Melbourne (vic) Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben,

Didint i tell you that i hated Fuggles!!!!!

yep once I made the beer, but after tasting it I share you passionate hate towards fuggles.

What do you use in your English ales etc where most would use fuggles?

i use one of two types of hops in english ales:

Northern Brewer
English Kent Goldings.

Hope this helps.

Bugger,

I forgot all about last weekend.

how was it ?

will there be another one.

I was as good as i guess a mash could be, lot of standing around waiting, but the time was filled in with questions and answers and if that didn't entertain, you could grab a pale ale they had on tap mmmmm nice! (although not overly pale :) )

there was some stuff on "farthers day special"

I ended up killing $220 worth of gear
grain, kits and some more lager yeasts - pitty i didn't have them last week

see you all there next time

there was prob about 20 people

Hello to all the Melb brewers,

I would consider meeting up with others if it was organised.

I am still a beginner (May 03) at this and I dont mind experimenting at this stage with whatever I can get in kits and from the shelf of supermarkets or department stores.
This dark ale is only my third beer. My first was a lager that came with the kit I purchased. That was at least drinkable even though I did drink it too soon. Second was a real ale which only has a few bottles left. Very nice...for me anyway. All have been coopers. Got the 2 ales for 2$ in safeway on special.
Ive also made 2 ginger and 1 cider brew so far as well.
I will probably move on to more complicated brewing in the future but for the moment I'm just doing what I'm doing.

I researched extensivley before I started and still do and I find advice on these sort of sites really good. There is an excellent variety of people who have brewed for ages between them. I am also currently reading 2 books on the subjest as well. Charlie Papazian's (USA) The home Brewers Companionand Laurie Strachan's (OZ) The Complete guide to hombrewing in Australia as well as John Palmers How to brew on the net.

Ive been to 2 homebrew shops just to look around and see what is available and to pick up minor but needed stuff for brewing eg Thermometers, bungs etc
I know where grain and grape is and I will go there when I get a chance.

This can be an expensive hobby so I'll build it up as I go along. I'm sourcing materials from wherever I can as cheaply as possible.
I already have 3 fermenters and heaps of grolsch bottles (I find them easier)
When and if I get into grain I will look into it then.

I'm going to put on a coles home brand this weekend to see how that turns out.
Hey, to me its still a novelty that you can actualy make pretty nice tasting beer at home fom a can and a kilo of sugar. And I do know that with a bit more effort you can make excellent beer at home.

Cheers to everyone

I would start with good kits, coopers as a basic kit through to the better ones at the home brew shop (where they look after the kits temps etc)

Now yes they may cost $3 more or so but over a complete brew :) its nothing per bottle.

2ndly i would use a "brewing sugar mix" these have some dry malt etc in them and HEAPS better than plain sugar (i only ever brewed once with sugar and i stopped for about 1-2 yrs after that first brew)

then move to kits + malt extract and some hops, then add some grains to it, maybe try some extract brews with your hops and grains etc, mini mash , then full mash

now all grain (i think)is great but you can make great cheap beers with simple kits

(also there is different yeasts from Kit to Saf (ale,lager,wheat) to liquid yeasts)

There is so many things to try u will never get bored

Hey Melb Guys,

I was wondering whether or not you would all like to catch up, and yarn and taste each other's homebrew. :chug: It would be good to get some feed back on couple of my brews.

Maybe we could meet a Grape N Grain, brew demo that they have at there shop every month :)

sounds good mate, can chat taste and buy supplies

mind you its very tight when it gets busy in the shop.

its other side of the city for me but a easy drive on sat morning

Of course you could all come out to Murrindindi tomorrow for the Steinbrew. It has been organised by melbourne brewers but it is on a public camping ground and you would all be welcome to join in. The brewers in the club are a friendly bunch, a lot of them don't frequent cyberspace all that much.

If anyone is interested there is a Brew demo on this Saturday starting at around 11 at the G&G. I have to try and get there to pick up some stuff but I wont be able to stick around. Thats if I even make it there. Darn it. I've been wanting to see a mash session.

cheers

I wont be able to make it to the G&G demo this weekend :( But I'll try next month! I believe they are making an APA this Saturday. :chug:

i did not make it due to a very busy week month year. I was stuck up in the roof with fiberglass in my eyes throat etc yay fun

I will try to make it to the next mash brew for a chat etc. Would like to catch up with fellow brewers...

just look for the young punk guy, possibly hung over due to large friday nights ;)

Im thinking about coming down. I was there the other day picking up some supplies, when the guy in the shop told me about it. I wouldnt mind seeing how a AG brew is done. As long as Im not too hungover, I should be able to make it.

Morry,

What part of town are you in? If you are over the east side we have regular brewdays at melbournebrewers. Check out melbournebrewers.org or get in touch off line.

cheers

Im from the west. Someone has mentioned the melbourne brewers club and it sounds very tempting. I believe there is also a club in footscray somewhere. I reckon Ill get round to it eventually.

Morry, the club out west is the Westgate Brewers. There are some contact details at the Grain and Grape:

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/clubs/wgate.htm

Of course we would love to see you at Melbourne Brewers but the travel would be a pain. All the melbourne clubs get together fairly regularly due to the numerous comps, especially at this time of year.

cheers

Are you guys getting together for the Australian Beer Awards??

My missus has booked plane tickets for a weekend in May? :huh: (probably interupt a real footy game 'tween the Saints and those jokers the Knights <_< ), and got some B&B accom across the road from an??Exhibition hall??? B)

Linz said:
Are you guys getting together for the Australian Beer Awards??
Last year lots of people went along from Melbourne Brewers but it was pretty haphazard, last minute stuff.

With the other half tagging along I guess your not interested in a brew day or something?

Back