Melbourne (vic) Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I are getting in on the Thurs arvo. We wont have wheels so getting around, outside, of town will be tough.

The festival runs from the Friday till Sunday??

Linz said:
The wife and I are getting in on the Thurs arvo. We wont have wheels so getting around, outside, of town will be tough.
Yeah, at least with a car you can chuck the ball and chain in the passenger seat otherwise its a bit of a drag.

Hi i'm also from meblourne Brunswick , and would like to learn more about home brew. Been brewing on and off for a few years. But have really become interested in the last few months, my beers are too inconsistent. I made an esb czech pilsner and added 20gms of saaz hops (i love really hoppy flavours) i had one last week and really enjoyed it, and i had one a few days ago and it wasn't nearly as good which pissed me off because i brought it around to my mates house to show off. Anyway i'd love to find out more about brewing, however all grain brewing is still a long way off. I'd love to hear from some fellow melburnians. Oh and what's the best home brew store in melbourne in both price and range. Cheers.

So is there actually a regular Melbourne meet? Is there enough of us?

This thead seems rather dead, but it's airlocked so I'm guessing people are still keen for it.

Maybe we should try and get something going for this summer? Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

i'm keen, it would be a great way for amateur brewers like myself to learn from more experienced brewers.

Scotty

I'm really keen, I only got along to one Melbourne Brewers meet (it's a bit of a trek for me, I'm in the northern suburbs) but they seemed like a great bunch of folks and I'm keen as mustard to join in the steinbier brewing session.

I'm a regular camper and AG brewer but I've never combined the two.

I have a trailer and a mobile 6-keg chest freezer :)

The meeting last night was a ripper, with tasting of Pale Lagers the highlight. 11 beers from the following categories:

Premium Australian Lager
Bohemian (Czech) Pilsner
German Pilsner
Munich Helles
Pale Continental Lager
Klsch

If anyone is considering coming along I'd highly recommend it. There's no pressure to sign up for membership, but I decided to join anyway. $30 per annum is bugger all in the overall scheme of things.

Nice to meet you last night too Wortgames.

Ditto NRB!

It's nice to know I can rest safe in the knowledge that there are very few people worse than me at distinguishing between pale lagers :blink:

For those who missed out it was a relaxed but structured evening. We were given BJCP style guideline sheets and organised into teams of three. The beers were served blind and for each one we were given 3 options to choose from. Still a lot harder than it sounds.

Much debate, colourful descriptions and lighthearted jabs at the brewer's skill ensued before the beer was named, great fun for all involved.

Thanks to Sos and all the MB guys for their hospitality and energy - hopefully it won't be another 18 months before I get back there!

:beer:

edited for clarimification

I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

Definitely a great format for the beer tasting. Not so informal as to be non-educational but not a full on judging session.

Check out the http://melbournebrewers.org/ website for contact details. The next gig for this year is the Christmas party on the 11th. Plenty of room to lay out a swag to sleep off the effects.

Im keen for meeting up and so forth. Am living in Preston however I dont have a car atm so will have to be accessable to public transport.

Ive read the whole thread and it seems as though if we want to get a fully fledged regular meeting going we will need to schedule it not only in advance but also possibly at a set date; say either timed to coincide with G&G's shows or perhaps every month on say a sat or sun 2 weeks after the monthly G&G show...?

Greetings all!

Sorry to drag up an old post...
But I have just moved to Melbourne from Canberra...

The brew club in Canberra was sensational... I am wondering if anyone knows what is around in Melbourne?

Cheers!
Scott

Hi Scott,

I like the Melbourne Brewers, they get up to heaps of good stuff, well organised and good fun. Trouble is it's a long drive home for me after sampling a brew or two. I've only been able to get to a couple of meetings in about 2 years of membership, pretty poor effort.
:(

I'm always keen to meet up with other brewers on a casual basis though - feel free to PM me.

hey MHD check out this page on the G&G website, lists all the HB clubs in Melb near the bottom of the page

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/brew_info.htm

i was going to go to the next bayside brewers meeting and maybe join but looks like i'll be moving to malvern soon so i'll be looking at joining melbourne brewers when i'm settled in, they seem to be the biggest of the lot

-Phill

I wonder if there is many Melbourne brewers that would like to meet up and tast test etc "babble" about beer.

once off, or ever few months or what ever....any opinions? or numbers of vic / melb brewers.

Ben

I thought I would revive this thread as Im interested in brewing clubs in melbourne. Anyone still going to any brewclubs in Melbourne? Im in the eastern suburbs but am willing to travel (well travel a little bit anyway).

I'm currently an active member of Melbourne Brewers.

Have been going there for about 9mnths now.

They always seem to have something interesting on the go, and there is a good mix of brewers from beginners to those that still remember when the German purity laws add yeast to the equation ;)

They usually meet in Boronia ( this month for something different we are visiting 3 Raven's brewery ).

They have lots of activities including:
club brews,
information sessions from the more experienced brewers.
Brew days at various members houses.
Brewing equipment projects.

They also run the annual comp Beerfest as well. Amongst other things.

I'm sure the other local clubs are good too.

If you want to know a bit more about Melbourne Brewers, visit the website:

http://www.melbournebrewers.org/

Cheers

Chris

I just joined the Melbourne Brewers club. wont be going to the 3 Ravens tour, but will be at the next meeting.

I'm in the S.E. suburbs and happy to meet with brewers on this side of town.

Once I get the bar open (hopefully this year) I'm more than happy to host a meeting like this providing there aren't any legal issues around home brew.

:beer:
BB

Latest posts

Back