Melbourne grain bulk buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rules:
All malts can be split in half 12.5kg lots.
Specialty malts down to 5kg if enough interest.
Hops by the single kg as single bags are 5kg.

Quantify away peeps!

Yes, although they don't split so it would be done by me.
I can split hops down to the 1kg. Or do you guys think 500g is more realistic?
I won't necessarily have time to vacuum seal, more likely split at the latest minute possible prior to pickup and into double zip lock bags.
If this isn't acceptable please let me know and I'll see what I can work out.

Mods: should we keep this thread as is or do I need to modify/create a new one?

I'll later upload the Chateau product list with descriptions for better understanding of what it all is

That is cheap for Belgian pale! Im stocked till summer I think but very tempting.

Pending pickup date and time I'll volunteer to split and vac seal the hops if the costs of bags are covered.

If you're going to split hops, you really want to be vac sealing them ASAP if we can. Maybe those getting into hops can bring a few vac sealers?
1 kg splits might be ok, 500g lots is probably more appealing. You're setting up the BB, so it's whatever you can be bothered dealing with or think the BB venue can handle.

Yeah, i've got one as well. Not sure if i'll bite on the hops, but i just thought if we have a few rock up it means we can spread the load a little & one guy's sealer isn't getting smashed.

Yeah totally, not worth the risk with hops. So I said to my wife, we should get a vacuum sealed. She said oh we already have one! Fark why haven't I seen it haha!
Also noticed there isn't any Pilsner malt. Only Vienna... which is probably nice for mixing with other malts in ales etc

Anyone used this malt supplier before? I'd be keen on a sack of pale and munich.

Hi all,

Final list will be done today/tonight.
Please see attached product catalog for your research.
I'll get back asap with the list & price.

The bad news:
The supplier currently has a number of committed malts allocated for breweries, so unfortunately we don't have access to everything.
This means no Château Pilsen.

The good news:
Château Biscuit is confirmed available (400kg in stock and i'm awaiting /kg price)
I have a vacuum sealer.

If all this goes ahead, how would you like to play it out?

1) pick a date & time for pickup for everyone, which includes splitting of malt & hops. Taken home as fresh as possible (with your own malt bags/buckets/storage containers but maybe i can request some malt bags)

2) me to organise splits of malt & hops, including bags. I have limited space for freezing hops, possibly around 5-10kg max.

Side note:
Ellerslie Hops will be a Victorian distributor for Coopers malted grain, at red hot competitive prices.
Expect to see these available September/October.

Cheers

Attachments

• EHE_MALTs.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
FWIW, just went through that product catalogue you posted in post#94, PBJ.
Big ups to Castle for excellent concise descriptions of their malts.
Nothing earth shattering, but the malts all have great descriptions of exactly the typical notes they bring to a beer compared to other malts. Invaluable for those of us who haven't used that particular malt before.

EDIT: that Black of Black malt sounds interesting - meant to be the equivalent of Black malt in flavour, but only at 500 EBC so doesn't impart the same dark colour.
Also, Chateau Crystal, seems to be not a caramel/crystal malt. But instead is like a darker version of Aromatic. I think.
Also worth noting Dingemanns Aromatic & Biscuit are ~50 & 60 EBC respectively. Whereas Castle Aromatic and biscuit are 100 & 50 respectively. Seems odd they're around the other way, so it'd be interesting to see how they all compare.

Last edited:
Would the pale ale & munich malts be good for doing APA/IPAs? Since they call them belgian malts - does that make a difference?

Latest posts

Back