Grain and Grape Closing Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Just received an email from John from Grain and Grape saying they're closing down. He's retiring (after 34 years of serving the HB community) and the building's lease finishes up as well.

This is a real loss of the Melbourne home-brewing community. Grain and Grape is a store full of knowledgeable staff and they always had the best ingredients available. They gave me countless pieces of advice over the years, from kits and bits, equipment and were vital in helping set up my first all grain system as well as lots of recipe and ingredient advice.

I hope someone is able to step in a fill the massive void that will left when they close their doors for the last time.

It's a shame to see the loss of a one of the finest home brew shops around.

Thanks John and the team for all your fantastic service over the years and all the best in your retirement.

JD

This is terrible news! Such a great shop and always so helpful. However, everyone has a right to call it a day at some point.

So my first question is, is there anywhere else that can provide small all-grain batches for my 10L Brau?

😢

Received the same email myself, very Sad news, as mentioned above they stock some good quality stuff. I think they import Wyeast yeasts, I use 1469 and some of the lager strains from time to time, I will miss them greatly.

It would seem to leave a huge gap in home brewing supplies in Australia, hopefully someone will step up to import Braumister and Wyeast.

Also mentioned above GHB, Dave is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, he too is going to miss G&G. The guy who got me started directed me to GHB and I have never looked back, they will supply hops to the gram and grain to the gram too so they will be able to make up your 10L batch grain bill.

I first walked into G & G when they were up on Rosamond Rd. Got me started homebrewing with plenty of great advice. Unfortunately the expansion saw them hire a few dodgy counter staff that simply could not be trusted. Stopped buying from them years ago.

John himself has done an enormous amount of good for homebrewing.

Their brewing demos were so valuable when I was starting out all grain brewing.
Great selection of yeast and grains.
Thanks for Thier contributions to home brewing.

Who will take over being the braumeister supplier?

Please, somebody keep it going (I'm too old).

They have had to temporarily turn off the online shop and therefore the sale. Their inventory system broke with the number of orders. Fingers crossed that people that ordered yesterday can get their orders fulfilled.

Anyone know why they decided to close down rather than sell the business?

See comment in the first post: He's retiring (after 34 years of serving the HB community) and the building's lease finishes up as well.

Yes I saw that, but you'd think that a buyer could be found for a successful business. And leases can be renewed or the shop could move. Anyway, just curious.

Yes I saw that, but you'd think that a buyer could be found for a successful business. And leases can be renewed or the shop could move. Anyway, just curious.
Yeah 100%. They were frequent winners of home brew store of the year.

Surely there’s a valuable business there.

** This post is purely speculation on my part **

I'd guess that the emergence of the two Ks and their price war has cut into G&G's profit margin significantly. So while the business remains profitable, the tight margins mean that it's difficult/impossible to obtain a business loan (at least on reasonable terms) for someone who wants to carry on the business as a passion (e.g. an existing employee or a home brewer). Paying off a loan would also cut further into the already tight margins, enough that it may make the purchase an outright non-starter.

Similarly, the tight margins would make the business much less attractive to investors with enough cash to buy the business outright. And the number of home brewers in Melbourne with sufficient spare $$$ in their bank accounts AND who want to take on a passion project of this scale is apparently zero. And I don't think that a syndicate of home brewers all chipping in a few grand would work. Too many brewers spoil the wort.

** End rampant speculation and guesswork **

Very sad to see G&G close. From a purely selfish perspective this is really disappointing. It’s my local shop and I need new gas, and was planning to buy a couple of FWKs because ai haven’t had time to brew lately.
Anyone hear when they’ll open the doors again? With or without a sale they’ll have my business while they’re still there.

I just hope they'll have enough left to cover my grain book once they reopen, otherwise I'll be unimpressed. If they knew they were planning to close perhaps they should have emailed anyone with a grain book and told them to run it down before X date because they're phasing them out or something.

Latest posts

Back