Melbourne grain bulk buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had a response from supplier for a day. I'll be phoning them tomorrow.
No cut off determined yet, along with actual available grain. Bit annoying really.
Sorry for the inconvenience everyone

TBH, You might want to look at buying a mill.

Part of the idea with (bulk) buying whole grain is that you can crack it whenever you're going to brew. So it's cracked fresh. Once cracked, the grain might be good for a month or 2, but I'd want to be using it with a fortnight, if not a few days. OTOH, whole grain can keep for at least a year, general 2 in my experience (longer for spec malts).
When I say "keep" or fresh, I'm referring to both flavour but also the diastatic (enzyme) power of the malt.

It means another ~$100-150 up front as part of your Bulk Buy expense. But if you save, say, $30-70 on cheaper grain, then you're only spending $50-80 on a piece of gear that'll last for years, and enable you to buy (cheaper) whole grain from now on. Bargains!!

... and down the rabbit hole you tumble ... [emoji1]

TBH, You might want to look at buying a mill.

Part of the idea with (bulk) buying whole grain is that you can crack it whenever you're going to brew. So it's cracked fresh. Once cracked, the grain might be good for a month or 2, but I'd want to be using it with a fortnight, if not a few days. OTOH, whole grain can keep for at least a year, general 2 in my experience (longer for spec malts).
When I say "keep" or fresh, I'm referring to both flavour but also the diastatic (enzyme) power of the malt.

It means another ~$100-150 up front as part of your Bulk Buy expense. But if you save, say, $30-70 on cheaper grain, then you're only spending $50-80 on a piece of gear that'll last for years, and enable you to buy (cheaper) whole grain from now on. Bargains!!

... and down the rabbit hole you tumble ... [emoji1]
yeah.. damn you rabbit hole, i am just far to space poor for a mill and getting the LHBS to do it just saves epic head aches.
one day i will mill my own grain, one day...

yeah.. damn you rabbit hole, i am just far to space poor for a mill and getting the LHBS to do it just saves epic head aches.
one day i will mill my own grain, one day...

Just get a cheap corona mill off ebay as a start, I have one for when I grind corn or my Mashmaster mini isnt setup (have killed a few couplers and need to remount the motor atm)

Have done 7-9kg through one and while its a work out on the arms it isnt too bad, biggest tip is to tie a plastic shopping bag around it to catch the grain (can do about 1kg per bag) and it keeps the mess down

Chateau do an Organic malt- their 'Nature' range. Would love to get my hands on that!

could get one of these units
I have one of these, works well actually!
Although I did cut a thread on the shaft so i could screw a nut on with a spring washer to help tension and hold everything in place better. Easy to adjust the grinding thickness too

BTW still working hard to round up the Bulk Buy ingredients list."seeingstars:
Price's i've been told won't budge :(
The $/kg as indicated earlier, excludes GST....so we'll need to add 10%,
for example a 25kg bag of Chateau Pale Ale malt will be $42.63. Still pretty good eh?

Dates haven't even been thought about, but I know some of you are needing base malts very soon so i'm keeping this in mind.
We'll work all the details out once products are confirmed.

Attachments

• order recipe adjust volume.JPG
    order recipe adjust volume.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 125
  • BeerRecipe-157.pdf
    300.3 KB · Views: 77
Prices are fine.
They haven't been very forthcoming with actual available stock...

Maybe we should look into another supplier. Anyone have idea's?
I contacted Cryer malt but no such luck. Need a legitimate beer related business to purchase through.

Prices are fine.
They haven't been very forthcoming with actual available stock...

Maybe we should look into another supplier. Anyone have idea's?
I contacted Cryer malt but no such luck. Need a legitimate beer related business to purchase through.

Have a chat with Clever brewing.. failing that there's some other non-forum sponsors that could potentially be up for it.

Latest posts

Back