Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah - he lost credibilty when he diss'd avocado and tofu. (he was on such a roll with Leffe Brune, too)

brussel sprouts, yes - they are rubblish - but I digress.

lots of discussion about this Yak, I will post after tasting prob. tomorrow

P.S. everyone should watch SBS at 10pm tonight...

MAUOMBO

You like Schofferhofer - so you like wheat beers. Matilda Bay has Redback Original (a wheat beer). Don't like that one either?

I'm the first to admit that a Schofferhofer is head and shoulders above Redback, but just got me curious on that one. Drinking Redback got me into exploring wheat beers further and enjoying my first few Schofferhoffers.

Hopper.

Originally I included redback in my post. To avoid looking like I was talking shit, I looked up redback on google and saw the name 'fosters'. Now I'm confused. Are there two? Originally MB, now fosters?? Same name? Same bottle? Imagine if a trappist brewery did that. What's wrong with this country?

Redback is something I can drink but I wouldn't write to my auntie in Venezuela about it.

I guess I like beers that rely on malt rather than late hopping as a general rule but rules were always made to be broken. Little Creatures PA is a good example.

Matilda Bay now apparently make two beers I find passable and several others that I don't.

Avocado makes me feel ill except when I turn it into guacamole. If people stop harassing me for not enjoying a beer that tastes like clay, I may post my super, tasty recipe in the food section.

And for my third and final post - wikipedia tells me Matilda Bay is owned by fosters so where's yer boutique microbrewery now eh?

ok who are the wise guys who bought all the Fat Yak from Newcastle today before I went out this arvo?

MAUOMBO

Never met a beer from Matilda Bay I would willingly drink again.

Thats a big call, You must be sampling or brewing some very special beers. If so Thats great!! I know there are better beers out there, but seriously as a brand name, what do you have against Matilda Bay?

while I was attempting to buy FY, I found a six pack of 345ml APA - for $30 - isnt that a bit steep? is it worth it???

thanks

MAUOMBO

Thats a big call, You must be sampling or brewing some very special beers. If so Thats great!! I know there are better beers out there, but seriously as a brand name, what do you have against Matilda Bay?

It's not that big a call. They make about 4 or 5 readily available commercial beers and most of those are generally not to my taste. I went into some detail in other parts of the thread about why I don't really enjoy them. Nothing against the brand name except I don't like their beer.

I'm not sure why anyone would care so much that I don't. I've tried the beers. I didn't like most of those I tried. I wouldn't purchase the beer again if I had a choice and if I didn't have a beer alternative I'd choose a bottle of red wine over MB rooftop.

while I was attempting to buy FY, I found a six pack of 345ml APA - for $30 - isnt that a bit steep? is it worth it???

I paid that the first time I tried it, expensive and good, but I don't think it's worth the price asked at some bottle shops.

I enjoyed it, but didn't have the hop hit that I expected it might. Might have been an old bottle, but I think I've had it about 8 times now and never really been overly impressed by it. A bit like JS Golden, good, but not what I'd heard it might be.

Kev

$30!! far out, i thought $20 was a bit rich.
$20 is the limit for me for a 6 pack. but I suppose its changes for where you are.

I paid $35 for a 3pack of Unibroue longnecks a while ago........

Because of the great fuss, when I saw a fat yak in the bottle shop on the way to visit my brother I thought I'd give it a go.

I have to admit it was ok - quite drinkable but very similar to little creatures with that very obvious late hopped taste.

It wouldn't have been obvious as late hopping a few months ago before learning a bit about hops due to HB plus AHB.com (I would have tasted it but not placed the taste) but today it tasted a little like I'd opened a bag of hop pellets and decided to have a snack. Very florally, a bit lemony. Personally I prefer a more judicial use of hops mixed with interesting malt flavours.

I like single malt whisky and dark beers, eastern european pilsners etc. It's all about the malt for me (or it's a lot about the malt anyway).

I'm less in a rush to slag off matilda but I'm not in a rush to buy more fat yak. How's that for a compromise?

Absolutely. That's the joy of drinking, music, art, architecture and a millio other things for those lucky enough to have a choice.

Discussion and disagreement are good things. Both stem from passion which is one of the most sound concepts of which I can think I can think of can think I have of.

which.

Originally I included redback in my post. To avoid looking like I was talking shit, I looked up redback on google and saw the name 'fosters'. Now I'm confused. Are there two? Originally MB, now fosters?? Same name? Same bottle? Imagine if a trappist brewery did that. What's wrong with this country?

Redback is something I can drink but I wouldn't write to my auntie in Venezuela about it.

I guess I like beers that rely on malt rather than late hopping as a general rule but rules were always made to be broken. Little Creatures PA is a good example.

Matilda Bay now apparently make two beers I find passable and several others that I don't.

Avocado makes me feel ill except when I turn it into guacamole. If people stop harassing me for not enjoying a beer that tastes like clay, I may post my super, tasty recipe in the food section.

Matilda bay was originally independent but was bought over by the fosters group quite some time ago.

Tried fat yak at the gate tavern (near gateways shopping center) about a month ago and must say I quite liked it. I found it to have strong mango flavor to it, and I freakin' love mangoes...

Avocados are lovely in toasted sandwiches....

went to Hornsby Dan Murphys today and was impressed with the range of micro-brew from Oz. No Yak (although every other from that brewer) about 4 or so brews from wineries. Most beers were on the light side and advertised the hops, few were darker and talking about malt flavours (sign of the market, I guess)

I reckon the coopers vintage was the pick ($79 case)

anyhoo, thought the pint size bottles were good from little creatures and bought a case to get the pint size bottles for my bottling

MAUOMBO

Tried one these on tap. It was nice in comparison to your other beers... but nothing out of the ordinary APA/Golden Ale. Tasted quite similar to the James Squire Golden ale just a bit stronger/complex, and a less intense version of a little creatures pale ale.
Many beers I would prefer to buy at the bottlo but worth a try if its on tap I guess.

BTW... Does anyone know where I can get the Alpha Pale Ale (Matilda Bay) in bottles??? Haven't seen it at Dan's!

Back