Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattSR said:
Hi Camo6 - just one more question, is 320mA the no load current draw with your setup? i.e. the mill is just turning with no grain in it?
Cheers Matt, although I like the look of these steel rigs a lot better. Not as ghetto as my old chipboard set of drawers. I didn't adjust the crush on my minimill for wheat and didn't have any issues. Yeah the pic shows it running unloaded. When milling it gets to about 4 amps though it did creep up the other day and even sheared the split pin. But then I took the lid off the bucket underneath and it worked a bit better... :unsure:

labels said:
A self locking pin is best. This is a round hollow pin with a slit up one side, they are made of hard steel like spring steel. Use a pin just slightly oversize and the slit will close up a little when pressed into the hole locking the pin into place. (sometimes known as selock pins)
I know these as spring pins Labels and would've used them if I had some at hand. Kinda glad I stuck with the split pin though as it worked well as a shear pin when it was under too much load.

Hi Labels
I agree with Camo6 the roll pins are probably a bit strong for shear pin protection. I have upsized the stainless and so far so good?.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MattSR said:
Good idea, but I am planning a wheat beer with at least 70% wheat grain in it.. :/
I burnt out my first drill based mill motor. Was cracking a wheat/barley malt bill, but had not homogenized the grist. The motor started chugging when it got to the wheat and let the smoke out.

Now I use my hand/arms to premix the grist in the bucket a bit before dumping into the hopper. And also have a motion dynamics motor ;)

Bunnings, repco, bursons, any bolt store or hardware.

Just be sure to get the size that is a snug fit for the hole you drilled.

Finally found the time to put my mill together, thanks to everyone who answered questions I had along the way.

20150518_152118.jpg

In only 11 bags of grain, I have found 4 pieces of wood and finally a rock today... a decent sized one about 10mm across..

Motion - is there an ETA for the current limiting supply? The forecast for my mill looks ominous and i shall be checking my grain thoroughly in future!

Cheers,
Matt

Ok cool - will it have a similar footprint to the old controller?

I made them up its just 50mm angle from the hardware store

Howdy all. Just wondering would a 12v 30A 360w power supply be suitable for the motion dynamics mill motor?

Sounds about right, motion dynamics posted a link earlier in the thread to a suitable one try looking back a bit

keen to get on this when modifications are made

I sent an email earlier in the week and got told it would be available in the next week or so.

Back