Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fat Yak is available in the bottlo attached to the pub on cnr New Canterbury and Marrickville Rd, I just saw it tonight.

Damn should have read this last night I was down in Duntroon Street Hurlstone Park at 7am this morning, could have dropped by and grabbed a case, now back at work in Mona Vale.

I have had it on tap a number of times in Sydney pubs, Nice and fresh and I really like it, but I have indigestion or something after it??
Like it makes me burp a lot more than usual. And when I burp I taste the hops again. Even after six other beers including stouts etc, when I burp I still taste the fat yak hops, strange.

Did you get that from the brewer Brendo? Thought it was bittered with Super Alpha.

Screwy

Hey Screwy... it was from the brewer (well one of them) - however we may have been mostly talking about the aroma/flavour hopping - so the Alpha may well employ Super Alpha for bittering, not too sure on that front. The conversation was mostly centrered around the differences in the hop presence between APA and FY.

Cheers,

Brendo

Damn should have read this last night I was down in Duntroon Street Hurlstone Park at 7am this morning, could have dropped by and grabbed a case, now back at work in Mona Vale.

I have had it on tap a number of times in Sydney pubs, Nice and fresh and I really like it, but I have indigestion or something after it??
Like it makes me burp a lot more than usual. And when I burp I taste the hops again. Even after six other beers including stouts etc, when I burp I still taste the fat yak hops, strange.

I noticed this too, even the next day. It's a good thing, love it. Same thing happened when I dry hopped home brew.

My GF had one with lunch yesterday and loved it, Reckons she'll be looking out for it at Dans.

I had one over lunch today. Not bad. Certainly better that the Carlton Draft my workmates were all drinking.

I can see what everyone says about burping hops too *burp*.

Cheers
Dave

Never met a beer from Matilda Bay I would willingly drink again.

you must have had bottles that were off in some way, or well past use by, or stored badly.

You telling me youve had a fresh alpha, dogbolter, rooftop red, or bohemian pils, and not liked them one bit?

Good to see I'm not the only one who had hop burps going on....

For some reason I'd imagine the effect is less when purchased in the bottle...

Hop farts are the worse.... That is what I have heard as I wouldnt know as Im a girl..

Yes, we all know women don't fart, they never shut up long enough to build up the pressure :p:p j/k

Your own personal hopback :lol:

Or is it some insidious viral/subliminal marketing campaign, reminding you to have another fat yak..... :ph34r:

Cheers, Andrew.

you must have had bottles that were off in some way, or well past use by, or stored badly.

You telling me youve had a fresh alpha, dogbolter, rooftop red, or bohemian pils, and not liked them one bit?

Maybe they just weren't for me? I'm far from expert but a lot of it tastes to me like it's been late hopped by an excited, experimental teenager who's just learning how to brew. Confusing flavours that don't make a lot of sense. Maybe someone dropped their hops and was too scared throw the lot in the bin so they made it a standard recipe?

Dogbolter, Bohemian Pilsener, Rooftop red all tried and failed.

Rooftop red tastes like they actually put roofing tiles in with the brew.

The only thing I can remember about dogbolter is being unimpressed.

The Bohemian Pilsener was just unpleasant, spicy but unpleasant.

Haven't tried alpha but with a record like that I'm not chomping at the bit to do so. Maybe if a fan convinces me with a free taste test. I'm always willing to have a go but less willing to part with actual cash.

I did just discover however, that matilda are also responsible for beez neez which I do like, so I take part of it back. I would drink beez neez again.

And again.

I find it very hard to knock a Matilda Bay brew, what are you comparing with manticle?
Alpha and 'now' Fat Yak are very close to my favourites at the moment (commercial beer wise).
Bohemian Pisener was what got me into craft brewing.

I find it very hard to knock a Matilda Bay brew, what are you comparing with manticle?

Just beers that I like really.

I've only been into home brewing (beyond basic kits) for a few months and am learning a lot while knowing nothing. However I've always been experimental with my palate and since I was 18 (now 33) I would always find the drink at the bar or bottle shop I hadn't tried and give it a whirl. Every so often, usually just after pay day, I'll treat myself to 5 or 6 beers from a boutique liquor outlet that I haven't tried. Having done that with Matilda Bay, I'm not in a rush to try any of them (besides beez) again. I'm slowly developing the opinion that a few of the Australian microbreweries rely too much on late hopping to add distinction to their beers rather than local yeasts or water which perhaps forms the individual characteristics of some of the older European beers. There are some extremely tasty Australian microbrews by the way - don't misunderstand.

I like everything from Chimay Blue to Holgate stout to Leffe Brun to Hoegaarden to Guinness to Kilkenny to Duvel to Schofferhoffer to Kozel to Coopers to little creatures pale (not a fan of bright or rogers) to ciders to single malt whisky and good red wine.

I'm not saying Matilda Bay is bad. It just generally doesn't make sense to my palate.

I also dislike tofu, alfalfa, avocado and radish.

I see where manticle is coming from.

I like their Beez Neez (perfect breakfast beer imho), and I love Fat Yak. But the other ones I've tried I've been a bit unimpressed with. Bohemian Pilsner isn't my favourite, but I swear they had a different one before then, just called Matilda Bay Pils or something like that, and I really liked that.

That said, I really really like Fat Yak and I'm really keen on giving the APA a go, from what I hear it's incredible.

HOW CAN YOU DISLIKE AVOCADO?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Avocado is crap unless on a prawn sanga. As for the fat yak have only had a couple of and thought it was nice. Used to like the bees but didnt last time. Palettes are different and they change. Oh yeah the pils was reasonable compared to what else the basic bottlo has in the fridge

I like everything from Chimay Blue to Holgate stout to Leffe Brun to Hoegaarden to Guinness to Kilkenny to Duvel to Schofferhoffer to Kozel to Coopers to little creatures pale (not a fan of bright or rogers) to ciders to single malt whisky and good red wine.

You like Schofferhofer - so you like wheat beers. Matilda Bay has Redback Original (a wheat beer). Don't like that one either?

I'm the first to admit that a Schofferhofer is head and shoulders above Redback, but just got me curious on that one. Drinking Redback got me into exploring wheat beers further and enjoying my first few Schofferhoffers.

Hopper.

:icon_offtopic:

My instant response was as per above... Avocado is the absolute shiznite.

I like the MB reserve offerings, the Bohemian Pilsner and the Alpha. My least favourite by a very long shot is the Beez Neez.

ED: re: above, I think that Schofferhofer and Redback are not comparable, the latter is sweet and nothingy to my pallate. To qualify this 50% or less, I had a Schofferhofer earlier this evening.

Back