' noise as the rollers attempt to turn.

My mill will start with a hopper full of grain but have to crank up the speed knob and then turn it back down. But if i have it running and add grain it gust chews threw it like it was on a picnic.

James

Wheat gives it a work out though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, I was beginning to wonder if this thread had an end :mellow: . Big thanks to the OP and everyone else for furthering the discussion, looks like a great product.

As I read through all the posts I could't find anyone using the same mill as me, and as it's on the bigger end of the spectrum I'd rest easier knowing it's been proven for my requirements, MM-3 Pro.
Anyone running a mill with 3x, 2 inch diameter rollers, or bigger?
Cheers.

P.S. Is this it the same model Full Pint are selling here

Pretty sure DJ_L3thal is running a motion dynamics on an MM3. The roller diameter will make little difference. I'm pretty sure a larger diameter roller would require less torque to pull the grain through due to the entry angle being shallower, but that's just brain-thinkin' so don't quote me.

Finally got my mill up and running. After a couple of hurdles and abit of stuffing around it's all done. Can't wait to brew again.

1458102476718.jpg

res said:
Wow, I was beginning to wonder if this thread had an end :mellow: . Big thanks to the OP and everyone else for furthering the discussion, looks like a great product.

As I read through all the posts I could't find anyone using the same mill as me, and as it's on the bigger end of the spectrum I'd rest easier knowing it's been proven for my requirements, MM-3 Pro.
Cheers.

Yes I run a bigger Monster Mill 3... Confirmed

res said:

Cheers.

My mill has 2 X 60 mm dia. rollers @ 200 mm long. Easy enough to hand crank, but now seriously looking at motorising.

Thanks for the replies lads,
I emailed Monster yesterday to try and get something definitive regarding torque, this is the response:

On 3/14/2016 11:00 PM, res wrote:

Hey guys,
I have the MM-3 Pro 2 inch rollers etc.. I'm looking to motorize it soon and need to know the minimum torque requirements, preferably in Newton Meters? Any advice greatly appreciated.

approx 100 in-lb with the 2Pro, and 150 in-lb with the 3 Pro.

~~fred francis
MBH

I think that works out to 11.2 and 16.9 Nm.
A little tight but should be fine.

Latest posts

Back