Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp - June 14, 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevandjo said:
Stupid question. If I lodge via compmaster will I be able to access my feedback. The reason I ask is my previous (manually entered) beer comp entry ( different club ) never gave me any feedback which was very disappointing.
Who/what was the club & the comp. you entered? Mostly, the organisers are good at getting judging sheets out to entrants reasonably quickly, so I'm guessing there may have been some info. missing from your manual entry form that's caused the problem?

PM me your details (& details of the comp. involved & I'll see if I can sort it out through the next VICBREW meeting (scheduled for tomorrow night, but might not go ahead due to apologies..).

I'd like to drop off on Saturday 13th at the Terminus and I see dropoffs required by midday. The Terminus doesn't open to the public until midday so what is the go if we want to drop off on the Saturday (I don't have a CPBF and will be filling from a keg so to do this as late as possible.) Can we leave bottles a bit earlier even if it's not open for customers? Is shortly after 12 OK?

PM MartinOC to check, he's heading that up for us. Appreciate the offer.

Midnight Brew said:
Does this event need any more stewards?
Carnie beat me to the punch by about 5 seconds!!

We can always do with an experienced hand mate. I'm sure I can find something for you to do.

MartinOC said:
Carnie beat me to the punch by about 5 seconds!!

We can always do with an experienced hand mate. I'm sure I can find something for you to do.
Book me in!

How exacting is the science of these categories?
They seem a little intimidating for the only possible entry a novice like me could make etc.

I hack out my own recipes and this Harvest IPA of mine might fall under 40 IBU as I can recognize.
and thats below the lowest range....................?
OG = 1.066
FG = 1.009
IBU = (it feels like 40IBU or less)
Color = 10.6 SRM , or 20.9 EBC
abv = 7.5%

A shitload of home grown Cascade Hops that seem to be more late hopped than early etc.
Should I bother?

Mate, remember that this is a Specialty IPA comp., so any beer you enter will be evaluated against the style guidelines applicable to whatever sub-style you put it into. That said, I believe there's also a "Popular choice" prize (for a bit of fun) that's nothing to do with specific styles?

It'll only cost you $6 to get valuable feedback from judges on where you're at with your brewing generally, even if they do mark-down for being out of style.

Danscraftbeer said:
How exacting is the science of these categories?
They seem a little intimidating for the only possible entry a novice like me could make etc.

I hack out my own recipes and this Harvest IPA of mine might fall under 40 IBU as I can recognize.
and thats below the lowest range....................?
OG = 1.066
FG = 1.009
IBU = (it feels like 40IBU or less)
Color = 10.6 SRM , or 20.9 EBC
abv = 7.5%

A shitload of home grown Cascade Hops that seem to be more late hopped than early etc.
Should I bother?
7.5% and <40 IBU sounds a little out of balance, but which IPA are you going for? Is it Black, Red, White or Belgian? If the other components aren't there (colour, yeast etc), maybe not.

big78sam said:
I'd like to drop off on Saturday 13th at the Terminus and I see dropoffs required by midday. The Terminus doesn't open to the public until midday so what is the go if we want to drop off on the Saturday (I don't have a CPBF and will be filling from a keg so to do this as late as possible.) Can we leave bottles a bit earlier even if it's not open for customers? Is shortly after 12 OK?
Bump. Anyone have an idea? I can ring the terminus but would prefer a confirmation from someone organizing.

I've got a whacked out hoppy apa? only in grolsch, probably a bit rude tho isn't it?

big78sam said:
Bump. Anyone have an idea? I can ring the terminus but would prefer a confirmation from someone organizing.
I will message one of the chief stewards for you

big78sam said:
Sorry, missed your orginal message. Just after midday will be fine, I'll look into pushing that Saturday time out to 1pm.

droid said:
I've got a whacked out hoppy apa? only in grolsch, probably a bit rude tho isn't it?
Your call droid...chuck it in Red or Brown and just take the points hit on a couple of fronts? As others have said, we have a "Carwyn's Choice" for the Carywn Cellar's guys favourite beer that's "not quite" to style...so you never know!

Cheers guys.
<<<<<<Thats it in the photo ha,,
Spiesy said:
7.5% and <40 IBU sounds a little out of balance, but which IPA are you going for? Is it Black, Red, White or Belgian? If the other components aren't there (colour, yeast etc), maybe not.
It falls into Brown IPA buy the skin of its teeth but all over the shop really. Bottom end of IBU and color. Top end of ABV.
The results of guesstimating fresh home grown Cascade hops. It wasn't made to go in a comp.
Its only just carbonated in keg so I'll see what its like after a week or so, might throw it in anyway for the exercise.
Its a good beer actually but would be a lot better around 50 to 60 IBU.

Danscraftbeer said:
Cheers guys.
<<<<<<Thats it in the photo ha,,
It falls into Brown IPA buy the skin of its teeth but all over the shop really. Bottom end of IBU and color. Top end of ABV.
The results of guesstimating fresh home grown Cascade hops. It wasn't made to go in a comp.
Its only just carbonated in keg so I'll see what its like after a week or so, might throw it in anyway for the exercise.
Its a good beer actually but would be a lot better around 50 to 60 IBU.
No better way to learn about your beer (and your brewing) than by entering it into a comp!

carniebrew said:
Sorry, missed your orginal message. Just after midday will be fine, I'll look into pushing that Saturday time out to 1pm.
Thanks mate.

Threw a couple of bottles in the post today, should be interesting to see the results. The more unusual styles like White and Belgian are quite tricky as I've found out, couldn't find a recipe for a Belgian that fit the style guide anywhere. So I just threw hops at it until it couldn't take any more and am hoping for the best!

Is there a list of drop-off points anywhere? I'll be travelling down the Calder this Sunday.

Back